Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning to do a giant slalom race course for one week in Tignes in November. We need helmets but because I am small, I take a 54cm helmet. Most adult helmets are too large for me - I have tried on boarding helmets available locally to confirm this.

My question is whether childrens helmets are made to a similar standard as adult helmets and whether a childrens race helmet would be sufficiently strong if it were FIS/CE certified? My concern is that they are made to take a lower level of impact, or tested only at slower speeds. There are a few adult helmets available in this size, but because of limited availability I face the choice of buying something here, or waiting until I try and hire one in Tignes only to be given a childrens helmet or an adult one that doesn't fit.

I'd welcome views on the relative quality/strength of childrens helmets compared with adults.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, I don't know if kids helmets are subject to different testing but I do not believe them to be inferior in standards to adult helmets. If yuou watch the kids at the Brit kids champs etc. they will be travelling pretty quick and are likely to need the same protection (if not greater protection) than adults.

If your head is that small, I would go for a good quality kids RACING helmet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think alot of helmet mfrs make a 54cm or smaller. I know Pro-tec do, as do cebe, Im sure giro do as well, they do an xs in the fuse which is 52-53.5cm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid, Welcome to snowheads... snowHead

I have done some research recently as I have to replace my helmet for this season. The following is a summary of the applicable standards. They apply to all helmets tested, regardless of size. If the helmet you choose conforms to any of these standards and it fits properly, then you can be fairly confident of its performance.

When purchasing a helmet, read the accompanying literature to see if the helmet meets one of the three following helmet standards:

The Common European Norm (CEN) is a large European standard organization that develops hundreds of standards for various products used by the European Union. The CEN 1077 standard is the European ski helmet standard; it was issued in 1996. This European ski helmet standard was almost identical to a pre-existing ski helmet standard used in the 1980s. Compared with the other ski helmet standards, the CEN standard is the least demanding in impact management requirements.

The American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM), a not-for-profit organization that provides a global forum for the development and publication of voluntary consensus standards for materials, products, systems, and services, adopted a United States’ recreational snowsports helmet F2040 standard in May 2000; it has become the standard to which helmets should be manufactured in the United States. Ski and Snowboard helmets manufactured in the United States should conform to the ASTM snowsports helmet standard. For more information about ASTM, log on to www.astm.org.

Lastly, the Snell Memorial Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to research, education, testing and development of helmet safety standards, develops helmet standards and operates test labs for testing and certification. Since its founding in 1957, Snell has been a leader in helmet safety in the United States and around the world. (For more information, log on to www.smf.org). The Snell RS-98 standard is the most stringent ski helmet standard in the world.

Note: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) endorsed the use of snowsports helmets in January of 1999. (For the document, go to www.cpsc.gov, under library/FOIA, click on consumer-related statistics, then click on skiing helmets, at bottom). The CPSC noted that while the then proposed ASTM standard (the ASTM Standard wasn’t adopted until May 2000) and the CEN standard may differ in test parameters, a helmet that meets either of the standards “will provide adequate protection to reduce the risk of head injury.” The Snell standard, presumably, would be considered adequate as well since it’s the most stringent of the three standards.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, If you really want to buy a helmet in the UK, I would suggest giving Bartletts in Hillingdon a call,( 020 8573 2076 ) not really that far from you. I doubt you will find a much bigger selection of race helmets. There website does not do justice to their stock. http://www.lsersa.org/bartlett/index.htm As you may know their Wycombe shop is no more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for the welcome, and for all the suggestions, which I will check out.

What a friendly lot you are here! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
docsquid wrote:
What a friendly lot you are here! Very Happy

Wait until you've known us a bit longer, pal, that's all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid, I wouldn't wait until you get to Tignes as there won't that many shops open, and some of those will still be sorting out their stock for the main season.

Are you on a Snoworks course? I'm there with them from the 18th Nov.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BernardC wrote:
docsquid,

The Snell standard, presumably, would be considered adequate as well since it’s the most stringent of the three standards.

Bernard A nice summary but apparently no ski helmet manufacturers now make helmets to the Snell standard.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
docsquid, I just checked my daughters - a giro richochet agains mine, a salomon siam and they are both the same cen 1077. at the ski club, lots of adult women wear kids helmets. My daughters helmet looks the same size as mine - it has teddy bears on it though, a giveaway perhaps. there are some lovely 54cm cebe helmets out this year too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, try this link - the smallest size is 54-55 cms. Mine is so comfy & light - a world of difference to the heavy, sweaty (other peoples!) hire ones.

http://www.landausports.co.uk/Range/id/ski%20dept/brand/helmets/sib/womens
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you folks. I've managed to find a 54cm Alpina race helmet (GS and Super G) which takes an optional chin guard. It is fully CEN certified and FIS certified, and as used by the Canadian ski team. Just hope I can stick my motorcle helmet floppy ears on it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sage, I have heard that some manufacturers are manufacturing to Snell Ski Helmet Standard RS-98

Details at: www.smf.org

I have contacted them for a list.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update: This has turned into a bit of a saga. Although several retailers list adult helmets, almost all of them are snowboard/freestyle helmets and very few are race style helmets, and the majority of the latter are in the wrong size for me. When I did manage to find one retailer who promised delivery on 15th October, they were let down by their suppliers. I've had to spend ages ringing around the relatively few retailers stocking 54cm size adult helmets of a race style (i.e. that can take a chin guard). Most of them list adult helmets but have no stock. Most of them say they will ring back but don't, or don't reply to e-mails.

Today I appear to have found one retailer with the Alpina Super G helmet in stock in my size. I'm not holding my breath 'though, despite a promise of next day delivery!

Is it any wonder that adults don't wear helmets, even if they want to, if it is so difficult to find something appropriate. rpft, I did look at Landau sports, but the smallest size is a 54-55, and I really need a 53-54 to be sure it will be snug enough. Also, they aren't race helmets - no chin-guard facility. Shame, because the Salomon Rush ladies helmet is a pretty colour Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Forget the safety standards and just get yourself a red one
ski holidays
dme wrote:
Forget the safety standards and just get yourself a red one

Very Happy - That's what I'd prefer. The one I've ordered is black, coz they didn't have red in stock Sad
ski holidays
What you need is one of those helmet covers then, maybe a plain red one or tiger striped, or stick on ears or something.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, I've got sticky on ears! Dalmatian ears. I use them on my motorbike helmet, so they should be just fine at skiing speeds.

Mr Docsquid will almost certainly disown me, but at least rob@rar will be able to recognise me in Tignes Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy