Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

canada-february-where is best?

Poster: A snowHead
hi i know very little about canada apart from its cold! and have a window for 2 weeks in feb 2007

initially 4 resorts spring to mind - whistler(obviously), Red, Big White and Kicking Horse

Im a skier who is just waking up to the joys of backcountry and powder!

any advice

rik
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fernie.

Next question?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler

Next question?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wherever you go, take your silk underwear. It'll be nippy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lovely powder in Big White! snowHead

Next!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yah i am asking specific to february rather than just a standard whats the best resort. been looing on skiclub historic snow but it goes back 1 yr for me (non paid member) and last season (06)was pretty bumper everywhere
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check Alberta, BC school holidays (also called teacher's conference or reading week IIRC) re timing. Whistler will be busy whenever esp around US presidents weekend.

Of your shortlist I'd say Red or KH if you want something challenging and relatively quiet which would be mindblowing if you get decent snow. Snowfall is just a punt but you've a decent chance anywhere in Feb. Both these places could get tiresome if you hit a dry spell but htey are in the reasonable vicinity of other resorts for variety.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm saving myself thinking about where to go by going to Red then Whistler snowHead
Whistler is not normally particularly cold
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum, KH is brilliant when the snow is good, but it isn't big. It has been a well-hyped resort. All the BC resorts can have variable snow conditions, and this includes Fernie which had a tough early season 2 years ago. At least in February you should probably miss the infamous Whistler experience of getting rain-soaked. If you have 2 weeks, I would do at least 2 resorts, perhaps 3 to spread the risk. I am not sure KH is worth more than 2 days unless it has powder...
I think here are TOs who will do 4 days in lake louise, 2-3 days cat skiing and then off to the helicopter...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're after backcountry, Whistler. And it won't be busy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler and whats new for this season? http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/about_whistler/whats_new.asp?content_id=140
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks gary
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say Whistler as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
hi i know very little about canada apart from its cold!

The rocky mountain resorts (Banff, Lake Louise etc) are cold, but the further towards the pacific you go the warmer it gets.
Given that you are only just getting into powder, then IMO Red and Kicking Horse you should avoid, and go to the resorts where you have the opportunity of some decent piste skiing as well. You've already mentioned Big White, but there's also the other Okanagan resorts of Silver Star and Sun Peaks - all three normally give brilliant power conditions, often both on and off piste, and are far quieter that the likes of Whistler, so it's easier to find fresh snow days after a storm. The Okanagan resorts are also close enough together that you don't have to take a day off skiing to drive/bus between the two.
Quote:
and have a window for 2 weeks in feb 2007

Make sure it's the first two weeks. Third week (from 17th) is US Presidents Week, and is hence the equivalent of European half-term (but not quite as bad) for BC.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth wrote:

I heard rumours of a -50*C wind chill last January. Many skiers were frozen to the snow in the familiar inukschuk pose.

(http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/gallery/sept06/sept14_3.htm)

Smile
snow report
Snowy, -50 wind chill is possible in high winds and exposed areas. As for skiers being "frozen" - that would only happen if they stood like that until hypothermia set in - most would ski to shelter.
Normally Whistler would be more like European temperatures.
snow conditions
"The best skiing is generally from mid-December to mid-March with ideal temperatures with a lot of powder. The Whistler weather during this time is between -10 C and 5 C in the village. The mountain top is about 7 to 10 C cooler and with windchill can reach – 40 C. Be prepared for extreme weather conditions when skiing at Whistler. The average snowfall in Whistler is 360 inches or 30 feet or over 9 meters per year."

http://www.whistler-real-estate-online.com/whistler-weather.html
ski holidays
I have a friend who just planned a family vacation. He said the arrangements for Whistler were Double the cost of taking his family to Steamboat in Colorado. But Colorado isn't in Canada, If I remember my Geography correctly wink
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:
stuarth wrote:

I heard rumours of a -50*C wind chill last January. Many skiers were frozen to the snow in the familiar inukschuk pose.

Smile

Snowy,
Well February actually NehNeh , was a little nippy - I think the frozen 'person' was Dave - that'll teach him too ski slowly! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy