Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black toe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Every time I go telemarking I get black toe on both feet. Doesn't really hurt but takes 6 month sor so to clear up. No doubt SZK/LZK/CEM will advise me to get new boots but is boot fitting the root cause or does the flexing action cause problems in itself?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, there is no point making the assumption that any of us will tell you to get new boots, AFAIK none of us have ever seen your feet so until we have there is not a lot more to say on the subject of new boots. Little Angel Little Angel

there can be several reasons that you are getting the problem, the majority of them are probably boot related but it doesn't mean you need new ones.

- have you got a foot bed in your boot to stabilize your foot and reduce elongation?
- is the boot the correct size? it is more likely to be too big than too small! if the boot is the wrong size it will not flex at the same place as your foot.
- does your big toe turn up at the end?
- how do you clip your boots at the start of the day?
- How short are your toe nails?

the answer to your problem (i suspect) is somewhere in the above.... how you choose to follow up is entirely up to you.

incedentally in my experience of telemark [ a lot less than alpine] flexing of the foot does not cause this problem unless in conjuction with a boot issue
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM,

Thanks for your considered response, and I apologise to you & the zookeepers for the rushed initial post which on re-reading seems a trifle harsh implying that bootfitters are only interested in selling new boots.

I think if anything the boots are probably half a size too big or so (or 1 shell size) & suspect it is caused by toe bang. I've only got experience of Crispis (rental) which I have always struggled with (seem to be quite flat in the toe box so got real pinch on top of my big toe) and my own Garmonts which I bought second hand to use while learning.

I do use superfeet step ins with a sorbothane heel rise.

The main problem is that its almost impossible to find a retailer (esp in UK) who stocks all 3 makes of tele boots for a properly considered fit (& bearing in mind that I will want stiffer boots as I progress).

Its not a tragedy at the moment but I was just curious - if all tele skiers suffer it then maybe its not a big issue, but from what you say there should be no biomechanical reason why it should occur with a properly fitted boot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Not something we've encoutered as a rule, but can occur. As CEM points out it would be difficult to offer any advice without the offending article and foot in front of me. Come to the clinic! We have most of our TELE problems with Crispi.
P.S. I don't care if you buy new boots or not, however there are some excellent ones on offer this winter Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Do Lockwoods carry Garmont & Scarpa tele boots or just the AT?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I had the old 'toe noir' (as the French call it) a couple of years ago, and although it went away after a few months, the damage allowed some blasted fungal infection to take hold which required a long course of drugs and a lot of messing about to get rid of; it's only now (almost) gone. 'Schwarz toe' is definitely worth not having.

In my case it was caused by too tight boots/the fact that I have weird horseshoe shaped big toe nails.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, Lockwoods do not AFAIK carry the tele boots.... as for stock in the Uk the best [only] places worth visiting for a good selection is mountain spirit in Aviemore or braemar mountain sports in Braemar

not on your doorstep probably.

the boot being a little big will mean it may not flex in the correct place and cause the foot to slide forward, you may be able to resolve this with a pad inserted onto the tongue of the boot to hold your foot back but this could affect how you flex in the boot...... looks like a trip to chamonix is in the planning Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
fatbob, Lockwoods do not AFAIK carry the tele boots.... as for stock in the Uk the best [only] places worth visiting for a good selection is mountain spirit in Aviemore or braemar mountain sports in Braemar

Thanks - I know BMS do mail order fit or return but taking 3 different pairs to try & getting thermo liners baked make things difficult. Unfortunately I'm only likely to out in Cham mid/late season by which time popular sized boots have usually sold out. Might get lucky in Switzerland.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy