Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Veysonnaz

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone stayed there. How was the skiing? Would you go back again? Our group would be 4 confident skiers. " children who have skied 2 weeks and one skier with 3 weeks' experience. The latter can all ski easier reds. How is the skiing around Thyon and Les Collons-I've skied in Verbier once and there are plenty of comments re Nendaz/ Verbier.
Thanks for any help Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know anything personally but there are 23 referances to it in the snowHeads forums:
u might like to check them out (if u haven't already) while you're waiting for someone more knowlegable than me to come along.

Veysonnaz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its nice area. Interlinked to Thyon,Haute Nendaz, Verbier. I liked it when I was there a few years back. Nice slope restuarant. Good slopes for the kids. I beleive they were going to build a underground funnicular,not sure if that ever came about. Town is more Dutch & Germans than Brits I would say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dan100, Have just spent a few days at the Hotel Chalet Royal in Veysonnaz walking in the area.

In the winter we stay at Haute Nendaz but know the area very well. The gondola from Veysonnaz to Thyon 2000 is much improved from last year. Runs back to Veysonnaz are red whilst the ski-ing from Thyon 2000 over to Les Collons are great for beginners. I would think that keen newbies could ski back to Veysonnaz after about 3 days from a standing start. For those not so confident one could take the gondola back to Veysonnaz.

For the intermediate with an early start one could get over to Verbier for the day but you would need to watch the last lift times.

The best run in the resort is the Piste de l'Ours (Bear Run) which is a World Cup GS run. It is very RED but one of the best runs anywhere in my opinion.

Lovely sunny good all round Swiss resort, and generally undiscovered by the Brits.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Very Happy rolling eyes Also interested in Nendaz if we can find a nice apartment chalet. I've seen David's positive comments about Nendaz. Now all I need to do is to persuade the other members of the partythat DIy is the way forward. I could get scheduled flights with BA inc taxes to Genenva for £110 , an apartment for c£700 that sleeps 8 and then transfers from geneva to nendaz and veysonnaz for which I'm budget £70-£100 per person inc train and taxi from sion. A crystal cheapie isn't going to be much cheaper and you get a shoebox. I think its a no brainer but didn't win the argument last year. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, http://www.interhome.co uk is a good site for booking on line both for Nendaz and Veysonnaz. Also http://www.tour-st-martin.ch is a good agency which have used in recent years. Both sites have properties in Veysonnaz and Nendaz for rental.

I am not sure where you live in the UK, but have thought of driving to the mountains - Veysonnaz and H. Nendaz are 540 miles from Calais about 9 hours driving using m'ways. Our method is leave Friday pm - ferry and nice meal - drive for 50 to 100 miles - Chambre d'Hote BB - next day at the resort by 5:00 pm - We buy wine in boxes on the ferry and do a shop for basic enroute in France. Coming home - leave resort no later than 09:00am - arrive Calais for 19:30 to 20:00 ferry - arrive Dover 21:00 - back home in Woking before midnight.
No tiresome airport queues and delays. Take all your gear etc in the car (especially if self catering). For somewhere 600 miles or less once on the continent for us flying is just not an option. Remember if you are constrained by school holidays flights to Geneva are very expensive. One other suggestion if you really feel safer with a package try http://www.otp.co.uk - On the Piste Holidays.

Come back on the thread if you need more info.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David. I suspect others in the group would be anti-driving. I could be tempted but as I live in S.E wales tehre is a good chunk of 250 miles to calais to add on to the drive Sad Thanks for the comments about OTP. I've had quotes frm them. I think it would be cheaper to cut them out. As I say hoepfully I'll persuade the others to diy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100, if you decide your group to go diy then the best and cheapest way to any resort in Switzerland is rail and post bus. Switzerland has a fully integrated travel system that works!! Check our http://www.sbb.ch ie. Swiss Rail and bus network.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can vouch for Swiss rail...they do exactly what they say on the tin. a pleasant travel experience. In fact from my base in the SE, I think rail travel to the alpes is the best way to travel.

In fact, I need to make it back to the Verbier Valleys some time
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi
Looking for some info on veysonnaz
Group of 30 somethings, mixed ability skiers have hired a chalet
First time not going with a tour company
Wondering if a car was essential ? options are hire a car in Paris or go by Train and be carless for the week
We are going 27th December ....likelihood of snow?????

Also any recommendations for night life (of a reasonably cheap and cheerful nature) more than welcome
In fact any info at all at all
Many Thanks in advance

Sean
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seanav, Veysonnaz is located at the end of the 4 Valleys system of which Verbier is the big brother. It is located in a beutiful position overlooking the Rhone Valley, and the canton capital of Sion. If you are happy to ski locally only then there is good ski-ing above Veysonnaz at Thyon 2000 and Les Collons. You can also easily ski over to Siviez and Haute Nendaz. However if you are wanting to go over to Verbier then a car is really a "must". With a car you can easily drive to Siviez in 25 minutes and from there it is only 2 lifts to the top of the Verbier circuit. Trying to include Verbier by just using up hill transport could be quite a challenge to get to Verbier and back with some time in Verbier. There are 5 lifts to use to get from Veysonnaz to Siviez on the way there are 3. So a car is quite useful to get the full benefit of the whole area if that is what you want. I don't know anything about the nightlife but I suspect there is some but I would have thought quite low key.

Check out the following sites:
http://ski.intermaps.ch/printze/index.swf?lang=en
http://www.veysonnaz.ch/en/Place/

Come back if you need more info.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dan100, I suggest Nendaz is the better bet. Its in the middle of the 4-Valleys and allows you to go either way. Vaysonnaz is right at one end.
We drove to nendaz and stayed in an Interhome chalet. Easy drive, excellent chalet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the subject of 4 valleys, could anyone tell me (suspect DAVID SNELL can - thanks for all the info in your posts!) how "red" the runs are down to Siviez from the Veysonnaz side. Our family is of various abilities, 2 pretty good, 1 timid but OK technically and me - can get down most things given time but have a tendency to want to chicken out if too icy/steep. I remember the reds in Wengen being quite straightforward whereas some reds in la Plagne were scary for me. Looking at the map I think my more timid son would enjoy the Thyon area but wonder if it would be better to drive to Veysonnaz rather than take the bus to Siviez with other 2 who will no doubt be going to Mont Fort most days. I'd rather ski the reds back but only if they are wide/not too steep! Thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AW, You suspected right Very Happy The red run down from the Combatzeline to the car park at Siviez is not too bad if one takes it slowly. It can be a bit crowded at the end of the day. The main thing is that this piste is generally kept "mogul free" and also refreshed every night when we have gone home. For the very timid it is possible to take the chairlift down without any problem to the Siviez car park.

The other thing worth noting is that on journey across to Veysonnaz the last lift is a T-Bar. On the journey in other direction there is another T-bar which you need to use. Most of the time there is an attendant on duty to help.

The great delight for good intermediate id the Piste de L'Ours which is a red Giant Slalom run which is great fun with its difficulty very much associated by local weather conditions. The red run back to Veysonnaz village is quite red but again OK if one takes it slowly. In my opinion the red to the village is the most difficult local red run. Half way down this though there is a beautiful sunny restaurant with fabulour views. Again for the faint hearted you get back to Veysonnaz village by way of the gondola. The local ski-ing at Thyon 2000 is quite easy but there are a couple of T-Bars. Also in the Les Collons/Thyon 2000 region there is a reasonable black run called Etherolla. This is long and quite steep but again kept generally mogul free, and should be OK with confident intermediates.

That's about it - if you need further info come back to me

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much for that - sounds like I might even manage a black this year if it's mogul free! Like the sound of the restaurant too. It all sounds quite do-able - we can cope with the odd T bar even though we prefer chairs, being lazy. I may well ask another question - sure I'll think of something; it's a long time until February and I'm already getting over excited! It looks like a beautiful area Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Getting from Geneva airport to Sion is very easy on the train, plenty of room for luggage and board bags/skis, the trains are much bigger than the UK .Took about 2hours. The station is directly under the airport and not very crowded. We paid about £50 or £70 pounds return I think last season. They go every half hour. I went to Nendaz and there is a bus stop 100m from the station, we had to get an early bus back to the station at about 5 45am so early flights are not a problem. There were several other busses so you may be able to get to your chosen resort from there. There are quite a few stations along that line so lots of resorts could be reached. I would recomend it, gives you a sense of satisfaction to find your own way and not too much hassle. Very Happy
ski holidays
Bored@work, There is a regular post bus service up to both Veysonnaz and Haute Nendaz. These buses tend to coincide with train arrivals and are always on time. The Swiss Rail website can give you all the information that you require on http://www.sbb.ch/en/

TIP: If you are renting an apartment and travelling independantly it is well to make sure that it is not too far from a resort bus stop or the gondola. So make sure to check this out with the agency locally, otherwise you could end up with a long walk with all your luggage to your accommodation. If you were choose a tour operator then door to transfers are included - Crystal do have the Pracondu Apartments in Haute Nendaz now, but I am not sure if any tour operator is going to Veysonnaz as yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy