Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for yet another French resort for experienced on-piste skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

We have been skiing in French resorts for last 7 years and have visited following resorts:
Tignes - Espace Killy (2x)
Les 3 Vallees
La Plagne
Les Arcs
Chamonix

Can somebody suggest any other comparable resort for good skiers (not offpiste though) with comparable size and piste variety? Also without necessity of ski-bus transfers like in Chamonix (Ski-in/out accomodation is what French resort should be about Smile )

I am thinking about Les Deux Alpes or Alpe de Huez but wouldn't like to risk some big dissapointment. Any ideas?

Thanks!
XM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead. I ski'd in Alp D'Huez last year and there was no disapointment. Skiing to the door is just about the only option you have there so you will not be disapointed on that front. If you look at the ski map it is a good all round resort with plenty of challenging runs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serre Chevalier
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val D'Isere ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
XM, welcome. I'd recommend Deux Alpes - plenty of good piste skiing. The vilalge is a bit spread out but it's pretty much all on the flat (the pistes aren't!) so staggering around at night isn't a problem. There are plenty of hotels and apartments by the foot of the pistes but some are a bit further away so take a look at the map before choosing.

It is a bit Blackpool with snow (ie plenty of Brits) but that's probably the case in a lot of the big French resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
XM, Go back to 3v. There is no way you skied it all. Perhaps stay in a different 3v resort to last time.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
XM, Deux Alpes should fit the bill .... an alternative not in France but Francophonic at least, Verbier and the Quatre Vallées. Switzerland is no more expensive than the likes of EK or the 3Vs.

parlor's a snowHead running a chalet there, www.skiextra.co.uk

Others you might look at, the Portes du Soleil (Avoriaz for ski in/out), Les Sybelles ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
XM,
I don't know why 2 Alpes or Alped'H shoul be a dissapointment most people seem to enjoy them? Actually I don't know why people are so keen on ski in ski out without kids; most of the resorts are less attractive and more expensive . Having said that Flaine and Avoriaz should meet your requirements of decent size ski areas, ski in ski out and a good variety of slopes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
XM, maybe time to explore the world beyond France - Switzerland, Austria and Italy. Arm yourself with a copy of 'Where to Ski and Snowboard'. Look at the Dolomites network, Zermatt/Cervinia, Flims/Laax (relatively unknown, hugely good), Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang network (stay in Saalbach, great fun), Lech/Zurs or St Anton (linked by bus to Lech/Zurs), Ischgl/Samnaun (Austrian-Swiss network)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd certainly back Alpe D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes. If you stay in one, you can visit the other - and Serre Chevalier is not too much of a hike for a day trip, either, IIRC.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of Les2Alpes and Alpe'dhuez we found the slopes at Les2alpes to be more interesting and less busy with a greater variety of runs. There were more bars and restaurants in easy reach for apres as well, but as mentioned above Alpe d'huez probably has the edge for true ski-in ski-out but the lifts at les2A run right from the centre so no bus journeys required.

Don't know what sort of accommodation you are looking for but if it's hotel I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hotel Chalet Mounier. Not cheap but very comfortable with friendly staff and excellent food. http://www.chalet-mounier.com/hiver/en_index.php. The hotel is a short walk from the Diablo lift.

I wouldn't say that either resort compares (in size and number of skiable kilometers) to Espace Killy, but les2A does have an easily accessible glacier so is pretty snow sure (like Tignes).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a think about Vaujany. It's connected to the Alpe d'Huez system and takes you straight into some of the most enjoyable skiing by a very efficient lift connection. Supposedly it has great facilities for kids (no experience of this myself though). Attractive traditional village. It isn't ski in ski out but you certainly won't face anything like the horrors of the Chamonix bus system

edit: don't know why I brought up kids - must have got confused with someone else's requirements

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 6-10-06 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LDA is not really of comparable size and I'm not convinced Alp d'Huez is either, although it has been a while since I went there. I found both to be a dissapointment tbh as did the rest of my group (~12 people)

I did enjoy pas/soldeu and schladming (some bussing though). Serre Chevalier might also have the scope you are looking for?

A return visit to Les Arcs or mottarett/menuires might be in order though - of all the places I've been they've been the best combo of scope/access/fun.

aj xx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajhainey, I am very surprised that you did not think ADH a reasonable size, and though it was a disappointment. Though quite a bit of our skiing was off-piste (and so outside the scope here) it seemed to me that the pisted are was pretty large (240 km of piste) - and it catered for a wide variety of skiers from very gentle greens to the toughest black I've skied (The Tunnel). It also had the longest (16km) black I have been on. Serre Chevalier (also a delightful area) has access to about 250km of piste - so broadly comparable in size to ADH.

Just to round off the figures. LDA has 220 km of piste. Plus (though again not relevant here) easy access to la Grave.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
XM, welcome to snowHead

Is there any reason you are limited to France?
snow conditions
XM, Welcome to snowheads. If you are thinking about giving Alpe D'Huez a go then you may be interested in having a look at our website as we have a chalet there. There is quite a bit of information about the resort on the website and with the piste running along side our chalet we are completely ski in ski out. I'm about to start my fourth season there and the variety of piste skiing hasn't disapointed me so far.....we always give discounts to snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
AdH I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt - it was relatively early in my skiing career, and from memory a pretty bad snow year but the reason we haven't returned is that none of us were impressed (although I am considering giving it another try this year in fact as have found a cheap deal). I thought that worth mentioning as my ski choosing criteria seem similar to the original poster.

LDA I went to last year and while it may claim 220km I am extremely skeptical about that and as a group we were not impressed - I don't think it suits convienience oriented, keen mileage hungry folk. (very good at other things, including nightlife, off piste, demanding runs etc etc before anyone has me lynched)

aj xx
snow report
AdH or LDA are both pretty good options also check out Portes de Soleil (Morzine/Avoriaz) = or Grand Massif (Flaine/Les Carroz/Samoens) which would probably suit just as well.
ski holidays
ajhainey wrote:
.............LDA I went to last year and while it may claim 220km I am extremely skeptical about that ............

I think the figure is reasonably accurate. Don't forget the considerable area the other side of the valley from the Jandri Express. Lots of interlinked intermediate skiing there. But, on the "main" side of the valley quite a few of the claimed kilometers are taken up by 2 long runs (Les Demoiselles, and the long flog down to the first station of the Jandri Express). These are really there for transit rather than pleasure.

There are many good piste runs, though, and some splendid off piste. For me, the quality of instruction is the attraction. Two of my best instructors (one is easiski) are based there.main
ski holidays
homphomp, Agree about Grand Massif - but I am biased!
snow conditions
Thanks to everybody for warm welcome and for opinions, I'll have a look at all resort suggestions. Smile
T Bar - Ski in/out is maybe too strict to define, I can accept anything what is accessible by foot in reasonable distance.
David G and Wear The Fox Hat- I am focused on France beacuse I don't know about other comparable huge skiing areas in Europe. As for the slopes quality and speed we visited Italian Marmolada/Arabba resort in March and the red/black slopes were amazing. So maybe I should start to focus on slopes structure/quality and stop looking at area size Smile For sure I'll take a look at the resorts you mentioned in other countries especially because they are much closer to Slovakia where I live.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy