Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Snow Starts soon

Poster: A snowHead
September has been warm, the Austrian glaciers have 20-30 cm less snow than normal Sad

But ....... there's a cold front coming in, Wed will be around 10 deg C lower than Tuesday.
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/AUXX0025_c.html?force_units=1

Even Snow-forecast.com say it's going to snow so it must be true wink

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kaprun.0to3top.shtml

Let the winter begin. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Titlis was supposed to start this weekend just gone but did not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, Snow-Forecast is also predicting snow for Les 2 Alpes and Tignes this week - bring it on! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm no expert, but...

I wonder if it's not better for clear weather between the equinox (Sep 21) until just before the start of the season. That way, during the lengthening nights, the summer's heat can be radiated away from the soil/rocks so that, when serious snow falls, it sticks and is not thawed from beneath.

That's my theory. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, but snow landing on said rocks and melting will conduct away their stored heat. The question for you scientific types out there is which will acheive the required cooling more quickly? My (ill-informed) view is that adding ice to my scotch and soda cools it down quicker than standing it in a fridge Very Happy (and lets me hold it without stooping) Toofy Grin
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, the problem is that if snow falls on (relatively) warm ground, it acts as an insulating blanket and the ground never really freezes hard. So when things start to warm up the snow thaws from both sides.

Ideally you want the ground to be frozen hard and then the snow on top to build a longer lasting base.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, Ok, but when it falls early on a glacier, presumably it stays, and just replaces what has melted off in the summer?
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, yep, a humungous big thick lump of ice is pretty much ideal to put snow on Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan wrote:
DB, Snow-Forecast is also predicting snow for Les 2 Alpes and Tignes this week - bring it on! Very Happy

PG posted a short report on MSS about the conditions at the Grand Motte last weekend (first day after the September closure):
Quote:
Brief report back from slightly damp daughter after a session on the Grande Motte.

A fair amount of snow cover (a lot of rain this past week which had settled a little lower than expected). All the same, Rosolin was shut as predicted by piste director Tuaillon last Monday - although Hannah said it looked pretty white, and perfectly skiable.

Hard snow early on after a clear night last night, but the high temperatures softened the snow up rapidly and it was pretty slushy by late morning.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meteoschweiz is reckoning the snowline will drop from 3000m to 1800m overnight on Wed, and hovering around 1700m to the weekend
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our data's showing a good whitening of France and Austria for the middle of this week; including a fair amount of Snow forecast for Tignes on Tuesday and Wednesday with the snow line coming down to 2000 metres by Wednesday. Similar story for much of the French Alps... although the two greatest ski resorts in the universe might have to wait a little longer... there's only a little snow forecast for La Rosiere and about the same snow for Wengen. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J2Dave wrote:
... the two greatest ski resorts in the universe might have to wait a little longer... there's only a little snow forecast for La Rosiere ...

Have you a snow report for the rest of the Netherlands? Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Why? Are you some kind of weather expert?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, haven't you seen the video?

I hear it's 51 in Chamonix, with milky clouds. Any truth, or should that idea be put on ice for a bit...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, So, you are an expert. Well done. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Laughing ...if heading for the mountains with the Hat Man, do not trust any claims he may make to be an expert navigator!
snow report
J2Dave, I totally agree. I use my GPS. (apart from the times I ignore it cause I know better, and end up getting lost...)
snow report
Kaprun had 8cm of new snow right down to the Alpine centre at ca 1900m as forcasted.

Not a massive amount but it's a start.
snow report
DB, Yes!!! and Hintertux and Stubai report 10 cm fresh snow, but Solden still looks terrible.
snow conditions
Two days ago Kaprun had only 38cm of snow up top - the lowest level I've ever heard of for Oct.

Today it has 70 cm Laughing (even the Alpine centre at ca 1900m is reporting 40cm).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing at 3000m in Zermatt yet. Temps are currently -2C / -3C

Best snow on upper slopes ... above somewhere. Nice and sunny though!
snow conditions
Italy:

http://meteolive.leonardo.it/webcams/original/170.jpg

http://meteolive.leonardo.it/webcams/original/230.jpg

http://meteolive.leonardo.it/webcams/original/302.jpg

http://meteolive.leonardo.it/webcams/original/286.jpg

http://meteolive.leonardo.it/webcams/original/238.jpg

Settled down to 1800m in places apparently.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems to have snowed at Saalbach!

http://www.saalbach.at/webcam.htm

snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Its snowed at 3000m Schilthorn Murren

http://www.schilthorn.ch/
ski holidays
it's all really pretty irrelevant at this time of year though ain't it? Has any "early" dump *ever* lasted to the start of the season?
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
it's all really pretty irrelevant at this time of year though ain't it? Has any "early" dump *ever* lasted to the start of the season?

kitenski, at 3000m.................... YES
snow report
kitenski wrote:

The season has started - I'm sure some people were skiing the 24cm of fresh powder on the Kaprun glacier today, the higher lifts are running.

I've skied powder on Austrian glaciers in October before now.
ski holidays
I agree that the Austrian glaciers are well worth a punt in October, but obviously later October is a better bet. However, just to show how mad things can be, I did a couple of days on Hintertux in late October one year and it was sheet ice. I also once skied on the Stubai glacier one August (it was the 31st or thereabouts) and we had a heavy all-day blizzard which settled 15cm on the hotel carpark outside the base station (at a guess, about 1800m). The sound of the snowplough woke me up! It was powder all day up on the glacier.

The Alps are extremely freaky for weather nowadays. Every reason to plan skiing at short notice if possible to capitalise on the best conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith

I don't think the conditions are that variable that we all need to use the book at short notice philosophy.

My theory is to book a village at at least 1800m in January.

If in doubt book La Ros
latest report
January is one of the cooler months, possibly the coldest and with shorter days/less sunlight so why do you need to be 1800m up the hill? We've been away in mid Jan for years and not had an issue skiing in lower resorts. If mother nature hasn't provided the goods then its normally been cold enough to make snow and keep it in reasonable condition snowHead

I apologise in advance for jinxing this coming January LOL.....
snow conditions
skinutter, thanks! just booked a week in jan....we will hunt you down if there is a lack of fresh snow! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
This article is from the European edition of Stars and Stripes : Ideal ski weekend likely with new snow on Austrian slopes

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=40588
ski holidays
I've bet for Lech from 2nd until 9th of Decemeber...praying not have to use a tirolean hat in a green paradise wink
ski holidays
thinking of taking better half for quick weekend ski end oct early nov any good ideas or tips as only ever skied week or more,fri afternoon till sun night would be ideal,thanks
ski holidays
It's pretty unusual not to have decent snow in January, and with all the cannons these days there shouldn't ever be a problem. Come off it! - I was skiing in Wengen at Xmas in the dark ages and it was always OK. Even in a very bad year (officially closed, no snow) we had some pretty fun skiing at Xmas/NY. And Wengen is low!!!!

OYOH, having a glacier and guaranteed skiing does beat cannons any day IMO. Very Happy
snow report
shorty, we're off to Les Deux Alpes at that time for the PSB. Is that the sort of thing you & the better half are thinking of? Come join us in snowEvents on the discussion thread if you would some more info.
ski holidays
shorty, the Mondial in Les Deux-Alpes? Glacier open for skiing and testing. Heaps of SnowHeads there from October 31st-5th November.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Helen Beaumont, there's an echo in here... in here... in here... Laughing
snow report
eng_ch, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Not much snow if these temps keep up. France doesnt seem to be getting much colder either. Evil or Very Mad

Very warm and humid up here today
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy