Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Import costs for bindings from USA ???

Poster: A snowHead
Tried to calculate the cost if importing bindings from the USA at a value of £136.00 but proving diffcult, tried the DTI site and HM Customs, but not found the classification code or details of costings, so does anyone out there have any idea. Don't want to end up being hit with a large VAT/duty invoice as they arrive at the front door!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry, no idea. is it not something like 17.5% (Vat)+ another 10% or something. Why are you ordering bindings form the US. Have you tried some european sites for the bindings you're after where you wont be charged either. Such as sport-conrad.de and telemark-pyrenees.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edmundh009, Well EU was my first choice, but these bindings are for a pair of Canon Skiboards, 4 hole type, Called Spruce Mountain Risers with release bindings, only sold in the USA, NZ and Japan, as are most of the 4 hole release bindings for Skiboards (Blades).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sharon1953, where in the US are you getting them from, and when do you need them by?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I import a lot of items from the US. To the US selling price the retailer will add their overseas shipping charge. On anything over $35 value you'll need to pay VAT & the Customs Clearance Fee in the UK. The Clearance Fee is usually £13.50.

It's a Federal offence for a US seller to under value the goods so you pay less fees etc so don't be tempted to ask.

The normal rule of thumb is whatever the $ retail price for the item in the US you'll end up paying the same in £'s in the UK by the time the shpping, VAT & Customs have been paid, however as the £ is currently strong against the $ anything US bought at the moment you'll probably be slightly better off than this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You also need to remember that:

- if it's over the VAT limit then you pay VAT on the whole amount
- you also pay VAT on the cost of shipping.

The "customs clearance and handling fee" varies by shipper - US Post Office charges £5 - FEDEX and UPS more. The charges are set unilaterally by the shipper.

Whilst VAT rates vary, it isn't usually worth worrying about and just using 17.5% provides a good enough estimate.

I reckon I used to get away without being charged around 1 in 5 times, but it's now unusual not to be charged.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, I've been quoted $36 for shipping whch seems ok, one uses UPS worldwide. I realise that the VAT will be added. I have a telephone number now that I can ring tomorrow to find out the classification code, which I'm told will give me the duty due on them. I know the duty and VAT is charged on the whole amount which is madness paying VAT and Duty on shipping costs! Wear The Fox Hat, I don't need the item till December, and there are two suppliers I can use in USA:-

Skiboards.com
42456 US Highway 160
PO Box 829
Bayfield, CO 81122

(they use UPS)

or:-

Skiboardsonline.com
68 Cooledge Drive,
Brewster, NY 10509

(not sure who they use)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, any idea how heavy they are?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, 400g each (14 oz)
http://www.skiboards.com/bindings/sprucemountain/theriser.html

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=spruce_riser&Category_Code=bindings

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 5-10-06 22:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, From a previous thread, I posted

You can phone the Customs & Excise tarriff classification service on 01702 366077. Each item falls within a specific category. I believe that if you do have to pay VAT and import duty you also have to pay it on the P+P as well. (another govt rip off) Last year when I was looking at skis, I was told there was an additional 10% tax if you bought from USA over Canada Tue Feb 21, 06 15:18

Reply by kiwi1

gsb, Gidday,
I'm affraid it's now 12% tarriff and then the VAT. The Tarriff code for ski clothing is 621120090.

This is going to bore the hell out of anyone but, for skis and bindings the duty rate is 3.7% (code 6506110000 and 6506120000) and other stuff ski related is 2.7% (6506190000)

If you're really bored you can go to this site and get the rates so you know what can be charged.
http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarchap?Lang=EN
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gsb, someone has told me that if the sender describes it as a "gift" no duty is charged - is this fact or fiction
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wish I new the answer to that. Hard to believe knowing our Customs and Excise.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As far as I know you should be okay with something described as a gift but if the sender has the name of their shop all over the packaging the customs people might ask a few questions.

In my experience, and I've ordered stuff from the US a few times, it's up to UK customs to query the item and levy a charge at this end. Perhaps I've been lucky but I've never had to pay any customs charge and the last item I got from the USA was in a reasonably sized box and was worth more than $35 for sure.

I offer no guarantees though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, thanks, that's the site I've been looking for, found it about 6 months ago, then couldn't remember where I'd seen it. I can't understand why there isn't a link from the HM Revenue and Customs site or the Dti site, just the phone number to contact, would cut down on all the phone calls if they did ! But then we are talking Gov. offices here, so shouldn't be shocked!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what on earlth bindings are you buying from the US that cost £136? you could get race stock bindings from online retailers in the EU which cost less than that
latest report
Arno, these are specifically made for blades/skiboards, ski bindings cannot be used, different release technology, due to different impact forces - all very technical and boring. The bindings are £100 for the pairl £36.00 is shipping costs. They aren't sold in EU anywhere!
ski holidays
sharon1953, If it's a 'true' gift, yes there's no VAT or duty charged, but there are strict ways of filling out the customs declaration and if you get caught trying to fiddle . . . you will be torn a new one Evil or Very Mad As a note for future reference, warrantee/repair parts (listed as such) are VAT and duty free as the original item will be taxes paid when you bought it in the EU wink
ski holidays
these?
snow conditions
You might be better of just buying a new pair
snow report
sharon1953 wrote:
someone has told me that if the sender describes it as a "gift" no duty is charged - is this fact or fiction

This is true but there's a max value of either $35 or $50 (can't remember which) so you won't qualify anyway.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I think it's $50 now, so if the sender declares them at that value, and as a gift, then you'll be OK. The only problem is that if they go missing in the post, etc, then $50 is the amount you would get back.
snow report
comprex, PhillipStanton, These are the Salomon Blades, far too skinny for use on anything but perfect snow, tried them this year, hated them. The release binding was sold as a seperate item last season in the UK so that people could convert their old Salomon Blades to release versions, but this year, Salomon aren't supplying them in the UK, as it reduced sales of the complete, more expensive new blade. Salomon uses an 8 screw system, whereas all the other blade/binding manufacturer's use 4, so you cannot fit the Salomon release binding kit onto a Canon blade, which is what I have, even if I could buy it here. I do also have a pair of Salomon's though, a discontinued model, that is far wider, and I am in the process of buying a complete used set of blades, just to get the release binding off it, which is madness really! But needs must. The goal is to go this season with 2 different model blades, both with release bindings.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
spyderjon, I think it's $50 now, so if the sender declares them at that value, and as a gift, then you'll be OK. The only problem is that if they go missing in the post, etc, then $50 is the amount you would get back.

It's also hard to get bigger internet places to declare something as a gift. I've found that smaller shops will do it more happily.
snow report
sharon1953 wrote:
Salomon uses an 8 screw system, whereas all the other blade/binding manufacturer's use 4, so you cannot fit the Salomon release binding kit onto a Canon blade, which is what I have, even if I could buy it here.

sharon1953 - sorry, I'd got confused by another posting and have re-read the first part.

spyderjon will have a better view than me, but I'm pretty sure a good ski tech could fit any standard binding onto the Canon blades - surely it's just a matter of filling the holes and drilling new ones?

The reality of importing stuff from the US is that you've got to budget for paying the full whack in duty and VAT.

The most reliable way of getting around it would be to find someone in the US who'd be willing to have them delivered to them and then send you a "gift".

Edit - BTW - just trying to help here. If I'm not then I'll just shut up. Toofy Grin
snow report
sharon1953, Hi Sharon. I'm based in the UK and have a pair of last year's composite spruce risers that I would be willing to sell.

It's these, which I assume are the same youi've been looking at: http://www.skiboards.com/bindings/sprucemountain/theriser.html

They've been used about 10 days and are in prime working condition. You'd be making substantial savings and wouldn't have the hassle of dealing with import taxes etc Very Happy

Drop me a line at skibomb@gmail.com if you're interested.
ski holidays
sharon1953, why not just buy a pair of proper skis? wink

(Ducks for cover)
snow conditions
spyderjon, LOL, oh how I wish it was that simple!! Tried them for 5 years, lessons from everyman and his dog, soon as I got on blades, everthing changed and far less pressure on the old knees! Unless you fall badly with fixed bindings that is. skibomb, You've just saved my life!!! email on the way.
snow report
The duty is 3.7% with VAT on top, and UPS also charge for collecting the duty!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, everytime i have used skiboards.com i have been hit with customs charges, still a great shop to use though. extremely fast shipping. i was tempted for release bindings, but prefer the non-release, i use bomber regular fixed on my summit customs 110's.
snow report
Just paid £35 duty and collection charge (parcelforce) for an avvy transceiver and shovel/snow saw sent from the US which had a label saying worth $200 on the outsside. Actual cost $340 including delivery but still cheaper than buyng uK even with a discount...
ski holidays
sharon1953, have them shipped to me and I will ship them to you as a gift
ski holidays
ive just had to have a replacement set of pants sent from a manufacturer in canada - i made sure they shipped them back as 'replacement for faulty goods' cos i didnt want to get hit for the VAT like i did last time.

they were shipped 3 weeks ago and theres still no sign of them though!
snow report
I got sorted, but thanks to everyone. Got offered a pair of blades in the UK that I can take the bindings off for my Salomon's, and someone else on-line had a pair of Spruce Bindings (another set I wanted from the USA) to sell. These will fit onto my Canon blades, so thanks to snowheads, and the skiboarding forums, I got fixed up without having to import anything! The net is a wonderful thing when you don't where else to turn!! Thanks again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy