Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you keep in the car?

Poster: A snowHead
Follow on from this thread.

Any suggestions for what we should keep in the car if we're doing a season in resort?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pick-axe handle, sawn-off shotgun, handcuffs/cable ties Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shovel to dig yourself out when the snow-plough clears the car-park by shoving all the snow up against your vehicle. Also useful for digging out idiots who haven't bothered to fit their chains and have slid off the road.

Gloves (waste of time but reassuring, see below)

Head torch

Hand-warmers as youre fingers will get freezing putting chains on and it's almost impossible to do this wearing gloves.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
from the other thread ....

DB wrote:
Equipment = Padded luminous yellow jacket, snow shovel, plastic gloves (thick enough to protect the hands but not too thick otherwise you can't do the fiddly bits), warm hat and an insulted pad to kneel on.

Certain items should be legally carried in the car when in Austria, warning triangle, first aid kid, luminous yellow vest/jacket.

A shovel to dig yourself out and a brush to get the snow off the car are also useful.

On top of that you should really have a 4 season sleeping bag just incase you get stranded overnight. If you are travelling with someone you are physically attracted to then one sleeping bag big enough for the both of you is best Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it possible to make love in a sleeping bag, or does the whole thing fall apart?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand - nice to see you upholding the good traditions of Merseyside!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ben wright wrote:
Shovel to dig yourself out when the snow-plough clears the car-park by shoving all the snow up against your vehicle. ...

I'd argue that it's pointless to keep a shovel IN the car - if the snow plugh puts all the snow up against your car, then you need the shovel out of the car to get to the car.

Other things to have:
Jump leads. (can be left in the car)
Battery charger (take out of the car, or it may well lose its charge in the cold)

Oh, and park the car in gear, but leave the hand brake off.
If the car is parked for a reasonable length of time and the handbrake is on, the rear brakes may rust themselves to the brake pads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, it'd be a very determined snow-plough driver that could surround 3 sides of the vehicle - any of which could provide access to the shovel. Don't think you'd fit a decent shovel in most cars although I carry one in my chick-magnet mini-bus.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For those of you (like me) who don't have a posh car... lock de-icer so you can get in after digging it out ! Don't leave that in the car either rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, "Merseyside" Is that in Essex?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
halfhand, "Merseyside" Is that in Essex?

Don't be stupid, it's about 5km from La Rosiere in the Netherlands.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Got it
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LARGEZOOKEEPER - I presume that you keep SMALLZOOKEEPER in the boot / trunk of the car as a "spare" - so as to speak?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, Yes but only if I get to puncture him first Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I feel deflated! Toofy Grin
snow report
Multi purpose wheel brace, jack, top rope, jump leads, plug in and battery torch, gloves, tool kit, hi viz vest, family pack of Mars bars
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Multi purpose wheel brace, jack, top rope, jump leads, plug in and battery torch, gloves, tool kit, hi viz vest, family pack of Mars bars

Is your car your climbing partner? Shocked
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, are you a sock puppet of SMALLZOOKEEPER, or just a different size of skiboot?
snow report
David Goldsmith, no one up my ar$e mate!!!
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Is your car your climbing partner? Shocked

Maybe it's a narrowboat?
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Good, but do you sleep with SMALLZOOKEEPER in a double sleeping bag in the car?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, Not that I know of but if you give me a minute I'll just check his colon NehNeh
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Last time we travelled together BIGGIE sang to the entire plane! Toofy Grin
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Is it possible to make love in a sleeping bag, or does the whole thing fall apart?

Too many variables to give a firm answer over the internet, best to try it out in the shop before you buy.
ski holidays
A mat to put on the snow just behind/in front of your wheels so that they can get some purchase rather than just spinning on the snow is pretty handy.
snow report
smolo,
Quote:

A mat to put on the snow just behind/in front of your wheels so that they can get some purchase rather than just spinning on the snow is pretty handy.

Shovel to dig out wheels and mats are on my hit list for next time!
ski holidays
fraserp, I've a couple of friends named Mat whom i'd gladly put under the wheels of a car. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

Too many variables to give a firm answer over the internet, best to try it out in the shop before you buy.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really want to have sex in Milletts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
DB wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really want to have sex in Milletts.

You aren't half getting picky in your old age.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
You aren't half getting picky in your old age.

No, it's not that - it's that they didn't like it when he did it last time.

He'd happily do it in Slush & Rubble wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Anyway, can we keep David Goldsmith's sex life out of this please. I've only recently had lunch.
ski holidays
Someone told me to vaseline the rubber seals around the door frame to stop it freezing, it does'nt work (at least not when its minus 10 or colder), I think the idea is possibly sound but far more effective to ensure you don't get snow on the bottom of door sill in the first place, this may seem like a trivial point but for a month I could'nt get into my car until at least 11am on several occasions, the vaseline helped a little but not much (freezing point too high I guess). Good idea to park it out of the wind too, we moved the car once into a colder exposed spot and found the (previously fine) battery stone dead the next morning from the cold overnight. Ditto all the other suggestions not sure if someone has mentioned a tow rope, this is invaluable if you slide off the road it'll mean the next motorist can probably help you as opposed to having to wait for the cavalry. We took one last year simply in case of breakdowns and improved anglo/french relations enourmously by towing several cars out of snowy verge's. Just make sure your car is much heavier than theirs if the other car is pointing down a steep hill !!!
ski holidays
a broom for sweeping snow off windowscreen.
pack of latex gloves (much easier to use for putting snowchains on)
engine oil (I had to replace a car engine in France once due to lack of oil - cost a fortune!!)
snow report
Bolt cutters to cut away tangled mess of mis-fitted snow chains.
I had them one in the car, by pure luck as I hadn'y properly emptied it before driving to the Alps.
I used them for exactly this purpose on some poor souls car in which the snow chains had totally tangled themselves around the front axle.

I know that poor soul could be me next time so if I ever drive out to the Alps again I'll carry some.
ski holidays
A pair of heavy duty rubber gloves for working with the snow chain. A large plastic sheet to sit on and knee down in front of the tyres. A torch for seeing what I am doing.

Fitting snow chain should be done well before one is forced to. This is to allow time to select a nice location, dry, spacious and well away from the traffic. Whistling will help too and the operation should always be conducted in a relax and enjoyable mood.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 28-09-06 21:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rungsp,
Quote:

snow chains had totally tangled themselves around the front axle

thats a very good idea, friends of ours suffered exactly that problem on the way up to us one dark and snowy night after mis fitting their chains
snow report
PhillipStanton, To take this back to a more serious note (not too serious though), I think what we are talking about is what happens if we get into trouble in our car that is getting stuck in bad conditions where our car is a shelter which could mean the difference between life or death (it can happen sometimes). In this sort of case we should make sure that we have warm clothes, bottles of water, and plenty of carbohydrate ie. chocolate, cereal bars etc. A fully charged mobile phone might be useful so long as one can get a signal, and you know the local emergency telephone number!

When driving in winter one should make arrangements for the unexpected and that way you don't get caught out big time. I am no survival expert but perhaps there is someone out there who could recommend a sensible safety pack to be prepared for worst ie. "What Every Driver to the Snow should have.
ski holidays
For those of you (like me) who don't have a posh car... lock de-icer so you can get in after digging it out ! Don't leave that in the car either

thats where chaps and their anatomy can come in useful oh and a full bladder - tried doing but as a girl without much succes and rather un-gainly! NehNeh
ski holidays
How do you clever people get the white box with the quote - tried various things but I guess I'm just seriously technically challanged rolling eyes
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez - the quote above will have been written as:

[quote]snow chains had totally tangled themselves around the front axle [/quote]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy