Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valdisere is going automatic

Poster: A snowHead
....from the looks of the webcam

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/webcam/webcam/popup/webcam2.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, the whole Espace Killy is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About time too!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sure is, and no photo required either.

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/sejour/forfait/pass.php
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP wrote:
About time too!!

too right .. i couldn't believe it when i was there for the first time in more than 10 years in January and had to dig around for my pass at every lift ... put me off France even more than usual.

Austria rocks !!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val D'Isere - Years behind La Rosiere again Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, and Serre Chevalier, where I can load my liftpass onto my Swatch .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, I suspect you can do the same in Courchevel (and poss Val?) where they've only just introduced hands-free. I had my pass in a pcket on my left sleeve and my watch on my left wrist last year and since it kept telling me it couldn't read my pass and then could last year, I presume it was trying to read the Switch Access as well as the card. Might have to try them on the watch this year Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, a friend of mine spent a day in the Skiwelt skiing with 2 liftpasses, he though he'd lost it (but it turned up in the back of his wallet) so he bought a new one. At the end of the day he discovered the 'missing' one and they gave him a full refund on it as it hadn't been used. Apparantly the machine picks up the nearest pass each time (strongest signal) so it always got the one in his lower pocket rather than the one in his top jacket pocket, leaving the higher one unused.
Couldn't have done it with a standard photo pass of course, but then he wouldn't have been able to tuck it into the CC slot of a wallet without noticing either.

My jacket's got a built in pocket for a liftpass at the hemline and my gloves have even got a pocket on the back of them for the same purpose.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

no photo required either

I see a photo is required from 8 days, to stop people buying season passes and including them free with an apartment, I suppose. I was told in Chamonix last year that there are screens in the lift offices which flash up the photo of the pass holder - so if the photo is a bald guy and the punter is a little old lady, they can pull them in. I lost a season pass for the Espace Diamanet early on last year - but because they are electronic they could issue me with another (small admin charge) and then stop the original, so if anyone had tried to use it they would have been sussed immediately. They certainly make life easier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ceng_ch, Courchevel isn't listed on the website though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, and Couchevel's own web site doesn't say you can use Swatch Access. But the gates are identical to the ones here in CH where Swatch Access is widespread, and I'm convinced the gates were reading both watch and card. It may simply be that the lift pass offices haven't got the gadget for loading the watches - the lifts certainly have the means to read them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, the use of Swatch Access in Austrian ski resorts is more and more limited. I do not know the reason. For example, from last season Saalbach and other resorts equipped with hands-free systems did not accept Swatch Access and (s-key) gloves.
latest report
 brian
brian
eng_ch, the gadget doesn't actually do anything to the watch, it just reads the watch's id into the lift access system.

You can buy swatch access online for some places without presenting them with the watch, you just enter the serial number off the back.

eg. Verbier http://www.televerbier.ch/pages/en/pop_up/skipass.htm
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, you can do that for most. But if a resort doesn't have the machine to do it maybe that explains why they don't say it works? Dunno - just speculating. I'm going to try with the Swatch in both Val and Courchevel next year - if you don't ask you don't get Very Happy

Also, presumably if you have a card from one resort it would work for another with the same system too?
ski holidays
Not sure how they work, but Jon caused problems at Mottaret last year when he arrived at the Aroles lift still with a Saalbach card in his pocket. They knew he had two cards.

Oh, and while we are on the subject, can you get them re-activated over the Internet when at home in UK?

snowHead
latest report
eng_ch, I think so. Chris Bish, you can certainly reactivate both the passes and the Swatches on the Serre Chevalier website.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, It appears some just don't want to ....

Mr SkiData wrote:

Dear Mr. b

thanks for your interest.

In general, all Skidata systems of newer generations offer the "technical" possibility to use Swatches.

The other point is, if the ski resorts "want" to use it. We have some ski resorts, that do not offer this possibility to the skiers, because
- the handling at the cash desk is more complicate and needs longer time
- you do not have an optical imprint on the Swatch (at keycards you have photo and ticket data imprint on the data carrier for control purpose !).

This is the reason why some ski resorts do not accept swatches and only work with keycards.
latest report
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, RFID chip in the card/watch.
snow report
brian wrote:
Chris Bish, RFID chip in the card/watch.

My mum's wheely bin has got one of those in it, I wonder if I drag it round the mountains I could use it for the liftpass....
latest report
Quote:

My mum's wheely bin has got one of those in it, I wonder if I drag it round the mountains I could use it for the liftpass....

Probably not, but at least it looks more stylish than a Swatch Laughing Laughing
snow report
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing sounds like a plan!
snow conditions
brian, hmmm. When we first got our snowpass watches a couple of years ago, we went to Serre Che for a week, downloaded our liftpass via the internet, and went off skiing for the week, no photo required. However, when we loaded them up at the liftpass office at Christmas, we needed a photo, which they put onto a small naff card with our name and liftpass number. I understand the need to have the ID for a season pass, but why the difference if I buy one at the kiosk, or on the internet.
snow conditions
So, assuming RFID means radio frequency identification, (please remember I am an English teacher) what happens is that the gates send out some kind of radio signal that identifies the card in its response. This is then instantly checked against the database and says "let him through he has paid" or "no".

In that case the card I have at home must have some sort of identification number on it that will tell the database it is me and that my credit card has had the necessary dent in it.

Is that right?

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, yes, so you can recharge the cards, BUT, some of the older cards we have from Serre Che don't have a number on them. The newer ones do though. They are Keycards, and the lift gates are SkiData.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, spot on ! Very Happy
ski holidays
Chris Bish, good answer

me being somewhat of an eletronics type person would add......

the clever bit about RFID is that the credit card or device does not have its own power. What happens is that the reader (big turnstyle things) has a big coil of wire and the card/watch has a small coil of wire and the process of waving the card/watch in front of the reader powers the device on it to enable the code to be sent and read.

I would be interested to find out if any bog standard rfid device could be used. There is some guy on the internet who wrote about the implanted rfid chip in his hand and how he uses it to open his front door.
snow conditions
daehwons wrote:
There is some guy on the internet who wrote about the implanted rfid chip in his hand and how he uses it to open his front door.

Wasn't he just killed in a car crash?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, every card in existance has a unique number burnt in at manufacture. Assuming the card is of the same type as the ski-lift system, it can be used.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy