Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Painful Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, another damnfool question here from Durham Red:

I have ony been skiing four times but every time I have found that my feet ache after a few hours.

I have always rented boots and have gone for the superior rentals recently (because of the agony of standard pairs) and they have helped a little - but it is always a relief once I can get the boots off... which seems ironic, given that I spend 11 months a year wanting to get them on!

The aching is always in my arches, and I must admit that walking more than a mile gives me a mild ache, unless I wear my trusty Vans- so I suspect I have dodgy feet! No, I am not overwieght Laughing

I've tried leaning more forward, backwards, sideways... and suspect I will have to get a custom measured pair (but am trying to resist at the present). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Durham Red, there are people here who know an awful lot more about boots than me - HappyMouffe had similar problems with achy feet, they were improved by getting conformable footbeds and eliminated by getting Strolz boots with injected liners. Buying your own boots is definitely the way to go though - typically you'll spend a couple of hours getting boots fitted, whilst when you rent you'll get 15 minutes, if you're lucky!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Durham Red, I can only agree with Hoppo. Buy your own boots and get them properly custom fitted. I don't know any boot-fitters in the North East, if the Lockwoods snowHeads clinic on 23 Oct is too far for you to get to - which I suspect it is!

Mr c has had awful problems with his boots in the past, only finally solved this last year by getting them properly fitted at Profeets in London. We now have happy skiing days! Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Durham Red, I had major problems with hire boots, but none since I've bought my own. Buy your own, but make sure you go to a reputable bootfitter. There still may be some slots for the sH Boot Clinic on the 23rd October if you're lucky and can get there:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17998

PM SMALLZOOKEEPER if you require and appointment.

If you can't get to this CEM may be able to help you or point you in the right direction snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought that might be the only answer, but I'm off travelling for a few years from next september (with only a couple of chances to ski and no room to pack boots), that's why I'm resisting buying any for the time being.

Can anyone give me the names of a few reputable boot fitters so I can look up the nearest ones to Durham? The SH event is a little too far.

I guess they will, at least, be a little more professional than the half-cut students that hurl boots at you in the resort hire shops!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Durham Red, the nearest are Snow and Rock in Gateshead, Nevisport and LD Mountain centre in Newcastle. Personally I would use Nevisport or LD as they have been around the longest. You could also try Ellis Brigham in Castleford - only 90 minutes down the road.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smokin Joe,

Thanks very much Smokin Joe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Durham Red - there's nothing more expensive than painful boots. I once paid £1,200 for a trip to Whistler and wasted 3 days out of 14 not skiing because my feet hurt too much. Do the math!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton wrote:
Durham Red - there's nothing more expensive than painful boots. I once paid £1,200 for a trip to Whistler and wasted 3 days out of 14 not skiing because my feet hurt too much. Do the math!

You think that's bad?

I went from the UK to visit friends in Vancouver last November. Travelled over to Whistler for two days to get some skiing in, only to find that they had closed the slopes for grooming. They opened the slopes up again the day after we left!!! Mad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Durham Red wrote:
I went from the UK to visit friends in Vancouver last November. Travelled over to Whistler for two days to get some skiing in, only to find that they had closed the slopes for grooming. They opened the slopes up again the day after we left!!! Mad

They closed the entire resort for two days to groom? Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk - only the Blackcomb glacier is open at that time of year I think.

The glaciers is heavily used for freestyle camps in the summer - so it might be that they were dissassembling the terrain park features they put in for the summer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Durham Red wrote:

They closed the entire resort for two days to groom? Shocked

The slopes (it might have been just Blackcomb) were open at the weekend and then closed down during the week for grooming before opening proper for the season the following weekend. But missing out by a day after travelling ?,000 miles was soul destroying - especially as Grouse mountain was open and virginal - but we didn't ski there, as we were saving ourselves for Whistler! Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back on topic (sorry, I know, I rarely do this)

Investing in properly fitted ski boots will make a greater difference to your skiing than any other single piece of equipment, and will allow you to progress far further than lessons alone.

Here endeth my on-topic post.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, I finished a ski course half a day early in Whistler due to painful feet, and missed a days skiing, so I know how you feel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy