Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One For Those With A Website

Poster: A snowHead
phpWeather allows you to put the current weather at your local airport (it uses METARs) on your website.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skanky, there's a similar offering at www.weather.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or at snow-forecast - just go to a resort's weather page and copy the html below the forecast. Incidentally, does anyone know of a way to resize this? I can trim it but I can't change the overall size of it and it's too big.
latest report
 brian
brian
I spent a happy couple of hours trying to write a screenscraper to get some raw text off snow-forecast for cheapo download to a mobile.

Then realised my free webspace can't run scripts, d'oh !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ben wright wrote:
Or at snow-forecast - just go to a resort's weather page and copy the html below the forecast. Incidentally, does anyone know of a way to resize this? I can trim it but I can't change the overall size of it and it's too big.

That's a forecast, this is an observation.

(NB that's the products discussed, not your and my posts).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky wrote:

That's a forecast, this is an observation.

I thought that last year the were conservative if anything in their forecasts. Maybe stung by peoples critisms from previous years.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ben wright wrote:

Do you mean displayed like this on your page
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne.3dayfree.shtml

It will not re-size to drop off the ads. rolling eyes

Depending on your website software you may be able to put it into a frame and then bring it down by re/sizing the frame?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK techies,my wbestoe is created from a template, no htnl involved. How do i add the weather thingy. Will it work if I open up my site in FrontPage and then put in the code?
Maybe I should try it................
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got the current weather from my roof:-

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Weather/Weather-Stations

wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen, have you been hanging around with nbt? wink

davidof, did you tell Mrs davidof that was an essential tool for work? Toofy Grin Looks pretty warm down there with you...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, I just got the code from the Snow-forecast page. They offer it free and it's for 4 or 5 days. Look on my welcome page. Just cut and paste. The only problem would be with Frontpage, but it should be fine. OK you only get what they give you, and you can't fiddle with it, but hey! it's the weather in your resort for your peeps to look at. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hoppo, horrible. I have been using a really strange keyboard at work this week, and my typos on my laptop the following evening have been awful!!!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, you can trim the links from the bottom as you can reduce the image from the right and from the bottom by using something along the lines of:

<iframe style="overflow:hidden;border:none" allowtransparency="true"
width="475" height="170" align="left"
src="http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Foux-d-Allos.3dayfree.shtml"
scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

but I can't find a way to scale it or to trim it from the top or the left.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could do this to trip the stuff form the top and enter your own title:

Code:
<div style="position:relative;">
<div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; background-color:#fff; z-index:1; width:475px; height:55px; text-align:center; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; color:#c00; line-height:50px;">Enter Your Own Title Here</div>
<div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; z-index:-1;"><iframe  allowtransparency="true" width="475" height="170" style="overflow:hidden;border:none;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" align="left" src="http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Foux-d-Allos.3dayfree.shtml"
></iframe></div>
</div>

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 4-10-06 9:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PM Jarvski for tecchie nerdedry - he does it for a living

A
snow report
That's pretty good MhicEasmuint, but I'd like to point out a couple of things.
As well as removing their ads you have effective removed all of snowforecast.com's branding as well - while this is clever it wouldn't be considered good netiquette.
The iframe method will draw data live from their site each time your page is displayed so their stats will show referals by your site. If I was them, I might feel a little dis-chuffed at my ads not being displayed but I'd be really grumpy about someone using my data, my bandwidth and indeed r+d without even a nod of recognition and might be moved to make a fuss.

With this in mind, I've tweaked your code a little:
Code:
<div style="position:relative; height:170px">
<div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; z-index:1; width:475px; height:55px; text-align:center; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; color:#c00; line-height:50px;"><a href="http://www.snow-forecast.com/worldwide_accumulation.shtml" target="_blank">Your Own Title Here</a><div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; z-index:-1; "><iframe allowtransparency="true" width="475" height="170" style="overflow:hidden;border:none;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" align="left" src="http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Foux-d-Allos.3dayfree.shtml"></iframe>
</div></div></div>
Produces
ski holidays
admin, never mind being dis-chuffed, I reckon they might send out a rather nasty email if they found out!
snow report
But is it possible to re-size it so it doesn't take up so much room i.e. keep all the content but make it only half as wide and half as high?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I totally agree, I was kind of suggesting a method of trimming from the top which ben wright wasn't sure of.

Adjusted to leave the logo but use your own title:

Code:
<div style="position:relative; overflow:hidden;">
<div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:143px; background-color:#fff; z-index:1; width:330px; height:55px; text-align:center; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; color:#c00; line-height:50px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Enter Your Own Title Here</div>
<div style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; z-index:-1;"><iframe  allowtransparency="true" width="475" height="170" style="overflow:hidden;border:none; " scrolling="no" frameborder="0" align="left" src="http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Foux-d-Allos.3dayfree.shtml"
></iframe></div>
</div>

ben wright, off the top of my head I don't think ti could be re-sized
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint, I suspected as much. It would help if the snow forecast logo was shifted to the right so it's left edge was level with the max/min but that's something that would need to be sorted out at their end.
snow report
As someone who has a complete mental block when it comes to things like this can I just ask one probably very obvious question - in order to make this specific to your particular resort do you just put your resort name in before '.3dayfree.' Puzzled
snow conditions
 brian
brian
katski, for you, it's http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez.3dayfree.shtml
ski holidays
For anyone who would like Snow included in their forecast, and in a more compact format, we've just published code so you can take a "Mini Snow Forecast" from j2ski. Go to the Snow Forecast page for the particular resort (e.g. La Plagne ) and scroll down to the blue box. Cut and paste all the code from the box into your own page.

Please don't modify the code, but do let me know if anything breaks (PM or email please) as this is hot off the press... snowHead
snow report
J2Dave, Thanks Dave
On my site and working already Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
On my site ...

Wot site?
snow conditions
rob@rar, My little private one wink
Hidden on the back of my little public one Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, Aaah, I see, or rather I don't Wink
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, My little private one wink
Hidden on the back of my little public one Toofy Grin

Ah a cunning plan - a secret website! I think there may be a flaw in your business model though... Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy