Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck - GaPa Christmastime.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Newbie alert, I’m afraid.

I’ve been living in Berlin for five years (originally from the US), but will just be making my first trek to the Alps this winter. I have a few questions and welcome any insights. I’ll start with a brief itinerary:

25 Dec. arrive late in Innsbruck
26 Dec. ski Innsbruck, overnight Innsbruck
27 Dec. ski Seefeld, overnight Grainau (near GaPa)
28 Dec-1 Jan. overnight Grainau; ski GaPa, Tiroler Zugspitze Arena, Mittenwald; Ski Jumping on New Years in GaPa.
2. Jan. depart

I know it isn’t the ideal time or the ideal location, but for a variety of factors (work, significant other), that how it’s turned out. So my questions are:

With only one day to ski in Innsbruck, where should I go? Obviously if the conditions are poor I’ll go to the Stubai glacier, but if conditions are good elsewhere is that still the best skiing? What about Axamer Lizum?

What are the best areas in the Tiroler Zugspitze Arena?

Is GaPa as bad as everyone says? I can’t go all that way and not ski the Zugspitze and Kandahar, but are there any ‘hidden treasures’?

Is the Dammkar in Mittenwald all that it’s cracked up to be? Any secrets?

Anything else I should know?

I’m a solid intermediate skier. I like to challenge myself with black runs, as well, but not all day long. I also like getting off the trail and skiing trees and ungroomed terrain so long as it doesn’t involve falling off anything. My significant other has never skied downhill and will probably spend the week doing cross-country (hence our choice in location).

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone far more knowledgable will be along soon enough, but for now, willkommen to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
ami in berlin, welcome to snowHead s.

I've only been to the Stubaital in summer, so I've walked around Fulpmes and Neustift and skied on the glacier, which is only a small part of a reasonable sized high altitude winter ski area. The lower areas around Neustift and Fulpmes (Schlick 2000) are a fair bit smaller from what I remember.

I think you really need to speak to the locals when you get there. If snow is good high and weather is clear then the glacier area will be great. However, that's way above the treeline, so if weather's poor stick to one of the lower villages.

Lovely part of the world though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ami, I've skied the Stubai on two trips, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen (never seen it abbreviated as GaPa, which is quite neat!) a couple of times. I used to go there after trips to Munich.

The top of the Stubai valley and its glacier are lovely. You've a good day's skiing up there, and the snow will be the best in the region. If the weather's very cold, or visibility is bad, and snow is good on the lower ski areas then switch your plans to ski them - glaciers are not good places to be in a whiteout. Check the forecast carefully on Christmas Day for the 26th.

The best skiing at Garmisch is not on the top (Zugspitze) (though it's well worth seeing). It's flat and quite limited. The skiing on the wooded slopes - Kreuzeck, Osterfelderkopf - has a lot more appeal, so long as there's snow. It's a very pretty area to ski.

If you have any possibility of staying in the Innsbruck area rather than going to Garmisch I'd do it. The high-level skiing at places like St Anton, Ischgl and Solen is a lot better. Garmisch is unreliable for snow, but the best of luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend goes to Innsbruck every year. He says any of the small local areas are large enough to keep an inter amused for a day, if fully open. But that is a big IF at that time of year. So go for the biggest and most reliable, Axamer Lizum, which also has the best off-piste.

If conditions are really poor, the Stubai glacier is a fair old trek from downtown Innsbruck. Depending where you are staying it might even be quicker to get to Kuhtai, which is a similar size to Axamer, more snowsure, and therefore plenty big enough for a day. Assuming you will have a car getting about should be no problem.

Sorry, can't help with GaPa, I've not been.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ami in berlin, Axamer Lizum is fine for a day's skiing. I sometimes go there because a colleague from work lives in Axams ( no he doesn't travel into Munich every day ).
Garmisch is better than it's reputation. The Zugspitze is however not connected to the main ski area in Garmisch. I would only ski on the Zugspitze if they have > 2m of snow and the whole area is open, otherwise if it's just the glacier then it's flat and boring. If the area is completely open then it's one of the best powder bowls I've ever come across! The main Garmisch area ( Hausberg, Kreuzeck & Osterfelderkopf ) have some good pistes for beginners-intermediates, plus some fairly hairy off piste. The valley run on the Kandahar can be great, but you'd better have sharp edges and not be worried by ice. Definitely only for high speed!
The Dammkar is an unpisted touring run. Seven Km long. Only for experts. The conditions in there can vary from absolutely fantastic to absolutely miserable. If you do want to do it then check that the run is open all the way down to the valley otherwise you can end up walking for up to an hour at the end of the run! You get into the Dammkar by taking the Karwendelbahn cable car from the valley and walking 400m through a tunnel to get to the start of the run! I love it, but not always!

Have fun
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ami in berlin, there is some skiing in Innsbruck on the Hungerberg. It's the only ski area I've ever got to by city tram, it's also fasinating to watch planes land at the airport below you. There is also some good skiing at Igls which is nearby, nut Innsbruck is great city justr to visit, so if skiing conditions aren't good then you can always do the tourist thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy