Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Chinaillon (Le Grand Bornand)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've already booked to go here next March, so this isn't a will we/won't we question.

We're a mixed group of 16(ish at this stage) absolute beginners to competent intermediates.

Anyone got the inside track on goood ski schools/instructors, mountain restaurants, restaurants in general (though we'll mainly self cater) fun runs and not so fun runs etc.etc.etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoops! posted in the wrong place - can some kind Mod move me please - sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annie, will this do? Can't help with your question though, sorry Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, we've had quite a few days skiing there over the past few seasons. It's not a huge place but despite that does have some great skiing for all levels.

Beginners have some nice and gentle Greens and wide, confidence-building Blues in different parts of the mountain that are well linked by easy routes, so all of you can cover some miles. The scenery is superb, very pretty, and most of the mountain cafes have terraces with great views. The lifts have been upgraded in recent years and the Terres Rouge area (great for beginners and early intermediates) is well laid out and queues are rare.

If your intermediates are confident then try out Le Lachat, which is the jewel in the crown; do not take beginners up here though as there's only Reds and a Black down - the Black is worth a special mention, and is a serious Black by any standards. Le Noir de le Lachat has two main entries; normal is a short, moderately steep but often icy little couloir and the "alternative" (signed as such) is a little easier - but it can't be seen from the top of the ridge and once you're in, you are committed. Both entries take you to the top of a fantastic, steep pitch that opens out rapidly and is the stuff that dreams are made of when it's fresh... Cool

There's lots and lots of easy off-piste between the pistes in various areas for having a play around with and there is some serious stuff off the North face (Instructor / Guide required). Always check Avalanche risk for Le Lachat, if going off, as the slopes are grass underneath and prone to slide if the snow is damp and heavy.

For Ski Schools try StarSki (yellow jackets); seemed good from limited exposure. Le Floria (resto) at the bottom of the town can be variable but generally top pizza, Le Cremerie (?) hotel does good fondues and there are a couple of small-and-friendly creperies along the main street (at the top of the town). The supermarket (a Sherpa I think) is pretty small but well-stocked. If you run out of town / piste to explore you can get the ski bus over into La Clusaz (I think!).

My lounge wall has a coupla big pictures of mountains; one is Mont Blanc and another is Le Lachat, taken on a classic powder day a few years ago. snowHead

Hope that helps, you should enjoy it,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Annie, We skied there last New Year – it’s a great place, friendly and not too expensive. You will find most of the mountain cafes moderately priced. Skiing is varied so should suit a large party – covers everything from great black runs through to scenic tree lined blues.

Grand Bornand has a friendly atmosphere with plenty of restaurants/bistros, though they are a car drive away from Chinaillon.

La Clusaz is about 15 to 20 minutes drive away and adds extra variety – you can cover the whole area with the Aravis ski pass for not much more than the ‘Grand Bornand’
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try a search under "Le Grand Bornand" as there have been prior threads on it and the surrounding area
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks folks, Colin, I've already tried Le Grand Bornand search but other than those that have been there like it for its relative quietness and varietyof slopes, moderate pricing etc there's not a great deal of info so was hoping for some more elaboration. Nice accountJ2Dave,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Annie

Just following up on the other comments on Grand Bornand - all of which are all very good and true.
I live in the Aravis region and have been skiing it for 6 years now. Grand Bornand is a good ski area and really is so easy to get around, and has a great variety of runs to keep any mixed group very happy. In addition - it is also worth venturing across to La Clusaz for some skiing there also. It has more runs and probably more challenging slopes for the intermediate / advanced skiers who will quickly get to grips with Grand Bornand.
You can get a ski bus to La Clusaz (its just 4km away in a parallel valley) - although from Chinaillon it will take a bit of planning to make sure you get the right buses etc. Chinaillon is tucked up on the mountain and perfect for skiing from your door, but then a bit further away in terms of getting in/out and across to La Clusaz.

As for mountain restaurants - there are a good range, and none that I would say are bad - and all good prices. Our favourite 2 are the Chatillon which is at the top of the main cable car - and has the best Salad Berger (goats cheese) in the region. Also good in a traditional kind of way is the Taverne which is on the edge of the Joyere secteur, and it literally is some ladies farmhouse complete with wood buring stoves, mix-match of crockery but good value food and a beautiful view! Thats what its all about....

Ski schools in Chinaillon - yes, Star Ski are very good with good English speaking instructors...

Fun runs - for the more advanced skiers then Piste 2000 form the top is a real joy (when your thighs are ready for it!) and for anyone else make sure you discover the long shoosting blue of Les Annes which is motorway cruising 5km at its best and so quiet and pretty!

All in all - its a fantastic resort and still really quiet and unspoilt... friendly people, good value and good snow, excellently maintained pistes and so easy to get around. Am sure you will have a great time...

More than happy to oblige with any more local knowledge if I can. We have some details on the skiing in La Clusaz etc on our website at www.karibuni.co.uk

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some reassuring information - sounds like it's going to be right up our street!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been there three years running now and our group all loved the place, we are off to Les Gets next year, just for a change of scene. Slopes at Le Chinaillon are all pretty good fun, with a few exceptions. Piste 2000 was hard work, but I think that was due more to the time of the day, where the sun had got into snow and softened it up into ridges. We also liked the little or no queuing for lifts and very easy access to the slopes from our accommodation.

I would be a little concerned about going in March, as the resort isn't that high and the snow may not last until then. We went late January one year and there were a fair few slopes closed by the end of the week due to lack of snow. Luck of the draw I suppose.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy