Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski lifts get struck by lightning?

Poster: A snowHead
and what is it like if they do?

Actually, I know they do, up to a point because I was up Vesuvius on holiday and the bus stops where the chair lift (not actually a ski lift then) went from before it was struck by lightning and destroyed.

I suppose we tend to get electrical storms in summer, so it isn't a likely ski problem.

Anybody any experiences?

snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, I've been up the L2A glacier in summer when they've evacuated because of impending storms.

easiski did look a tad concerned Confused

The summer thunderstorms can be really spectacular, which is more than can be said for my attempts to photograph them rolling eyes

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of the lifts at our place were closed for about an hour last winter due to danger of lightning strikes. It was the first time it had occurred to me that this might happen as you don't normally get those sorts of storms in the winter. I expect a skier on an exposed mountainside might also be at higher risk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My mum and dad were on a cable car in Switzerland a few months ago when it was struck by lightening. It took about 1/2 hour to get it going again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, ski lift at the local dry slope was hit by lightning a few years back. Fortunately we'd already got everyone off the lift and slope before it happened.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes. Had some mighty worried beginners at Kirkwood after all hell broke loose and it takes about 6mins to ride up Chair 1, dry at the bottom the whole time but larger than pea-sized hail at the top Shock Had the further out and more exposed lifts go on hold because of thunder storm activity quite a few times in the spring.

The danger lies in people being stranded on the lift for some time, if the lift takes a direct hit that decides to earth through the motor room there will be problems! Shocked

The issues is that if the lift can't be restarted either on the main or back up drive, a rope evacuation would be needed, and you don't really want to be doing that during an electrical storm rolling eyes

I wouldn't be overly concerned though if a storm breaks while your riding a chairlift, yes your sitting on a giant lightning conductor, but one which is earthed through the towers, you suspended in mid-air do not provide a good route to earth! If however your riding a Poma Drag lift, bail Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
If however your riding a Poma Drag lift, bail

Interesting advice. Seems to make sense, but has anyone on a Poma actually died in that situation? I've never heard of a fatality.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B wrote:
My mum and dad were on a cable car in Switzerland a few months ago when it was struck by lightening. It took about 1/2 hour to get it going again.

I guess the lifties had to look on the bright side.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:
If however your riding a Poma Drag lift, bail

Interesting advice. Seems to make sense, but has anyone on a Poma actually died in that situation? I've never heard of a fatality.

Honest answer is I'm not sure, the chance of a hit on the lift is slim, and the chance of it coming down your poma is even slimmer! Such a hit though might not be fatal as it would likely be below the head and vital organs (unless your a guy in which case would you want to take that risk?) Think where that bar goes! Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know some of the lifts were some how damaged in Lightning when I was there. It meant they couldnt open the Funicular the Next day. I have no idea how long it took to fix either (Val Claret).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure about the lifts, but slope 1 at Aldershot is closed if there's an electrical storm - as the top half is a ramp stuffed up 15 feet in the air on some huge RSJs - in the Army's own inimitable style Shocked .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Winterhighland, Laughing and Shocked at the idea of being on a lightning-hit Poma.

Seems to be quite an interesting topic. Just wondering in what way the Vesuvious lift was destroyed. Might just have been a precautionary measure to stop anyone writing anything as awful as Funiculi Funicular again. That was about a train up the same mountain.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, Ah yes I remember that well....

There's some pictures around of Vesuvious with the chairlift on, looks awful. Just a few concrete bases left that remain of it to see if you go there now. By the way - its worth zooming in on the volcano in Google Earth, you can see how the area around the volcano is all lush and green - and deserted for some radious!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After being out in the storm Edmundh009 mentions, not supprising that something got damaged. Worst storm I had been in for a long time!
Just very glad that it was hit in the afternoon, getting stuck in the middle with ski's, boots etc and having to walk down would not have been fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some years back a four person chair at Alpe D'huez was hit by lightning and stopped for ages. People were winched down. HOWEVER, Skiing is a sport where a level of danger is all around us all of the time, and I think lightning hitting lifts is probably close to the bottom of the list. The lift is far more likely to be hit by a 100mph avalanche! Ot being pessimistic though, as Nike says, Just do it!
ski holidays
brian

How did you put the pictute in your post?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, I suspect that POMAs are safe because for you to earth the lightning strike there has to be good conduction between you and the ground and I suspect ski boots (being plastic) are not particularly conductors - so no needs for the boys to wince any more Shocked
ski holidays
Don't forget though Nick L that lightning is looking for the easiest path to ground and a long metal cable coupled to a person will get it to within inches of the ground itself, it could still jump from body to the ground and bypass the boots. That said though I'd expect the metal posts holding the lift up to provide a better path to ground.

PS if w_tom tracks this down to here there'll be hell to pay.
PPS if you don't know who w_tom is then be thankful (or search google groups).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy