Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help for arthritic knee

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
I have had two cartilage operations on my right knee the second one being last October. I am pleased to say that following the operation, I was able to manage 2 separate weeks skiing without any mishaps. We have now booked for the coming season and although my knee is in reasonable condition, I have been told that I have arthritis in the knee and will eventually need a replacement. I have since had a course of injections to help the joint and today had a steroid injection.

My question is about exercise, I am being given so much conflicting advice, that I don't know what to follow. I obviously want to keep the muscles around the joint as strong as possible ready for skiing. When I have been for the injections, I see a different doctor each time and they all seem to have different opinions on what form of leg building exercise I should use. One says do lots of squats while holding weights and other says I should not do squats because that will put pressure on the joint. I have also been told not to use the machine for leg curls yet today, I was told that was OK. I do use the cross trainer for cardiovascular exercise and swim quite a lot avoiding breast stroke. Does anyone have any advice for me. I think a skier would know best.

Cheers
Alan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlanUK,
I'd try and see a sports physio, with as much info as possible about exactly what operations, arthiritis,etc. you have.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worth a session with a sports physio who skis. I had arthroscopy in for cartilage trim a while back & am now on single leg leg curls, single leg presses, alternate lunges, squats against wall with swiss ball plus abit of jumping on & off BOSU & cross trainer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanUK, can you be more specific in your whereabouts - I might be able to point you to a skiing physio
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlanUK, Keep the weight off, keep the quads and hamstrings strong. Perhaps speak to your doctor about anti inflammatory drugs to start taking them just before your holiday
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definately wouldn't swap around with Doctors and wouldn't want too many injections at all.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Myself, I would start with straight leg lifts but find a physio who skis and one who knows what he/she doing is worth their weight in gold. So once you find this physio AND trust them, work on their dedicated program. Thats not the easy part...

But too many injections of steroids could be storing up arthritic problems later IMV...and I'm not a doctor.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for the input, it's appreciated I'm in Manchester Boyski
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

single leg leg curls, single leg presses

fatbob, grateful if you could expand on this. Are you working in a more concentrated way on the leg that had the arthroscopy? My husband had one, and the joint doesn't feel super stable. He did the physio exercises he was given in hospital but they are all v gentle and I suspect he should now step it up (the op was last February).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my experience you will instinctively knoew how hard to push the knee coz it hurts and swells when you do too much. Work it just up to that point.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

single leg leg curls, single leg presses

fatbob, grateful if you could expand on this. Are you working in a more concentrated way on the leg that had the arthroscopy? My husband had one, and the joint doesn't feel super stable. He did the physio exercises he was given in hospital but they are all v gentle and I suspect he should now step it up (the op was last February).

These are just using the relevant machines with the bad leg alone so the good one can't automatically compensate. The other leg may get in the way a bit on curls. Start on low weights (maybe 1/3 of what both legs can do). Stability may be down to ligaments & not just post op loss of strength though so I'd check with an expert.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Nicholas, do you know any in surrey / middlesex (near hampton court?) my dad has just had a hip op.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanUK,
Got almost the same op history as yourself and similar outcome, Arthritus. Sad I'm now a 46 year old with a knee of a 60 year old! I also will need a knee replacement in later years, if I was 60 it would happen know! Following the cartilage ops I had a chondroplasty (prob not spelled correctly) That's where they scrape away the damaged surfaces inside the knee to smooth them and attempt to get them to 'self' repair. Had hydro therapy, certainly no impact excersises, with arthritus. Had one steriod injection, an eye watering experience, and that did help! Was recommended swimming as well.

Re conflicting DR opinions, surely you are under a consultant? If you are getting 'baby' drs in training then ask to see the same main man each time. I did and then got consistant advice. Alternatively see a Sports therapist, but get a copy of your hospital notes to take there. Over three years after that last op and my leg muscles are still not recoverd fully, probably will never be the same. Additional muscle strength my help support the knee. I've got 'slack' ligaments, that's not fixable, so I also use a knee support when ski-ing. For your particular circumstances, I cannot recommend any excersise, that would'nt be correct for me to do that. Every case will be different.

The outcome to my situation is that, I'll never be a ski racer, but using some common sense it's fine. Ski-ing, i still get a sore knee, I see the DR for some pain killers before I go, and I'm sorted! Laughing

You should be fine, but dont over do the excercise unless advised by a professional. Have a great holiday!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Nicholas, can you recommend someone suitable in the south Hampshire area? Thanks. Otherwise I had thought of asking in Filarinskis, our excellent local ski shop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fraserp, I am actually 55 years old and I did ski twice last season after my second op (the first was 10 years ago) and I am certainly planning to keep at it for a few more years yet so I hope that makes you feel better. Like you say, you just need to use common sense and not take any risks.

I had the steroid injection yesterday and I am glad I did not read your account before as I may have cried off, as it happens it was pretty painless, I suppose it depends on who does it and how gentle they are. I did have the op privately but apart from the first the follow up, the subsequent appointments have been on the NHS so I haven't been able to speak to the consultant again although it is his clinic.

I did take get my notes sent to the sports physio at the gym but he wanted to see me twice a week for months and at £35 a go, I couldn't afford it especially after having paid out 2.5K for the op. Anyway, lets hope we can both keep going for a few years yet!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlanUK, I sure do intend keeping going! I had two of the ops within 18 months on the NHS. Last about 2 years ago, 9 months before ski-ing. Re the injection it was the local anasthetic I was given that the Dr said it may sting a bit, he wasnt wrong! I'm not under any treatment, but still cannot 'leap tall buildings in a single bound'! wink

In fact it was the Dr's telling me what couldnt do that prompted me to try ski-ing. But then I am a contrary bug! Last year got a bit bored ski-ing in my comfort zone, so this year it's going to be an attempt at Off Piste, that should kill or cure me! A few decent bumps, drops, get the old ticker racing..... now didn't I say earlier 'use common sense' ?

Have fun, but take care.
ski holidays
fraserp, IMHO if you have an arthritic and damaged knee and want to ski for as long as possible then try to avoid
Quote:

Off Piste, that should kill or cure me! A few decent bumps, drops, get the old ticker racing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote ,
Quote:
IMHO if you have an arthritic and damaged knee and want to ski for as long as possible then try to avoid

Hey, I didn't know my mother subscribed to this forum? wink

Thanks for the advice though. Laughing
snow report
fraserp, Laughing In my experience there are 2 things that really hurt the arthritic knee (apart from the usual traumas)
One is over use
The other is sharp impacts (jumps and bumps). A healthy joint helps absorb imact, but a damaged knee and cartilage (if you have any) results in the 2 bone end pounding into each.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

I agree...... Very Happy
snow report
fraserp, The term "ski bore" is well known. I am a "knee bore" wink Laughing
ski holidays
AlanUK, I've got a bad knee too. I do squats with weights but it is essential that you get the technique right otherwise it really will put too much stress on the knee cartilage. You need to get the technique checked by a sports physio. The key is when bending your knee to ensure that it doesn't go further forward than your ankle, and that you put your weight through the heel, not ball of foot. Almost everybody I see doing squats at the gym does it wrong. But do get any weights technique checked out with a physio watching you. You should also watch yourself in the mirror to check you aren't allowing your knee to go forward of your ankle.

The other exercise I have found to be excellent is cycling - you can get both CV and strength improvements if you vary the gearing and cadence that you use as you are going along. My knee has recovered hugely since I started cycling a lot.
snow conditions
docsquid, how do you squat without your knee going forward of your ankle, surely you flex your ankles during a squat. A squat with your knee above your ankle puts the weight behind the knee and you will fall over
latest report
Quote:

A squat with your knee above your ankle puts the weight behind the knee and you will fall over

Russell, Maybe his bum's not as heavy as yours? Little Angel
ski holidays
Russell, It would certainly put little strain on the knee Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy