Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do wearing helmets reduce injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, according to this Norwegian report into safety on the piste.

Did you realise that there are more fatalities in swimming and bicycling. Maybe its just because deaths from high impact crashes in skiing get more publicity?.

News report - here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 12 year old daughter (a good club skier) slowed down as we came over a ridge in Val D'Isere at Easter because a ski school snake was down slope from her. An out of control Frenchman travelling much too fast tried to use the ridge to launch himself higher than my daughter. One of his skis hit her helmet (which cracked) the other glanced on the side of the helmet and took a tooth. She was knocked unconcious and had whiplash. She still races and always wears a helmet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a more detailed version of the same report (I think) here with follow-up discussion here. I must say it is the most persuasive report I have read.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alun Williams, did the authorities catch up with the culprit? Your daughter must be a determined girl and you must have been very worried. I have started wearing a helmet too (a Giro 9) and had lent it to my brother in law, complete beginner, who fell backwards onto his head when a button lift (which he should have got off....) lifted him way off the ground. He had quite severe concussion (very sick, could remember nothing of the crash, vomitted for 15 hours) DESPITE the helmet. The local doctor examined him, was surprised at the extent of the concussion and told us to watch him very carefully, but said he was very unlikely to have serious brain damage as he had been wearing a helmet. The first time I ever wore the helmet, also first time up the button lift on a snowboard, I fell off and got clonked by the next perch. Not a problem, but would have been sore without it. I am a convert. It's comfortable, too - and I have sound pads for superb music sound without sore ears. And nobody can see my grey hair. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine saved me from at least 4 nasty head bruises (and headaches) from chair lift bars last season
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch wrote:
Mine saved me from at least 4 nasty head bruises (and headaches) from chair lift bars last season

Ditto. One time I actually pulled the lift bar down on my own head rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, OK, I wasn't quite that daft! "... and some have chair lift bars thrust upon them" Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When younger, I fractured my skull following a cycling accident, have always worn a helmet for cycling after that!

For skiing I started wearing one when I took up snowboardin', as the learning process for this did lead to the odd backward fall! Has certainly helped me in a few cases where I've fallen and headbutted the piste and fallen off chairlifts and got hit by the chair going over!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I started wearing a helmet after I came ---> this <---- close to some rocks after hitting some cornice debris.

Last season I took a fall from a height of about 20 feet onto my head and left knee (hence why it's currently damaged).

Which reminds me that I should replace that helmet...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Which reminds me that I should replace that helmet...

Yes, I wondered about that. I haven't replaced my helmet - seemed that the knock was what it should have been built to cope with, certainly not a fall from 20 feet (ouch), but maybe I should?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a video on this web page that is well worth watching!
As for me.............I will wear a helmet!

http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm another convert to helmets. Been wearing mine for over 2 years now.

(cue jokes ref Viking helmets, horns, wings and doesn't it smell if you've had it on for 2 years - if you are considering one of these 'witty retorts' please click here for my auto-reply) Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Your comments are so accurate - seeing her on the ground , motionless, were the most desperate few minutes of my life. A ski instructor was with us within seconds with mobile already out and the Securite de Piste arrived within a minute. The evacuation was professional. Details of the Frenchman were taken. My daughter remembers nothing of the event before arriving at hospital - Thank God. She was sick for some hours and the doctor was very attentive and supportive. When he went off duty at 8.00 pm he allowed us to return to our chalet room - he lived less than 100metres from where we were staying and he gave me his mobile number to call should I have any worries. I was instructed to wake her every hour through the night (as a precaution) but he was confident we were now OK. Things were now stable and I remember thinking this service was so like the after hours service we get at home on the NHS !
Next afternoon I went to collect our skis from securite de piste office. The lady at the desk advised me that she had faxed details of "this very serious incident" to the Gendarme and that I should go there to get a progress report which I would need for my insurance company. This was the only criticism I had with the support and help I had received. When I went to the station the Gendarme refused to give me a report and only after I waited for a couple of hours requesting I see a senior officer did I get the culprit's name and address.
To complete the story we claimed on our insurance (Ski Club GB) and received the evac cost and medi centre invoices costs. Curtailment of holiday, damage to helmet etc NOT SO FAR. But returning to the thread..... helmets yes every-time. Her brother is 14 and has just made the Welsh Ski Squad so we are a family of helmet wearers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the price of retail helmets it depends on what you expect from it and on the weight/size of the person wearing it. Younger children as they have less momentum will gain the most protection, however for teenagers and adults a helmet will not protect you from the sort of thing that might make you consider wearing a helmet! Anyone familar with Coire Cas on CairnGorm Mountain has probably at least at some point thought about slaming into a lift tower... Shocked In these type of incidents forget it!

However where there is the strongest case for helmets are in the park, esp when learning to tackle rails where relatively low speed impacts with very solid objects are fairly common place, could save you from a bad dose of concussion or worse. General skiing i wont wear one, I dont particularly like even wearing hats unless the weather absolutely demands it. Am however considering getting a lid for park use for trying to push myself in the park, since I've accepted that there will be no further gain without some pain! Shocked

All things said and done, a real issue I have with the Helmet issue is that some people feel their indistructable with a lid... your not and it's important you realise their limitations, otherwise by wearing a helmet you may have just made yourself more likely to have the sort accident where it wont help.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok I'm convinced.

Deb
ski holidays
Winterhighland, I actually find my helmet more comfortable than a hat - partly because it actually keeps my ears warm and partly because I always used to get a gap between my hat and googles and my fringe froze Confused What was noticeable last season (be interesting to see if the same applies this year) was the difference in helmet habits between Switzerland and France.
latest report
eng_ch, Agreed, Helmets way more comfortable unless temp >0 C. Perhaps US use more than Switzerland, Switzerland use more than France?
ski holidays
Wouldn't be without my helmet. (Giro-9).
Stick the thing on my head first thing in the morning and the thing doesn't need anymore attention until I want to take it off.
It doesn't get frozen up with snow when the weather's bad and hence isn't wet when I want to put it back on after a pit stop.
My goggles are attached to it, so they never get lost.
My head doesn't sweat or itch underneath it.
On one occasion I have banged my head on the snow. I don't think even with out the helmet I would have done any major damage, but I'm also sure it was a lot less sore because I did have the helmet on.
And yes I have had the helmet hit by people bringing the lift bar down on top of my head more times than I've hit my head on the slope!
snow report
Could be the year I invest in one. I see more and more every season.
snow conditions
Canada last year, it looked really weird seeing people skiing without helmets. Everyone had them.
snow report
hibernia, I wear a helmet since a similar experience to PhillipStanton but mine was due to stupidity (I nearly wrecked myself on a piste-side wooden paling fence in Soldeu due to misjudging my speed).

I am now quite used to it and don't have a major prob with heat even skiing in April - just open the "vent" - and make sure not wearing too many clothes generally.

Like others, numerous chair lift bars have been avoided (though I do wonder if the extra inch on the top of your head is part of the cause of the lift bar hitting as I don't remember doing it much before).

I am actually relatively unaware of it and it certainly doesn't make me feel "remote" or safer (and therefore ski faster/more riskily). I notice a much bigger difference swapping from sunglasses to goggles than I do from hat to helmet (not that I wear a hat any more).
latest report
My 11 year old daughter was hit by a ski tow last year in Bansko. Two chipped teeth severe bruising to her chin and knocked to the ground when the tow hooked her from behind. Luckily she was wearing a helmet. Its compulsory in Whistler for ski school and thats why my children wear them whenever and wherever they are skiing. Do i wear one? No but will from this winter on.
snow report
I started wearing one last year. Only got it cos i didn't really know what I wanted for Christmas off chucky.

However after taking a fall on my last ski trip I'm sure it saved me from a nasty injury.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, semi-snap - we only got ours because they didn't cost us real money as we had some bank loyalty vouchers to use up by the end of the year - voila two lids for free.
snow conditions
I'm not a great helmet fan, however I did a fair bit of touring (in Scotland) last season and when you telemarking down prisitine snow slopes with the odd pointy rock just pocking up through the snow, you start thinking about buying a helmet. Interestingly a couple of people I toured with last season had helmets, but only put them on for the downhill bits, they went back in the rucksac for the skinning.
snow report
I'll be trying one for the first time this year courtesy of Fall Line's subscription gift........
snow report
I think I'll get my next helmet from here: http://www.skidlids.co.uk/ . I have a Cebe ripper helmet but it looks kind of daft on me as I have a small head. It makes me look like Brain from Pinky and the Brain. I like the protec helmets as they're quite low profile and pretty cheap too. I think I'll get the Scotty arnold or Danny Kass.
snow conditions
I was one of the first instructors in my region (Ski Welt) to wear one (but not on the nursery slopes) But I bought mine here in UK from a bike/skateboard shop which is not specific to any sport, but looks most like a skateboard helmet. What I like about it most is that my ears are not covered (I use a bike under-helmet hat in the cold) and I think that that's important so that I can hear all around me. Perhaps it's more important for a teacher to hear behind because that's my class, but I think it's important for us all. Also it cost £35 and would appear to be built to the same or as high standard as any ski specific helmet which cost €100 - 140. Ski helmets are not built to as high standard as motorcycle helmets but cost as much or even more!! Keep the standard up and bring the price down and perhaps more will wear lids. I always recomend helmets for everyone. Perhaps Ted Kaufmann would still be around today if only..
Skiday
skiday.co.uk
How do I post a picture Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edmundh009, personally I wouldn't buy a helmet without trying on the actual one I was purchasing.

Whilst trying them on last year in Canada, I found sizes varied enormously even within models. My Giro helmet fits me perfectly - other Giros of the same model and size did not Confused Plus of course different makes fitting different shape heads.
latest report
skiday, register on snowMedia zone and upload a picture there. You can then link to it from here.
snow report
Cathy, I agree - try before you buy.
Thanks re photo, will try later.
Skiday
latest report
I'm a convert to the humble helmet. Does wearing a helmet reduce injuries? I don't know but I dont want to be one of the statistics to prove either way.

It's interesting the number of people who have commented on how they have noticed being clunked by lift bars - I've noticed it too... but the suspiscious side of me thinks did I used to get clunked this much? I suspect the reduced clearance (a couple of centremetres?) may make you more prone to gettng clunked or maybe it reduces your periferal vision Puzzled - either way since I'm wearing a helmet - who cares!

We were eventually persuaded after a visit to Canada - there was probably a 50/50 split and I think the numbers wearing helmets in europe will increase. I have also been spending a lot more time with beginners on greens/blues and the number of people skiing waaaaay beyond their ability has scared me including one very near miss Shocked Its not me I'm worried about, 'tis all them other loons!. The pistes are only getting busier.

Oh dear ...... I feel myself becomming older and sensibler(!?) by the minute... dont the police look young these days ..wibble. Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

I have also been spending a lot more time with beginners on greens/blues and the number of people skiing waaaaay beyond their ability has scared me

Yup, That's why I wear a helmet: a too-close encounter with a wayward boarder.

This to me is the clincher: while a helmet won't necessarily protect you if you go slamming into a tree or lift pylon, you do at least have some measure of control over the speed and direction you're trying to go. You have no control over the speed and direction of the rest of the traffic.
snow report
All this talk about jumping frenchmen has convinced me! I've seen some pretty awful accidents in my time - sadly the victim who comes off worse from collisions is invariably the person who gets hit, so I agree with Acacia.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy