Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting chart for PSBers

brian
brian
A medium to long-ish range chart with freezing level dropping below 2000m and hopefully a bit of precipitation snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, Niederschlag is a great word. Thanks for the chart.
snow report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, almost as good as Doppelsesselbahn Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, there's good agreement for the temps there until 12th. Precipitation's a bit more hit and miss (though 6th/7th looks good with temps slightly higher). I haven't looked at the chart, but the noticeable sawtooth in temps suggests transition to HP?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can someone please explain what all the squigley lines mean?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at the chart, a low pressure system moves in bringing a pool of cold air, before moving of NE bringing some northerlies on it's western edge with high pressure follosing in over the western UK. If that came off there would be snow showers at least in the mountains, and the UK will feel noticeably cooler, too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
Can someone please explain what all the squigley lines mean?

See third post in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852&highlight=ensemble
latest report
 brian
brian
johnboy, squiggly lines across the middle are the temperature in the atmosphere where the pressure is 850mb (surface is ~1000mb, so 850 is usually round about 1500m up but it varies depending on whether you're in high or low pressure situation). The thick red line is the 30 year average.

Squiggly lines at the bottom are precipitation (in mm of rain). Very roughly 1mm of rain corresponds to 1cm of level snow (ie. no drifting effects) but due to the effects of mountains you can usually bump the numbers up or down a bit depending on the aspect of the mountain and the direction the snow's arriving from.

The reason there are multiple lines in different colours is because this is an ensemble forecast, explained nicely by carled here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=297411&highlight=ensemble+gfs#297411

The thick white lines are the means for temp and precip of all the ensemble runs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, beat you! snowHead

Incidentally, there's some reasonable agreement from ECMWF & UKMO (up as far as you can see their output), too.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
skanky, good to have you back Very Happy

Last winter I had to plough a lonely weather geek furrow most of the time, anyway I think you're better at it wink

UCA Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
anyway I think you're better at it

brian, we'll agree to disagree. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian & skanky, no matter who's the 'best' it's good to have both of you speculate (should that be forecast?) what the snow gods have in store for us. Hopefully we will have a cold and dynamic season for you to get your teeth stuck into Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like to think that I’m reasonably intelligent (I did A-levels when they were difficult and got 4 - I have done a Bachelors degree and a Masters - my IQ has been measured at 139)
However GFS is beyond me I spent several minutes reading this thread :-http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,50569,50592#msg-50592
I got the general idea but still could not tell you what’s going on in the chart above Puzzled
Ok I know if the graph dips down that’s good but I could not tell you why.
Am I alone?
Maybe if it was in English it would help wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, the thick red line in the middle is the 30-year average temperature for those dates. The thin, coloured lines represent different forecasts. The white line is the average of the forecasts. The conclusion is that, on average, the forecasts predict that it's going to be a bit colder than usual after 4th October.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
II, the upper lines are plotted against the figures on the left. These are the temperatures (in *C) at a height of roughly 1500m. The lower lines precipitation and plotted against the right hand axis (these are plotted as mms of rainfall, even though it may fall as snow - but then nearly all rainfall starts off as snow).

Incidentally this chart is not necessarily unique to GFS (it's just another model), but it is, AFAIA, the only global model where all of the output is freely available to the public. There is a model run by the University of Basel that's a bit more experimental where all/most output is available. I'll post a link if I get a chance.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ignoring such things as temperature inversions, is there a typical decrease in temperature for a given increase in altitude? I vaguely remember the term "adiabatic" from the meteorological module I did many moons ago. For example, if the GFS forecast was for 5ºC at 850mb (say 1500m) what would be the forecast temperature for 3000m?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, I think 2 deg C per 300m is the rule of thumb.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman, thanks.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar.org.uk, for dry air, 1 degree C per 100m. This is reduced when the air is moist by condensation releasing the latent heat of vapourisation, so I think in the middle of say, a warm front, it could be as little as 1 degree C per 300m.
ski holidays
brian, thanks. A further question: how dry is dry? Is the 1ºC per 100m for a theoretical mass of air, or would this rate of cooling apply to a typical cloud-less day in the mountains?
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar.org.uk, unsaturated, ie. no condensation happening. So yes, this would apply to the cloudless day.
ski holidays
brian, Thanks, this is like Meteorology 101 this morning Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have time to kill, you could do a lot worse (weather learning wise) than peruse this site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.weather/metindex.htm
I keep having to go back to it as my ability to retain information (esp. figures) is very poor.
snow report
II, Like me, you need the women's guide to weather forecasts.

1) Will it snow. Yes/very likely/not very likely/no.

2) A guess at how much.

3) Will it be cold enough to have to wear an extra fleece and/or long johns.

Thank you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi,

1) Forget the first and last options. These are all that's possible:

Will it snow? It is snowing / Very Likely / Not Very Likely / It isn't at the moment

(you could add a middle "Likely" if you wanted)

3) That depends on how cold it has to be to need to wear them. wink
latest report
skanky, What! Shocked You're really clever; you study all those charts and data and that's all you can tell us? rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
maggi, I'm not really clever. Neutral

Looks to have warmed up from the 9th and is hovering around average temps after that. However, I've heard (ahem, read) more than one person say that GFS tends towards average in uncertain situations so it's just adding to the uncertainty.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy