Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Searching just confuses me more

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
Ive had about 7 or 8 weeks skiing now and i'm finally considering buying a pair of skis and boots.
I can handle any marked pistes ive come across so far and am starting to dabble in a little off piste. Im 20, male and in reasonable shape, if thats a factor in choosing.
Basically, ive spent the past 2 hours searching this forum, google etc to try and get the lowdown on what skis and boots do what, how much they cost and am getting more confused.
Last holiday I had in Tignes i was on Rossignol b2s and i liked them a lot, what skis would be similar to them, but a little less expensive?
Are there any good budget skis?
Likewise boots, what is really important? I know what the manufacturers claim, but in real terms how do these claims apply?

I realise ive just asked a lot of questions sorry about that, but if you were in my situation, what combination of skis/boots would you choose?

Id like to budget for about £400 all in but if this is unrealistic I could stretch.
Also im heading to Livigno in Jan, should i wait till then to buy?

Thanks very much for reading and any opinions would be greatly appreciated:)
cheers
ryan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element wrote:

Likewise boots, what is really important? I know what the manufacturers claim, but in real terms how do these claims apply?
Id like to budget for about £400 all in but if this is unrealistic I could stretch.
Also im heading to Livigno in Jan, should i wait till then to buy?

I personally would say your budget night be about right but your priorities are the wrong way round. boots are more inportant than skis. get boots properly fitted and your skiing will improve dranatically. It doesn;t matter if you ski on planks of wood or the very latest models from salomon, if your boots don;t fit then you won't get the best from your skis. Start with getting good boots, Livigno is tax fgree so it may be worth getting some there, especially as in Jnuaryt there should still be a good choice left - sort your boots out early in the holiday then you have chance to get any niggles fixed over the next few days. Once youhave your boots, look at what you have left and see if you can afford any skis. I don't think you;ll get the latest and greatest, but you will find something for your budget if you look at places like skiwarehouse.co.uk, or some of the german shops (or even ebay)

I'm sure more knowledgeable posters than me will be along soon in any case Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
element, welcome to snowHead
Firstly, I'd suggest you concentrate on the boots - if the budget is limited, then rent skis, but buy boots.
Go to a good bootfitter - probably best to do it in resort.
Get a pair of boots - regardless of brand - that fit best.

That would be my number 1 tip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh, and the "best" boots are the ones that fit you properly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element, Welcome to snowHeads.... Very Happy

There's a LOT of skis on the market and a lot of discussion about them! At least you have a good starting point. You like the B2's which are a really great all-rounder ski. What height and weight are you? How do you ski? - Important for sizing. Have you considered second hand skis - you will be able to pick up some good B2s & other skis at very reasonable prices, esp on snowHeads. I think I have got a pair of them in France - nearly new - too short for me. Will check the length if you want.

Boots are always a big point of discussion - I am currently researching some touring boots. The best advice I have seen given here is to find a really good boot fitter. I did that some years ago and had no preconceived ideas about makes or brands. The boot fitter fitted me with a pair of HEAD boots which he said were best suited to my feet. He made custom fit footbeds/insoles and I had the Comformable foam liners done also. The fitted like a glove then and they still do now. Youl will see some references to good boot fitters if you have searched the topics, but Lockwoods are a name much recomended by snowHeads. (There is a special boot clinic later this month at Lockwoods)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree, definately boots first then skis.

Boots for your level of ski-ing, be realistic. Get them fitted by a professional boot fitter, custom fit etc liners and or in-soles. Remember, if you buy they have to be right. Expect to pay > £250 for boots, with all the bells and whistles.

Whatevers left, and there will NOT be enough from £400 for a set of ski's, hire the best you can. have fun.... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
element, Boots are the thing. Be sure to go for a pair that are not too stiff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to agree with all of the above ie that boots must come first. If you spend as fraserp, suggests you will get a decent pair, with custom made insoles. I would avoid the very expansive models (>£200) as they usually very stiff and may actually hinder progress in your skiing and you may sacrifice comfort. Also different manufacturers boots vary in foot shape they suit eg Lange are not likely to fit large volume high instep feet etc. so don’t give into marketing hype or graphics but go for boots as nbt that fit. All this is my own non professional opinion, if you would like to hear from the pros maybe smallzookeepr et al will visit this thread to elaborate further. As far as skis are concerned unless you ski more then 3 weeks per year it will be difficult to justify the hassle and expanse of owning skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
element, I would probably agree with PP, regarding skis. I thought about it after posting above, as I leave my skis in France & don't have to pay any airline transport costs. Someone will be able to advise exactly, but it may cost as much £30 return, each trip to take your own skis. I remember paying something like that to Crystal from Belfast City Airport a few years ago.

With various ski hire discounts you may very well be better off financially by hiring. Plus by doing so, you will always be able to ski on the latest models and have the ability to change skis even on a daily basis if you need to & no servicing costs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks very much for all the replies, I think ill try and get a pair of decent boots and see how much cash i have left for skis. Might leave it a while if its not enough:)
I have pretty slim feet and pointy heels, are any boot manufacturers known for making slim fitting boots?
Also with regards to skis, I'm 6ft 1 and about 12 stone. Its hard to say how i ski but i like to keep my options open:)
I suppose my inner materialist is partly responsible for me wanting skis, a big shiny pair of skis would look lovely in my room hehe
How many weeks might one expect to get out of a pair of skis on average?

Thanks again

ryan Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
element wrote:
I suppose my inner materialist is partly responsible for me wanting skis, a big shiny pair of skis would look lovely in my room hehe

An excellent reason for buying skis, IMO! snowHead

Personally, if you've got the money I'd buy them after you've got your boots. We very rarely have to pay for ski carriage. I sold my skis on ebay after about 6 weeks' use for £10 less than I paid for them new - and the OH sold his after about the same time of hard use, for about £50 less, IIRC. Of course you do also have to pay for ski servicing. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
element I'd suggest going to Macski on the Lisburn Road in Belfast for boots. Their prices on skis aren't quite as reasonable. But they do seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to boot fitting.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks very much, some good stuff to go on here:)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
element, Lange boots are slim-fitting with a narrow heel, and Rossignol are quite narrow. Doesn't mean to say they will be suitable for you though, be guided by the bootfitter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
edge to edge have some ex rental B2's available for £209.00
http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/acatalog/Edge_2_Edge_Online-EX_RENTAL-SKIS.html
latest report
thanks helen and kevin, how well do skis age with general use?
AT 4 - 6 weeks old are those rossignols likely to be suffering? How many weeks might one expect to get out of a pair of skis?
I know I keep asking questions but Its a lot of money for a poor student like myself and personal advice is always better than reading biased reviews on google:)
Cheers again.

PS I keep coming across head c240i skis, anyone tried these or know anything about them?

thanks
ryan
snow report
element, I'll second the idea of a trip to Mac Ski say hi to Des and John whern you go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
The B2s are definetly great skis. If you cannot quite afford their price tag, I would look to buy a used pair. If you look around a bit you can find some really great used skis for amazing prices. All legitament skis from the category that the B2 would fall in are around the same price point, if not more expensive.
latest report
Kevinrhead, thanks very much, I went ahead and bought those B2s, Cheers everyone for all your contributions, Iv still got a couple of hundred left to get boots fitted now:)
Anyone know of any good shops in livigno?
snow conditions
Kevinrhead, thanks very much, I went ahead and bought those B2s, Cheers everyone for all your contributions, Iv still got a couple of hundred left to get boots fitted now:)
ski holidays
ski holidays
element, have you got repetitive strain injury ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy