Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking the talk

Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton, Beer & Genepi?
snow report
 brian
brian
I can't do the drink & ski thing. It makes me sluggish and I make mistakes and I get annoyed. Sad

Afterwards, love a beer Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton wrote:
Now how does that work?

The moments of nirvana are what I remember. The pain, cold and the disappointment soon fade...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian wrote:
I can't do the drink & ski thing. It makes me sluggish and I make mistakes and I get annoyed. Sad

..... spilling most of it ain't no fun either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
..... spilling most of it ain't no fun either.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
The moments of nirvana are what I remember. The pain, cold and the disappointment soon fade...

Actually, I remember the latter just as well. The really odd thing is that I recall them just as fondly!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In for a penny..............

Some huge generalisations

Men tend to beat there chests and overstate their accomplishments in many spheres in life, woman tend to underplay them and often in both cases believe they are being 100% truthful (obviously exceptions to both stereotypes)

Therefore, are the majority of the contributors to the "How fast, how steep, how far off piste (mine is bigger than yours!)" threads the gentlemen amongst us? Do the threads represent a balanced view? Do the women have different sets of priorities?

I've noticed (as has been mentioned in earlier posts) a number of the more prolific posters have become increasingly more restrained in their estimations of their abilities - Supporting the case of "unknown, unknowns to known unknowns?"

Does it really matter? Probably not as long as those practising a bit of 'extreme skiing' in their dreams don't try and replicate it anywhere near me!! - although I suppose that it can compound the feeling of 'inferiority' among those of us that are the more shrinking violet type.

As for the exageration, No idea, unlike Kramer I haven't seen any of them ski and in any case am not proficient enough to make a judgement other than 100% of them are likely to be better than me!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Yes -but second day skiers on the Valentin at the end of the afternoon is why I never ski it after 15.30. My life is too valuable thank you! I've also been knocked over twice on it, and had clients knocked over - people DIE sliding down that slope (about 1 a year).

MhicEasmuint, Dotted black lines are black pistes that are marked but not pisted. Pisting is when they run the machines (piste machines) up it to make it nice and smooth for the next day.

Getting down a run and skiing it are not the same thing. Skiing a run implies under control for speed and direction of trajectory, without much sidesliping. Doing exactly what you want, when you want, while noticing what all the other peeps on the piste are doing, avoiding them etc. stc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is probably going off slightly at a tangent but maybe it explains my scepticism a little:

http://www.skimybest.com/skiwomen.htm

UCA

If it is the case that women tend (generalisation) to have a lower risk threshold and, one might conclude, want to have a higher level of skill before tackling something, that might explain why I can't conceive of a, say, 8 week skier being able to "ski anything on piste"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easkiski, never tried any of the non-pisted slopes, didn't know what they were so just passed on them.
Whats sidesliping? Standing on slope with ski's on edges then putting them flat to slide down the slope?
I'd say I'd be in control, but on blacks would be doing no speed, a turn at one side then nearly horizontal to other side to make turn again.
There was a 16 year old (very fit) with us on his first week skiing and on the last day managed both pisted blacks off the mountain without falling.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say goals are a good thing and you rack them up the way you see it...its only a problem if your criteria doesn't quite match up with someone else that you are skiing with.
Apart from that, we all have differing levels and expectations and desires. I'm going skiing with my mates soon, I'll have great time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Getting down a run and skiing it are not the same thing. Skiing a run implies under control for speed and direction of trajectory, without much sidesliping. Doing exactly what you want, when you want, while noticing what all the other peeps on the piste are doing, avoiding them etc. stc.

Maybe I should go back to saying I can ski most runs in most conditions as under that definition I'm skiing them. Just on steep mogul runs, I take it slow, stop frequently and don't link more than a few turns at a time. I'd revised my definition after seeing David Murdoch's video of himself skiing a mogul run that he posted some time back .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To speculate on the skiing/snowboarding difference it is possible that becuse snowboarding is a newer sport it doesn't have the same prescriptive ideas of what is good form or style that skiing does. Also it is less technical/more intuitive once the basic skill set has been learnt. Accordingly I'd guess that it is quite possible that a, say 6 week skier and boarder feel the same way about how they are getting down a difficult slope but to the trained observer the boarder looks more fluid/in control.

The style point is probably a relevant issue considering skiers alone - compare say a video of Tanner Hall freeskiing with say someone from one of the old 80s Euro movies - who looks to your eye that they are getting down "properly"?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MhicEasmuint wrote:
...Whats sidesliping?...I'd say I'd be in control, but on blacks would be doing no speed, a turn at one side then nearly horizontal to other side to make turn again.
There was a 16 year old (very fit) with us on his first week skiing and on the last day managed both pisted blacks off the mountain without falling.

easiski wrote:

A microcosm of the whole debate really.

MhicEasmuint considers himself to be a skier because he can get down a black. That's skiing to him. He doesn't know what he doesn't know. (There's nothing wrong with that.)

It's the definition I would have used 6 years ago.

easiski's definition is the one I'd use nowadays.

Under MhicEasmuint's definition I can ski 40 degree couloirs. Under easiski's definition I can't.

If you'd seen my underwear, you'd know I can't wink

MhicEasmuint - out of interest - why haven't you had lessons?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton wrote:
MhicEasmuint considers himself to be a skier .....

I consider him a skiier too. There isn't a test you need to pass. wink

Well done MhicEasmuint, that's a great start. You'll enjoy yerself that's for sure.
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
I consider him a skiier too. There isn't a test you need to pass. wink

Apologies, I worded that badly and it came out all pompous Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
True Philip, different goals. It would be great for someone else to see how I do ski, but I think when I am skiing that I am in control and can stop when i want, and go where i want avoiding people.

PhillipStanton, I had lessons on my first week skiing in Val Di Fassa in Italy, and would say the group as a whole was very good a progressed quickly, we were doing parallel turns on the 4th day. Then a couple of us did our first black the next day. The 2nd week in Les deux Alpes we just decided not to book lessons in advance and see how we got on when we arrived there and were going alright so never bothered.

In my third week in pomporovo it was a deal where price was same with/without lessons, and 6 of us that could ski rightly went with an instructor, but didn't really learn anything new, he showed is carving one morning, but we thought it was better craic what we were doing before - he was showing us small jumps and taking paths through tree's. Was good craic. A guy that worked out there followed us 2 mornings with camcorder and gave us dvd I'll have to see if i can get some clips from that on the web.
snow report
Ah no need to apologise, all advice/criticism freely welcome
snow conditions
PhillipStanton,

Re easiski's definition excluding sidslipping have you seen McConkey's segment in Focussed - a huge power slide sideslip down massive powder spines that goes on for ever - I'd call that the exception that proves the rule!
snow conditions
fatbob... - my instructors give me points for "tactics"....
If I make poor tactical choices (sticking myself where I feel the need to side slip a whole run) I have failed.... if I make a tactical choice to sideslip a section for safety where the other choices are worse - then I am winning....

I can even get applause for such horrors as stems... as long as they are a tactical choice - not just me being lazy/silly etc... they will often pay a stem for a first turn off-piste... lets me get a feel for the snow and get comfy and establish a rhythm... acceptable tactic given my huge fear of "soft snow" (don't ask) that leaves me quivering... NOT STOPPING is also a good tactic when I'm scared... looking ate the problem longer rarely solves it for me....

anyway - what I was saying is they feel no need to limit my movements - only to want them to be suitable for what I wish to achieve...
ski holidays
Just had a look at a dvd from my 3rd skiing trip in Pomporovo, no good clips on it to show my lack of good technique but pulled some general clips of me, quality not great:

http://youtube.com/v/03tOI6YTFoM

I am the one on navy coat with grey sleeves. One bit might look a bit strange, we ski under the cameraman's legs. (I'm 6'2). I eat snow in one of the clips.
Here's some of the funny clips from the same dvd i uploaded before:

http://youtube.com/v/VqaruY5yQao
snow report
Someone showed immaculate technique in the air-to-double-ejection wipeout Laughing

Looks like awesome snow conditions
snow report
Conditions were brilliant, snowed the flat out the first 2 days we were there, which included a power cut and us sitting going no where on a chair lift for about 25 minutes
snow report
fatbob, Yes - granted, and we all sideslip, and it's part of the control toolbox, but I mean the down 10 metres on each turn sort of side slipping.

I just get fed up sometimes, perhaps LDA is particularly bad for it because the green is so difficult and black is the only alternative, but where are decent skiers supposed to go to have some fun? and don't say off piste - I do really like piste skiing (old racers never die I suppose). However, lots of the time it's impossible to enjoy a pisted black or red because of all the novices on it "getting down" and totally preventing any nice rhymic turns. Fortunately last winter conditions were so good low down that there were lots of alternatives, but they did eventually get mogully (not being pisted) and thus became "unpisted" again. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

And before I hear you all cry "don't go spoiling their fun" what about my fun? Huh! rolling eyes

this is exactly what eng_ch, was talking about when she started the piste, and note that the better skiers are all in agreement and are not boasting of their exploits!

I can't watch any videos on this slow connection, so I can't comment.

marc gledhill, I would say there's a big difference betwen someone who skis and a skier.

Rant over, in mega bad mood tonight! But seriously this Valentin thing is SUPER DANGEROUS! Really people die every year on that and Diable because they do exactly as MhicEasmuint, did - just go for it regardless of technique or experience. Falling and knocking anyone over (even a pal) is NOT FUNNY, that's how people get injured - if it's me, how am I supposed to earn my living? One of our ESF guys was knocked over by a holiday skier last year and will never be able to work or ski again. I had my jaw broken in 3 places by an out of control skier a while back - now when it's cold I can't speak properly - to say nothing of my face being slightly squiffy now. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
easiski, I'm with you... I hate the out of control factor.... If anyone hits and hurts me and we can ID them - I'll sue!

MhicEasmuint, do you hate your knees? ouch...
snow report
easiski,

No criticism of your general principle intended but it just struck me having rewatched a couple of DVDs over the weekend that skiing style is evolving & diverging in certain respects.

I do sympathise with you end of day plight in L2A having visited. It struck me that the home runs are not very user friendly. Maybe the solution is to adopt the approach taken at Heavenly for the home run on California side. This is big skull and crossbone signs saying "Danger of death" at the top of the black mogul field and something which identifies that the Green run is in fact a switchback road. Most people seem to download.
snow report
fatbob, Yes - technique is always evolving, but "getting down" steep slopes badly (and probably to the detriment of other slope users) has never, and will never be in style! I'm slightly befuddled though, at so many of the young freestyle contingent aparently trying to ski 60s style with their feet bolted together! Can you shed any light on that? Deffo not a good idea going into a fakey jump or trying any rotational tricks I'd have thought.

BTW the resort has tried all sorts of signs, although not that one. No-one even notices them. I met one bloke (won't say where he was from) who skied right past 3 huge banners that almost closed the run off, and then claimed no-one told him it was a black! The banners were in black too BTW. Not able to do anything about the green because the landowners won't allow work on their land. Proposals to make a blue run on the Diable side have been around for a while, but it would be a pretty hairy blue.
snow report
easiski, fair enough, people skiing out of control is not on. I would say I'm in control when on any pisted slope. For someone to do there first black what experience/technique should they have?

little_tiger, that was a mate that had the knee cruncher, fortunately he was fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
marc gledhill, I would say there's a big difference betwen someone who skis and a skier.

Confused Mmmmmmm!
ski holidays
easiski, they could try making it gated - i.e. you fence the run off, apart from one entrance - maybe 2 metres wide. And beside the entrance you just place signs saying it is expert only.
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint wrote:
easiski, fair enough, people skiing out of control is not on. I would say I'm in control when on any pisted slope. For someone to do there first black what experience/technique should they have?

little_tiger, that was a mate that had the knee cruncher, fortunately he was fine.

i meant everyone of those jumps that landed on ski tails.... ouch ouch ouch...
latest report
easiski wrote:
I'm slightly befuddled though, at so many of the young freestyle contingent aparently trying to ski 60s style with their feet bolted together!

I've got a friend who did the season in Verbier last season (or should I say "Verb, dude!") and I noticed when I skied with him in February that that was the style he'd adopted. That and baggy pants and some strange cap thing that looked like, well, a tennis visor (what's that all about???).

Aparently, edges are so, well, "last season darling". Freestylers are aparently rounding off their edges to avoid any problems in the park with edges catching - and because, well, who needs edges if you're just using the piste to get between hucking venues and the park? This seems to be carrying across in terms of can't edge / won't edge and legs together.

Those seeking legitimacy through terminology are calling it "dynamic braquage". Excuse me for being nearly 40 here but rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

I'd be interested in Parlor's view on this given that his place is thereabouts.
snow conditions
Skiing with your legs bolted together is what PMTS is all about (according to HH's first book - which is pure BS/marketing). It doesn't work in the real world.
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
. Excuse me for being nearly 40 here but rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

you are a baby! Razz
snow report
Here I am:

latest report
PhillipStanton wrote:
easiski wrote:
I'm slightly befuddled though, at so many of the young freestyle contingent aparently trying to ski 60s style with their feet bolted together!

I've got a friend who did the season in Verbier last season....................... and I noticed when I skied with him in February that that was the style he'd adopted.

Those seeking legitimacy through terminology are calling it "dynamic braquage".

Having spent an afternoon (yesterday) in a Warren Smith class, and he's based in Verbier, it was interesting to see the "freeskier formula" being drilled in right from the start.

More emphasis on "steering" than "carving", with an eye towards the technique that works best in deeper snow at all times.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, since when has Europe had "deeper snow"? Laughing Wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, snowHead everywhere has deeper snow than Castleford Laughing
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
Having spent an afternoon (yesterday) in a Warren Smith class, and he's based in Verbier, it was interesting to see the "freeskier formula" being drilled in right from the start.

More emphasis on "steering" than "carving", with an eye towards the technique that works best in deeper snow at all times.

Having done a couple of Warren Whotsit (as Mrs PhillipStanton likes to call him because she gets him confused with Warren Miller...) courses, I have to agree.

Thought to be fair to Warren he does "do" carving. The reason he seems to emphasise steering and not using edges so much is the many skiers simply can't do it nowadays.
latest report
I was on one of the same courses as Phil (hi Phil!) and yeah, I'd agree that carving was still a key part of what we covered. Enough of technique though, Phil - who was the strangely-capped, baggy-panted friend in Verbier last winter? Glen? Paul? Penry, the mild-mannered janitor?

(Apologies for de-railing thread even further Embarassed)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy