Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight stop for family between Geneva and Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a Budget overnight hotel for family of 4 - east of Geneva so we can make it up the mountain to ski the saturday. (half term Week). It seems most travel hotels I have looked at are "sleeps 3" to a room.

Anyone any idea or suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yah go to a gite in chamonix!!!!

much more enjoyable and they cook breakfast and dinner for u!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks but we are all staying at an apartment in Les Houches for a week from Saturday 17th Feb and I hoped to find somewhere close enough for an extra days sking (the saturday) before friends join us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Ibis Annemasse, Priceline show rooms for 4 and Accor suggest they have family rooms if you contact the hotel directly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alun Williams, here are some hotels in Sallanches:

http://www.sallanches.com/sallanches_ville_mont_blanc/2hebergement.htm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know that BB hotels, Village Hotels and Mister Bed do 4 person rooms but nothing that side of Geneva. We have 3 kids and normally take 1 camping mat and sleeping bag with us. In a push we have used the 3 bed rooms with 2 sleeping on the floor. For a simple late stop this was fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alun Williams wrote:
...east of Geneva...

Hate to be pedantic, but I think you mean west.

Sallanches would be first choice, but you could also look in Cluses - links here
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, I think he means East. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think he would prefer South East Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
By God my geography's gone down hill. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

EAST you idiot Stanton!

Apologies. Too little beer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alun Williams, Nearest I found for 4 (with vacancy) was the Kyriad - Annecy Centre. Probably 90 minutes to Chamonix
€80 per night through https://www.envergure.fr/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alun Williams, We did exactly what you propose and stayed at the Best Western Porte Sud De Geneve last Easter, which is literally a stones throw from the Autoroute and on the right (mountain) side of Geneva. Modern, clean and quiet (if a bit out-of-town, but so what if you're only passing through) with spacious rooms.

The rate (for a Friday night) was surprisingly good as I think they rely on business custom - it was virtually empty. Pleasant (small but clean) swimming pool was just the job for all of us after 12 hours in the car too! In the morning you're under an hour from Chamonix and about 35-45 minutes from Les Carroz / Grand Massif. Friends stayed in the Formule 1 just down the road, paid about 10 Euros less than we did and said it was dirty, noisy and smelly... but they did save 10 Euros. Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IBIS have a places in Sallanches and Porte Sud De Geneve. You need to phone them about family rooms.

http://www.ibishotel.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Formule 1 AYK only do 3 beds, but they are so cheap you could probably stretch to two rooms. F1s are so weird that it's worth stayig in one for the experience. Ibis are a couple of steps up and have 4 bed rooms; Campanile are in between, I think, and should be worth a look.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just had look 30 euros a night for two people Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Formula 1's have 3 beds but are lacking one vital ingredient; a bathroom. IMO much better of going one step up the ladder to a B&B, Premier Class, Etap, etc, they're only about 10 euros more and you get your own loo and bath Very Happy
snow conditions
Formule 1 is the pits!
latest report
Only plus point is it's price. They all look like prison to me. Find a family-run hotel such as Logis de France or a chambre d'hote.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, And the fact that you don't need to wake people up if you arrive late.
ski holidays
Sorry, anything without it's own bathroom is a no-no. And what if there have been smokers in the room before you. A Campanile is only a little more expensive, and you can arrive late there too.
latest report
This is a useful web site - http://www.eurapart.com/budget.html
ski holidays
Quote:

In a push we have used the 3 bed rooms with 2 sleeping on the floor. For a simple late stop this was fine.

you must have very little kids to get 2 of them sleeping in the floor in a Formule 1, and even then I'd be afraid of stepping on their heads getting out of bed to trot down the corridor to the bathroom. Formule 1 hotels are certainly an experience. We stayed in one where the locks were going funny and some scrawled instructions stuck over the reception desk greeted us on arrival. We puzzled it out, then I went down to the foyer to buy dinner (ie dig out all my euro coins and find enough to buy a Mars Bar and a cup of coffee ....). On the way back I found a very well dressed French businessman, on his knees in front of his door, failing to open it. I felt very proud of myself, in French "May I help you?.... " and explaining how to open his door. He looked very startled, but ultimately grateful. When I took my husband his half Mars Bar and coffee and told him I had come to the rescue of the Frenchman he took the wind out of my sails by suggesting that the poor guy had probably thought he was being accosted by an improbably aged and badly dressed lady of the night.

You see the experienced Formule 1 travellers arriving with a little electric kettle...

Many years spent sailing with different people in some very oddly appointed yachts have convinced me that a private bathroom is not necessary for salvation and that the best aid to a night's sleep is your own goose-down pillow which takes up little room, stuffed into a little sack. We always found F1 basic but perfectly clean, and if I remember rightly you can specify non-smoking when you check in. For that matter, I only once spent a ski holiday in a chalet sufficiently upmarket for us to have an en suite bathroom. The Best Western Porte du Sud sounds brilliant though - must look into that one.
latest report
PhillipStanton wrote:
This is a useful web site - http://www.eurapart.com/budget.html

Great link - thanks.
snow report
J2Dave, Many thanks, The internet rates I am getting tonight are 110 euros plus - which seems to be the rate almos any night. Is this the sort of figure you paid for a Friday night? It certainly seems a good stop after a long day!
latest report
pam w, have never used F1. Before kids we used to use Premiere Classes which was then only a couple of quid more than F1. The times we had 2 kids sleeping in the floor were BB or Villages Hotels. Could probably have squeezed a few more in as well Smile . Bear in mind this is a pure overnight stop. We arrive after dinner and go before breakfast.
ski holidays
Quote:

We arrive after dinner and go before breakfast.

Yes, that is what we do too - we generally eat around 7, then do another two hours and stop for the night, and do an hour or so in the morning before stopping for breakfast. That's why I'm content to stay in F1, it's a means to an end. Also, I often don't sleep too well on the way down, despite the goose down pillow (too excited about going skiing...sad really, when we spend three months in the Alps) and I resent paying 100 euros to stay awake. We can only afford our apartment by economising on the frills.
ski holidays
Alun Williams wrote:
J2Dave, Many thanks, The internet rates I am getting tonight are 110 euros plus - which seems to be the rate almos any night. Is this the sort of figure you paid for a Friday night? It certainly seems a good stop after a long day!

IIRC, we paid around 100 Euros for two double rooms, but I'm pretty sure we only booked the day before so got last-minute rates. Always worth giving them a call and seeing if they'll beat the Internet rate if you book direct.
latest report
I agree with most of the comments about Formule 1, but everyone should experience the weird world of Formule 1 at least once. We used them twice on this years summer hol to France and although I doubt that we'll be darkening their doors again, it's an experience I'm glad to have had. If you're arriving at 1.00am and leaving at 9.00am, they're just about OK.

Where else are you going to see a one piece moulded bog cubicle and bog?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, have to second the Logis de France - we've always found them pretty good value
ski holidays
Alternatively (or as well) you could catch a very early morning flight (eg easyjet from Luton) and AlpyBus (alpybus.com) and get about 4 hours skiing. Even more if you can find an earlier bus.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy