Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking the talk

Poster: A snowHead
Getting back to the original question slightly, I would not be suprised if some people feel they can ski any piste after about 8-12 weeks skiing.
People do learn at different rates. I speak as someone whose rate of progress is glacially slow. Crying or Very sad
But if they mean they can ski with reasonable control all the pistes that they have come accross I may well believe them. I am not talking about perfect control and high quality technique or staying in the fall line necessarily but enough to feel that they are not a danger to themselves or to others.
Sporty athletic types particularly when they are young can sometimes progress in may sports very quickly.

A couple of anecdotes:

My wife was getting lessons from an instructor and was pleased with how she was doing but said that it was all right for the instructor as she had learnt from a young age.( She was French) Not true apparently she decided to give skiing a try as a winter pastime and was normally a windsurfing instructor. She learnt over the course of one season and at the end had passed her instructors ticket. snowHead

Closer to home I was skiing 2 or 3 years ago with friends of ours whose son is a very talented sportsman in several sports. He had had a few lessons on dry slopes and then went on holiday. On his second week he was skiing a few of the easier black runs with control. His older sister with the same amount of skiing was really only confident on the blues.

I don't think that everyone will be skiing blacks well in a short period of time but I suspect there are those who do more than just about get down them after 8-12 weeks.

Incidentally although I agree that the out of control skier is a pest to one and all, most places I go he is more common on the reds and blues than the blacks which usually induce a bit more caution.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been skiing every fortnight at gloucester for the last 2 yrs and ski'd on and off since I was 12 and I ski like a farmer, hence I do freestyle lol

A
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FOUND THIS LOL

Jibber:

A new school skiier who sticks to the park. sh*thouse at regular skiing but insane at tricks and rails.

AS IN "yo dude you got skills but you are a jibber"

"that dude is pimpin" "nah dude, jibber"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We endearingly refer to "park rats" as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adam_button wrote:
...I ski like a farmer, hence I do freestyle...

Shouldn't that be freerange if you ski like a farmer? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, That's interesting. My understanding was that it took about 5 years to get fully qualified under the French system. I also find it hard to believe that someone could learn to ski well enough to pass the speed/race tests in one season...but you never know!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, i'd liken someone like McKonkey to a modern artist (run with me here). Most of these (according to my school art teacher anyway) people have been to art school and can paint a nice portrait using classical techniques but they've got a bit bored of that so they take a bed and put dirty sheets on it and make art out of that. I have no doubt that McKonkey could carve some pretty turns if he wanted to but that's a bit boring for him - hence power-side-slips on waterskis, ski base jumping etc etc. May not be in the BASI manual, but pretty entertaining for the punters.

Also, check out the French guide on High Life:

"Zeese people like Jeremy, zey do a turn wiz zeir 'ips in ze snow. Zey are not skieurs, zey are 'ollywood actors etc etc" Laughing

Not sure what the point of this post is now I've typed it. Maybe that good form is quite important up to a point, but isn't an end in itself for me. If it helps me have more fun, that's the most important thing. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
fatbob, I have no doubt that McKonkey could carve some pretty turns if he wanted to but that's a bit boring for him - hence power-side-slips on waterskis, ski base jumping etc etc. May not be in the BASI manual, but pretty entertaining for the punters.

:

I've no doubt about that - I saw him and his mates one year end of season at Squaw running a GS course switch as part of a party day which also include sledge big-air.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
but where are decent skiers supposed to go to have some fun? and don't say off piste - I do really like piste skiing (old racers never die I suppose).

Shame on you - it's waaaaay more interesting off-piste!!!! Laughing Well, horses for courses and all that Cool wink . I find it interesting that PG would always go on about his kids would be taken off-piste as a way to improve their performance in racing, whereas I'm primarily doing this race thing to improve my performance off-piste (although I do have to admit I seem to have got the race bug too Confused ).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, Although there are few moments as enjoyable as good powder skiing, I'm going with easiski on this one. There is nothing as good as high speed carving on well prepared hardpack, well actually there is, hooting down the left side of the Glacier du Rognon in January when it's windblown. Makes me shiver just thinking about it Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
........although I do have to admit I seem to have got the race bug too Confused

Excellent. I'm for any skiing discipline that uses copious quantites of wax & Zardoz wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 5-10-06 13:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree that technique and "doing it right" are just tools, but isn't it a case of the right tool for the job? Sure you can try and fell a tree with a penknife and no doubt in time you would be successful, but isn't it easier to use a chainsaw? You don't need to have an ambition to be a racer or instructor to want to garner enough technique to make skiing easy, and for that technique to be sufficiently solid that it's second nature. For me, fighting myself and the hill is no damn fun. I can see from the vids that MhicEasmuint is having a ball (hope you don't mind my using you asn an example), but I'm with little tiger, those knees must be taking a caning Shocked and I'm sure he'd have even more fun with more tools available to him in his skiing toolbox. But then I'm fundamentally lazy - anything that reduces the expenditure of energy and hence extends the skiing day is good by me Smile

[Edited for writing English that's so unclear I should be ashamed]

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 5-10-06 12:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch wrote:
But then I'm fundamentally lazy - anything that reduces the expenditure of energy and hence extends the skiing day is good by me Smile

I'm with you Very Happy

looks like you and me should be having lessons with easiski and leaving most of the boys to be expert black run skiers together Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, I like the way you think Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can we have the powder as well?

Oh, for the peace and quiet of skiing powder...

The best sound in the world is the sound of snowy silence.
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
little tiger, I like the way you think Very Happy

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Sporty athletic types particularly when they are young can sometimes progress in may sports very quickly.

t-bar

my instructor friends tell me they shudder when they get a bunch of rugby players for a lesson.... they are the pits....

Apparently those with a background in skating or dancing are good
I know one instructor used to chat to the waiting beginners and "select" these folks for the group he took... everyone wondered why his groups did so well....
snow conditions
When I can feel 'at home' on a pair of skis, in the same way that I 'feel at home' on a horse - then, I'll have arrived!
snow report
little tiger,

Quote:

my instructor friends tell me they shudder when they get a bunch of rugby players for a lesson.... they are the pits....

yep ! Too much strength Shocked . No fear Shocked

We used to have random olive green missiles in Scotland. I think they were called marines.....
snow report
erica2004, what wax do you use on your horse?
snow report
David Murdoch,
It was quite a while ago when this happened '91 when we mwt her a nd probably a few years before that when she learned. I don't imagine it was the top ticket that she got but a n apprentice one, I cannot remember the details but I was certainly well impressed.

little tiger,
Having skied with an Aussie rugby league player on holiday I can believe this. snowHead
snow conditions
ski wrote:

yep ! Too much strength Shocked . No fear Shocked

We used to have random olive green missiles in Scotland. I think they were called marines.....

Laughing

you should never get my brother started on this.... he was quite small... but had been a canoe instructor trainer since high school...

One of his random jobs was teaching canoe stuff to a bunch of physical education students from a local uni.... They would all be puffing chests etc at him and his mate (also small)....
His solution was to just put them in canoes in flat water... let them be unable to steer across the water and back successfully... then get them out of canoes and start to demo some stuff....

he said they listened MUCH better with this technique than any other he had tried... he would just get out of the boat and quietly tell them that technique is far stronger than muscle and if they wanted to learn technique they should listen up...
snow report
T Bar wrote:
little tiger,
Having skied with an Aussie rugby league player on holiday I can believe this. snowHead

I've surfed with an irish one Shocked I can imagine.... he was almost ready to hit something because I could do what he could not.... his gf and I kept explaining that I had had a fair bit more time to practice and was using technique he did not have... but he was livid because I was an old unfit female and could outperform him
ski holidays
T Bar, I should think she meant she got to the Test Technique level in one season - that is when you get a logbook and are an officially qualified Apprentice Instructor! It's not possible and/or not allowed to complete the system in 1 season. As with BASI it takes a minimum 4 years to complete all the modules, teaching practise, and just to get good enough.

Rugby players are the pits from the ski learning point of view. Dancers and gymnasts seem to be best (co-ordination) followed by all types of skating.

Don't get me wring guys - I like skiing off piste fine, but I do also enjoy a nice steep piste, and that pleasure has been largely stolen from me as more and more intermediate skiers rush to the "black" slope as a sort of badge. Of course everyone one learns at a different rate, but age and lack of fear (it's not courage) notwithstanding, the people who improve best and quickest are the people who actually learn!

little tiger, eng_ch, We'll be best team and show those guys how to do it!!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint, I've just cheated and watched your video at work - I won't even comment. You cannot possibly be in control on a 30 deg slope in that position.
snow report
easiski wrote:
Of course everyone one learns at a different rate, but age and lack of fear (it's not courage) notwithstanding, the people who improve best and quickest are the people who actually learn!

That is my instructors theory.... he says he prefers giving lessons to people who learn.... and detests the days with those who come back every year... he spends time with them working on (the same)stuff... and an hour after the lesson is over they are back fanging around the hill skiing as they did before...

easiski wrote:

little tiger, eng_ch, We'll be best team and show those guys how to do it!!! Laughing Laughing

Very Happy

what a plan... now to work out the logistics!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
MhicEasmuint, I've just cheated and watched your video at work - I won't even comment. You cannot possibly be in control on a 30 deg slope in that position.

I was thinking I'd ski off-piste before being in front of them on a steep slope.... but thought it was just my natural chicken factor!
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint wrote:
It would be great for someone else to see how I do ski, but I think when I am skiing that I am in control and can stop when i want, and go where i want avoiding people.

I'm guessing you were the second chap over the jump after the dude that did the double eject ?

There is no way you should have gone over that jump when your mate was lying on the ground.

Have a wee look at your video again and pay close attention to where his skis fly to. If you had done a simillar jump to him and also double ejected, there is a very good chance that he would have been in the path of your flying ski - and although this didn't happen, it wasn't far off it.

What you should have done was missed out on the jump completely or stopped and waited for him to get his gear and get out of the way and then let fly. As it was, you had no control over where you were going to stop or where your gear was going to stop.

Looks like smashing conditions though Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:

easiski - you forgot these - rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have but only 1 weeks experience and although I will bow to you all by the end of my first weeks skiing my brother dragged me down (but only an easy) black in Alpes D'huez. Which although I spent part of it on my back bottom it really boosted my confidence to get back on the slopes this winter, not only for one but 2 weeks!!!!

Rob (the new) snowHead
ski holidays
robert_dorling, well done!
snow report
 brian
brian
smolo, I think (based on jacket description), he's the one lying on the ground !
ski holidays
easiski,
Quote:

I should think she meant she got to the Test Technique level in one season - that is when you get a logbook and are an officially qualified Apprentice Instructor! It's not possible and/or not allowed to complete the system in 1 season. As with BASI it takes a minimum 4 years to complete all the modules, teaching practise, and just to get good enough.

She may well have meant this, I was and am still well impressed though even the apprentices are demi-gods to me snowHead
ski holidays
Ahem .. Vis-a-vis my claims to be an incompetent/crap skier. I gave up playing rugby at 40. Needed some excitement so took up skiing at 50 - 6 days later my instructor insisted I rent/bought a helmet.
QED Embarassed
Isn't turning on a piste a bit like playing golf via all the trees/hazards .. too blooming difficult? ( I should add that my staying upright on a black -let alone an unpisted one - for more than 5 seconds is so unlikely I won't even try ... oh the benefit of age !)

Ducks and Runs
snow report
little tiger wrote:
easiski wrote:

Very Happy

what a plan... now to work out the logistics!

little tiger, it's called the PSB - gwan, you know you want to! Wink
snow report
easiski wrote:

easiski, tell you what, you show us how it's done, and when you're safely out of sight I'll follow you down in my own time Laughing Laughing

Although I will 'fess to a small hankering to have a go at the snowHead wall - depending what it looks like in the flesh!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Or with those skills, eh, easiski? Using about half of the ski may seem natural, but it doesn't aid control... wink

It's actually frightening for me to hear the concentration of out-of-control skiers that you're discussing here. I admit to learning the mountains around here pretty well and staying away from the most populated pistes, but I don't see that kind of wild skiing very much at all (thank heavens!). Not to say that MhicEasmuint's style isn't common (it is!).

MhicEasmuint, were you with an instructor in that video? If so, what was s/he working on with you?
ski holidays
I'd suggest the answer for easiski is to get a speed fix mid week at almost any non-destination N American resort. I skied one chair at Kirkwood last year for about 45 minutes without seeing another punter. Admittedly it was hailing at the time but even so.

Realise that this isn't a practical suggestion for easiski but is a reason why I try to make at least one proper holiday over ther each season.
snow conditions
If you get to Summit County, drop me a PM... We'll go find some out-of-the-way places to ski without a crowd! snowHead
snow report
I knew I'd find that video video clip sooner or later Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy