Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just How Good Is Obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We are just deciding where to ski in austria in early Jan, the destination keeps changing because I'm trying to keep a group of 5 happy.

Can anybody help? Just how good a resort is Obertauern (sking/nightlife ect) and how snow sure is it generally in Jan. Or does anybody have any reccomendations for a group of men who like more challenging terrain?

Thankyou
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I cant help you with Obertauern, but i can list what i know about a few Austrian resorts:

Soll - very cheap, good nightlife and lots of good intermediate skiing. Not much for the highly advanced though. Also, town is a bit away from the lifts which you may find a problem.

Saalbach/Hinterglemm - cheap compared to France but quite "posh" with many very nice 4 star hotels. Amazing intermediate skiing with a great ski circuit. Probably better for the advanced than Soll and is also higher. Towns have good Austrian Nightlife and nearly all hotels are very close to teh lifts.

St.Anton - best place you can go in Austria if you want lots of challengin piste skiing with good off piste also. Great nightlife too. Can be quite expensive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpinebullit, Obertauern has to be one of the most snowsure resorts inAustria. It boasts a season that strectches from Nov-May and that is one of the reasons I choses it for an Easter 2007 trip with the family.

To put it in perspective - Schladming, (which is one of the nearest resorts and has opened in late Nov/early December the last few years) has a top elevation of around 1890m, which is about the same elevation as Obertauern village itself (1750). If there is no snow in Obertauern in January, I would fear for the future of skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro

Thanks for your post, you have put my mind to rest. I've also been checking a few things out today and now, I think myself and all others in the party are happy with a trip to Obertauern. Short transfers, good snowsure resort, ski in ski out, not the biggest ski area I believe but all interconnected so we can't complain. I have also heard the nightlife is good! Ray do you know if there are decent off piste opportunities in Obertauern?? Thanks again.

We are going out early Jan maybe 7th or 8th for a week and searching independently I have come up with some cracking prices for a weeks skiing, I'll probably book the flights today. Smile

Cheers, all thats left to now is decide where to go in Switzerland in March? Very Happy

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinebullit,
I have done a trip report on Obertauern which you can probably find through the search function I didn't get around to sending it to Hoppo.

There is quite a bit of off piste between the pistes which according to an instructor I had for a lesson is generally avalanche safe. It is quite enjoyable and some of it gets quite mogulled. There are also far longer routes away from the resort which I did not try, the instructor said they were excellent but I think a guide would be appropriate.

If you are hiring a car for transfer this could prove useful for visiting other resorts. With its good snow record Obertauern does get some windy snowy weather and there is little sheltered skiing. Some of the nearby resorts are a lot more sheltered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Im heading back early Feb be prepared for the cold it can get a bit nippy at times
If you are Flying in to Salzburg and DIYing it there is a Shuttle Service to take you to Obertauern see http://www.obertauern.com/
The run of Gamsleiten 2 lift would fit into the challenging category but there is not a lot of other difficult marked piste
Ive been told of a fair amount of off piste thats challenging with a guide but thats beyond my skills
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpinebullit wrote:
Hi all

We are just deciding where to ski in austria in early Jan, the destination keeps changing because I'm trying to keep a group of 5 happy.

Can anybody help? Just how good a resort is Obertauern (sking/nightlife ect) and how snow sure is it generally in Jan. Or does anybody have any reccomendations for a group of men who like more challenging terrain?

Thankyou

What do you mean exactly by "challenging terrain"? i.e. Are you looking for steep runs, moguls, off-piste inbetween pistes, back country offpiste etc?

St Anton probably offers the largest amount of expert and backcountry terrain in Austria.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry DB When I said challenging terrain I meant it in as wide as possible terms. The group is split between 2 snowboarders and 3 skiers. So challenging would mean - steeps, off piste in the resort and for a couple of us guided off piste away from the resort. I'm just trying to keep everybody happy.

I was going to take us to St Anton but a couple of the lads didn't want to go back there, they wanted to go somewhere new. Personally I would have gone back to St Anton. I have always enjoyed my time spent there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpinebullit,

Obertauern is not on the same level as St Anton, it's a smaller resort with easier slopes. Have skied Obertauern but with a group who didn't do offpiste although just looking at a map, Obertauern isn't going to come close with St Anton on off-piste either.

St Anton is the No1 resort for experts in Austria. For a change of scenery Ischgl would probably be a better option
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=24&desc=Ischgl

than Obertauern
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=13&desc=Obertauern

I'm planing to meet an English group over in Ischgl late Jan 07 and am tasked with sourcing a good off-piste guide. If you do decide on Ischgl and need a guide let me know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB matey, thankyou for your advice and your help it is appreciated. If I can change the groups mind then I will. In general we have all skied the bigger resorts and this time out are looking to find a good smaller resort for a change. I think this is why Obertauern has come out as a possible destination.

I've not been to Obertauern but I think the reason we are considering it is its proximity to salzburg airport, ski in ski out accomodation, good snow record and lively apres ski. Also I've priced it up at around £400 including flights, accom and lift passes which is pretty reasonable. (if I could get st anton for the same then I could definatley change everybodys minds) We'll make the most of the skiing without doubt whilst we are there, however I am concerned that the skiing just may not be challenging enough for us. I don't want to get bored in the week!!

Db also thanks for the advice on Ischgl, I'm off sking again in march but on my own so I've only got myslef to please and may head there or back to St Anton!!

Cheers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent idea Alpinebullit - save a few pennies on the less important stuff - flights, accomm etc, and spend it all on hiring a powder sniffing guide to take ya to the white truffle fields!

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll be seeing you there White Gold, can't wait to get on the plane buddie, and yes conditions permitting we'll be hunting out the powder.

All the best. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy