Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Greetings from sunny Washington DC...

Poster: A snowHead
Once again I'm looking to book another ski trip to Europe and am in need of recomendations on a new venue. The last three years we've gone to Wengen, staying at the Hotel Alpenrose. We absolutley love Wengen, and the Hotel Alpenrose, but feel it may be time to branch out to someplace new. Aside from Wengen, we've skiied Schalming and Solden and are not opposed to going back to either of those places. Now based upon reading these posts, I'll probably receive 20 different recommendations on where to ski, though at least let me provide you with what we're looking for and you can then provide your recommendations.

Right now we're looking at some of the Austrian resorts though are open to other locations as well.

Group size: Six (6)
Ski Level: Intermediate to Advanced (primarily on piste skiing, with nice off piste skiing for the 20 somethings in our group)
Loding Requirement: Looking for 3 double rooms, to indclude breakfast and maybe even dinner. An indoor pool/spa/jacuzzi would be an added bonus. Would like lively Apre-ski options, though doesn't have to be too extravagent.
Time frame: February 2007
Price range: Roughly $1000-$1200 US Dollars, to include 6-7 nights lodging + breakfast (and maybe dinner) and 6 day ski pass

Thank you!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-10-06 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hokie1 wrote:
Ski Level: Intermediate to Advanced

Hokie1 - it might help to be a bit more descriptive as "intermediate" is probably one of the worst abused terms in skiing!

Are you looking for well-pisted runs; bumps; off-piste; park...?

Also, are you thinking of branching out from Austria?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hokie1,

Saalbach.... good sized area with modern lifts. Good standard of hotels in a compact resort. You should get a 4*, HB and a lift pass for the money, I'd say,
or Ischgl, but you may have to work harder for the money at that time of year, but worth looking into IMV
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Are you looking for well-pisted runs; bumps; off-piste; park...?

Primarily we're looking for intermediate to advanced pisted runs, though some of the younger skiers in the group venture off-piste. Not looking for bumps or parks.

We're definitely open to other ski areas outside of Austria, so please bring any and all recommendations.

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hokie1 - thanks, that helps.

I don't know what others think, but if you've not tried them then I'd suggest either one of the French mega-resorts like: Three Valleys (Coucherval / Meribel / Val Thorens); Espace Killey (Val d'Isere / Tignes) or Portes du Soleil (Les Gets / Morzine / Avoriaz) or Verbier.

These all have miles and miles of pisted runs and provide a different type of skiing experience to Austria and North America. (Would be interested in what others think about that statement.)

What do others think?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, how is Lech/Zurs? Seems like snow is never an issue and they have quite a bit of terrain, though it doesn't appear much beyond intermediate runs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hokie1, this is slightly off topic to say the least but i hope you can help.....

i'm landing at Dulles Int Airport this Sunday and need to get to Annapolis - can you suggest the best way of doing this - dont need a hire car as have a lift arranged for way back and for local use whilst i'm there......

re your original question i'd recommend you give the 3Vs a go. plenty to keep you busy there for a week both on and off piste.

cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bad Gastein in Austria has loads of nice hotels, and a good large area (200km) suited to intermediate skiers and upward. Prices tend to be reasonable. Snow should be fine in Feb. However, it is a steep-sided resort so ideally you want somewhere close to one of the lift stations. The ski area is also split into 4 seperate parts so if you want to ski the lot you will have to catch a bus or taxi.

Lech is also a good choice Hokie1, but not renowned for being cheap......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hokie1, skiing in Austria (the bits I've skiied in, anyway) has a distinctive feel to it, which is well worth trying.

If you're thinking of Lech/Zurs, you've presumably thought of St Anton, which seems to fit your requirements. It's not the most beautiful town in the world (where is, I wonder). Lech and Zurs give you access to the same skiing, but I believe that St Anton gives the best access to the more demanding stuff. Lech has a reutation for being pricey and upmarket, although I can't say I noticed particularly (these things tend to go over my head).

You might look at Kitzbuhel. There is little really demanding on piste, but I understand that there is some decent off piste. The town centre is very pleasant, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants on the mountains and in the town.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hokie1, if you're considering France you'd be best off if you avoid anything from 10 Feb onwards as that's when their school holidays are. There are French resorts where you can avoid the crowds in these weeks but it's simpler to not go to France when their schools are on holiday.
latest report
 brian
brian
Hokie1, Zermatt in Switzerland could be ideal.

Maybe something like this ....

http://www.zermatt.ch/e/packages/0388.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Hokie1, this is slightly off topic to say the least but i hope you can help.....

i'm landing at Dulles Int Airport this Sunday and need to get to Annapolis - can you suggest the best way of doing this - dont need a hire car as have a lift arranged for way back and for local use whilst i'm there......

What time do you arrive on Sunday? The later in the day, the more you will have to deal with the Sunday return traffic around Washington DC. Otherwise, it sure beats flying in during the week, in the middle of rush hour. Hopefully the link below will provide you with decent directions on how to get to Annapolis. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=iad&daddr=annapolis,+md&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If Italy intrigues, you could look at the Monte Rosa ski area (esp. Gressoney Le Trinité). I've not been but had it recommended to me by several Italians (whilst I was in Courmayeur).

http://www.monterosa-ski.com/default.asp

The website also has a travel agency part with some packages shown.

(NB I couldn't get the interective piste map to work, but the pdf one does).

It's easy to get there from Milan or Turin, and do-able (but more hassle) from Geneva.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C, if you're not driving, believe it or not it is do-able by public transport. There's a metro bus from Dulles to West Falls Church on the Orange line. From here you travel all the way to New Carrolton (and the far end of the line). There you pick up the T18 to Annapolis. It won't be quick (esp. on a Sunday as the bus & metro frequency is pretty low) but it should be pretty cheap (you could speed up one end or the other with a taxi). I've not done it to Annapolis, but I did do the bit into Washington a few times years ago.

These websites

http://www.wmata.com/default.cfm
http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/parking_transportation_3/ground_transportation/metrorail

should have all the details.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hokie1, Lech and St A are a bit more expensive than the Austrain average but not ridiculously so in my experience. Lech certainly has runs beyond intermediate, I would say there is a fair bit more advance piste skiing there than in Wengen from my memory. It is also very easy to ski St A from Lech more so than the other way round.
latest report
Hokie1, thanks for the link but i'm not planning on driving unless i have to

skanky, thanks very much, i'll probably give that a go!
ski holidays
Hokie1, I am not trying to be rude but I would suggest you get a decent guide book first 'Where to Ski and Snowboard 2007' or something similar. As you say, people will just chip in with all sorts of suggestions and you are none the wiser.

If you want hotels with swimming pools I would avoid big resorts in France. If you want transfers that do not require you to drive and apres ski I would avoid France. Switzerland and Austria - you know the form and train transfers are not difficult.
ski holidays
Apologies for continuing OT.

Roger C, looking at the T18 timetable it only goes every 45 minutes on a Sunday. Take a book. If you have time, and are hungry then there's a great Irish bar called the Four Courts outside "Court House" station that does good food, and some good places outside Clarendon station. If you're going into DC at all during your stay, you can get multi-trip tickets which save time (they were cheaper but I think that was a promotion).
ski holidays
skanky, thanks again, i have printed off all relevant maps and timetables........looks like it will take a fair while but as long as i'm in new carrolloton before 6pm i'll be ok! Very Happy
snow conditions
Roger C I suppose worst case scenario is a taxi for the last leg then. Good luck.
snow conditions
Thank you all for your input, as I will do some additional research on each and then come to conclusion. I do want to get some of your opinions on Zermatt / Cervinia...experiences?

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Hokie1, I wrote up a trip report on Zermatt here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=95538
ski holidays
Skiwelt area in Austria (incorporates Soll, Ellmau, Going, Scheffau, Hopftgarten, Brixen and Westendorf all interlinked in one lift pass) is great for intermediate skiing -not so sure about the advanced skiing, others may be able to help there. Also Sella Ronda in Italy offers an amazing number of slopes. What time of year are you proposing to go because if its very early or late you're generally safer in France or Switzerland, ie high.
snow conditions
Hokie1, I think you'd prefer Zermatt to Cervinia (based on your criteria), though might enjoy a quick trip into Cervinia if only to do run 7.
ski holidays
Quote:

What time of year are you proposing to go because if its very early or late you're generally safer in France or Switzerland, ie high.

Apart from all those glacier resorts in Austria maybe...... Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hokie1,
Saalbach Hinterglemm should suit you well. Pretty reliable snow (i've not had a bad year anyway), enough terrain to keep the interest going for 7-10 days, largely intermediate runs, very friendly resort, excellent apres scene, accomodation is of a good standard, my personal fav is zur Dorfschmiede in Hinterglemm (www.wolf-hotels.at). Prices are ok, easy taxi transfer from Salzburg book in advance or enquire at the airport.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy