Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted . . . plastics engineer

Poster: A snowHead
There's lots of talk about bases and waxing, what's good, what's not, what's pants, what's dangling . . . what's never talked about is the ongoing development of the materials used. I know a tiny little bit and most of that is second hand and nearly ten years old.

I know that plastic is movable feast, can be created in thousands of forms with thousands of properties and is in CONSTANT development.

I know that plastic is not porous in the sense that it absorbs wax like a sponge with interconecting open chambers . . . base plastics are manufactured in a closed cell form with tiny bubble (or not) voids that are open only at the cut face and only those can be filled with wax and are used to anchor a thin surface coating of wax and stop it just being peeled off.

10 years ago I had a long chat with a Swiss engineer from DuPont who said even then that 'high-end bases did not need waxing, only good structure maintenance and a Teflon based wipe as needed and it was only race bases that were engineered to hold a specific coating of wax for the specific conditions of the race and even then it was mainly the quality of the 'structuring' (the tiny lengthways grooves) that determined acceleration and top speed

The Elan boards I used at Cas were very slippery straight out of the wrapper and the blurb boasts about the 'new' base material.

Are we wasting our time using 30 year old products and techniques in waxing these new materials that bear little if any relationship to the stuff we were waxing just five years ago let alone 20.

so . . . Wanted, a plastics engineer for some up to date reality on the stuff we're sliding around on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you want a slippery plastics engineer, or someone you can trust implictly?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Technically, I'm nearly a plastics engineer in that I did my PhD. in polymer physical chemistry...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That'll do
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a mechanical engineer who puts a lot of things on his credit card. Is that close enough?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
'I like to melt things', does that count?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martski wrote:
'I like to melt things', does that count?

Well, if it's ice in a glass with some Ricard, no, that makes you a drinking buddy...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so many minds . . . so little function . . . rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, Masque. Mea culpa.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:

I'm a management consultant. I can make stuff up if you don't know it... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:

I know that plastic is not porous in the sense that it absorbs wax like a sponge with interconecting open chambers . . . base plastics are manufactured in a closed cell form with tiny bubble (or not) voids that are open only at the cut face and only those can be filled with wax and are used to anchor a thin surface coating of wax and stop it just being peeled off.

Whoa.

Let me stop you right there.

UHMW-PE ski/snowboard bases are manufactured using sintering (well the top end skis anyway, cheapo skis are still extruded) to produce a highly porous matrix.

Leaching hot wax into the voids in the structure is still valid for this type of ski base construction, and indeed extruded bases, but their absorbtion is less.

P-Tex1000 (extruded) - wax absorbtion 1.3mg/cm2 measured Oe norm C9745 @ 110 deg C

P-Tex4000 (sintered) - wax absorbtion 2.2mg/cm2 measured Oe norm C9745 @ 110 deg C

I posted the following sometime ago in here:

+++++++++++++++++++

Bases:

All bases are constructed from HDPE (high density polyethylene) - (P-Tex is merely a trade name, manufactured by IMS Plastics, or IsoSpeed from IsoSport), or UHMW-PE (ultra high molecular weight PE) - (DuraSurf is a manufacturer of such base materials).

These are available in Extruded or Sintered form.

Extruded is cheaper, found in entry and mid level equipment. 3 grades of extruded: 1000, 1500 and 2000. The higher the grade, the greater the resistance to wear and the tougher the base material is. Extruded bases do not hold wax as well which means it is more important to regularly wax these bases to avoid drying out.

A sintered base is superior - it's more durable, faster and holds wax better than an extruded base. It's also more expensive and difficult to repair. It comes in three general grades: 2000, 4000, 8000. This type of base is found on higher performance equipment. To further improve performance manufacturers will add ceramic fibres to improve wear resistance. Graphite is also added to reduce static build up at higher speeds to aid performance and turning.

Edges:

The majority of edge material on the market today has a Rockwell hardness of 48. Other companies boast about it, but it's the same for all edge material. Not convinced yet about Atomic's "Dura Edge" yet...... I suspect it's some form of hard chrome alloy plating (eg; Dura-Plate by TechPlate) who claim a Rc of 70. Hardly "5 times as hard as other edge manufacturers".

As mentioned before, some manufacturers run a second edge inside the first set.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-10-06 18:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight wrote:
Graphite is also added to reduce static build up at higher speeds to aid performance and turning.

ah thanks veeeight....

that explains why the stockli race skis with "racing graphite base" or whatever it is on the website .... are so fast on traverses....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:

I know some microwave engineers Very Happy wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger wrote:
ah thanks veeeight....

that explains why the stockli race skis with "racing graphite base" or whatever it is on the website .... are so fast on traverses....

Yep. And Atomic boast ceramic fibres under the bindings to ease turn initiation............

My god. I sometimes amaze myself at my brilliance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just thought a nice bit of lard would do the trick lol

for what its worth - i use Zardos NotWax on my skis

A
snow conditions
adam_button, lard makes the skiers quicker, not the skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy