Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with resort choice please!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for (and bearing in mind we would probably be going Jan or early Feb):

Ski-in ski-out
Quiet slopes
Few queues
Good food
Europe
Good for timid intermediates

Many thanks for any help received.

Hannah
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If not been (so I may be wrong here) but I'm considering Champoussin or Les Crosets (Switzerland) for similar reasons, but the quietness of the slopes may be moot - except that as they get apparently crowded from people visiting from the French side, I shgould think that they are quiet enough at the start and end of the day, between which you get the whole of the Porte du Soleil region to explore. As we have absolute beginners too though so we may end up not going there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's quite a broad set of criteria which many resorts would satisfy. I think France offers a higher proportion of ski in/out accommodation, but the downside of this is that many resorts lack the alpine charm that you would find in a traditional village.

Will you be taking ski lessons? If so, you might want to think about what kind of ski school you are looking for (British?).

Resorts I've visited which I think are good for intermediates are Courchevel, Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere, Val Thorens. All of these should offer ski in/out accommodation, be farily quiet in January or the first week of February and have a good selection of places to eat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can only comment on the French resorts I've been to that meet your requirements:

If you are going in Jan Courchevel 1550,1650 and 1850 all meet your requirements (unless price is a major issue). The slopes not going to be dead but I don't think you will have a problem with queues. Ski in and out could be pricey in 1850. My favourite resort and if there are better skiers with you there is a range of skiing to keep everyone happy

La Plagne will meet most of the requirements (good food-others may need to give you their tips)

Alpe D'huez may also meet most.

Other resorts I haven't been to but would like to try include Villars (switzerland), Megeve (ski in/out likely to be expensive). Les Arcs, Crans Montana (switzerland) (ski in/out likely to be expensive).

I think I could be tempted by some of the Italian resorts but I've no experience to fall back on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plan Peisey could be a good one too (or do you count that as Les Arcs?)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky wrote:

I count that as Les Arcs. I think all of the Les Arc villages more or less meet Hannah's requirments.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hannah - I think most resorts, except Chamonix, could meet your requirements.

If you're a "timid intermediate" then it might be best to choose an British ski school and book around that - www.britishskischool.com is one, but there are others.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
skanky wrote:

I count that as Les Arcs. I think all of the Les Arc villages more or less meet Hannah's requirments.

Yeah thought so, I just thought it worth mentioning as a Les Arcs search may miss it out. What's that restaurant just above Arcs 2000 (on the ski slope)? There was some great food there.

The Italian resorts I know are a bit short on ski-in-ski-out. The only Cervinia accommodation that I know that is siso someone said the food was awful - but there are some good restaurants in town. The best resort food I've eaten was the (not cheap) Maison du Philipo (sp?) in Courmayeur, but that is not siso, and you only get quiet slopes at certain times.

Actually, Pila has siso accommodation and some very good intermediate runs (mixture of above and below tree-line skiing). It's not huge and not especially snow sure, but if you're going late Jan/Feb it should be okay. You also avoid the need to worry about half term if you don't go to France (though I'm sure there are French resorts where that's also the case).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky wrote:
What's that restaurant just above Arcs 2000 (on the ski slope)? There was some great food there.

Chalet de L'Arc. It's very nice. As it bakes it's own bread apparently it is the highest bakery in Europe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, that's the one. The only downside was that it was permanently busy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, that's the one. The only downside was that it was permanently busy.

It's very popular, deservedly so. Make a reservation or eat early is the best advice there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hannah, la rosiere would fit the bill on just about every count apart from ski in-ski out, there are only a few chalets and one hotel with that facility. It is very good for beginners/intermediates and slopes aren't crowded. Maybe we can tempt you, have alook at our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for more details, on the gallery you'll see some photos of how empty the psites can be. We've got some great deals for Jan/early Feb and you can see some comments on our guestbook about the quality of our food and wine.
La Rosiere is also super value, the lift pass is a lot less than the mega stations nearby, there's over 150kms of pistes and skiing in France and Italy.
snow report
 brian
brian
Hannah, how many people ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax wrote:
... the lift pass is a lot less than the mega stations nearby

€37.50 to be precise (equal to just over £4.17 a day), if compared to Les Arcs, the closest of the nearby megastations.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton wrote:

If you're a "timid intermediate" then it might be best to choose an British ski school and book around that - www.britishskischool.com is one, but there are others.

I would be wary of Val d'sere and Tignes great skiing not necessarily suited to the nervous intermediate
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
I would be wary of Val d'sere and Tignes great skiing not necessarily suited to the nervous intermediate

Agree, 100%. I like Val d'Isere a lot, but I think not up to much for nervous intermediates.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:

Fair comment dan100.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
dan100 wrote:

Agree, 100%. I like Val d'Isere a lot, but I think not up to much for nervous intermediates.

Yeah especially the run(s) back to the town (even if we were staying slopeside at the time).
snow report
brian wrote:
Hannah, how many people ?

Only two (adults).

Hannah
latest report
Hannah, get an early in the week private lesson. It does wonders for confidence and is a bit like ski guiding at the same time.
snow report
Hannah, We could help you in our ski in ski out chalet in Alpe D'Huez. Think we cover all of your criteria and always give special discounts to snowheads. For more information please see our website www.skialacarte.co.uk and feel free to contact me either by PM or email if you would like a quote Very Happy
ski holidays
katski - the food on the right-hand piccy looks nice!
snow report
PhillipStanton, Thanks!
snow report
Id say Livigno in this case just because it is Intermediate sking (no more no less) with fantastic Italian food, cheap shopping (tax free zone) and a nice village (even though its kind of long).

Tex
ski holidays
Hannah

I can't testify to Katski's establishment though it looks nice but I can say that these chalets are genuinely ski in ski out. They are relatively new. The only downside is that they would be a few minutes trek into the centre of Alp d'huez. Other than the slope off the very top of the glacier most of the skiing in Alp D'Huez should suit.

Dan
snow report
Another great resort is Ischgl.

Its also well suited for Intermediates and a very nice village.

Food is my other big passion in life so Ill always be biased to Itally when we are talking food but the austrian food is good as well. Thing is that I do find food in french skiing resorts quite bad. Its a touristicaly comersialized over priced rape of the french kitchen. In Austrian ski resorts I find the food much more authentic and well made which imho results in a bigger cullinary experience even though the real french kitchen might be better then the austrian.

But if food is a part of the equation I would definatly just scratch everything but italy.

Tex
snow report
katski, I see you include flights in the costs. Would you cater for independent travel (e.g. train)?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hannah, La Rosiere for you, perefect. There is an offer above but if ski in/out is required then try http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/larosiere-planicas.html

Ski Olympic are great, the food is generally excellent and the chalet complex is one of the best I have visited. Georgeous pool and leisure.
It ticks every box.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dan100 wrote:
The only downside is that they would be a few minutes trek into the centre of Alp d'huez.

To be fair, it's very hard to be both ski-in ski-out and convenient for the centre of a resort.
ski holidays
Hannah,
I don't disagree with any of the resorts above.
But one fairly big factor in how a timid intermediate finds the skiing is the snow quality. Bone hard icy pistes can be intimidating, occasionally in Jan Feb there can be prolonged spells of clear cold weather when the pistes get very hard, there are often very different conditions in different areas though.

If there are just the two of you you have the opportunity to wait untill shortly before you go and find out where the best snow is and then see how these resorts meet up with your other expectations. You will always be able to find accommodation and often at a knock down price, the only real drawback from your list of requirements is that the most popular ski in ski out accomodation may have sold out.

If you want another resort selection Oberlech above Lech has great hotels that are genuinely ski in ski out and the ones I have eaten in have been good. There are superb easy runs to Oberlech and the snow record is excellent. The only real drawback is that they are not cheap.
latest report
Hannah, PM me if you would like to know more about Plan Peisey in Les Arcs. Seems to fit your requirements as it is right in the middle of the Les Arcs / La Plagne area called Paradiski, and as I live there I can advise you on the accommodation available in the village etc etc.
Or you could email me on will@plan-peisey-accommodation.co.uk, my free accommodation service for the village.

I'll leave it at that, for fear of accusations of doing a "Rosiere"!! Very Happy
ski holidays
One plus point for courchevel in view of Tbar's comments is that the pisting in Courchevel is of a high standard. IF you go in Janaury I think you will find availiability and deals in most resorts and can follow the snow
snow report
skanky, Yes - independent travel no problem. Nearest station is Grenoble which is about an hours drive away and happy to arrange a transfer from there Very Happy
latest report
katski, okay thanks. Another one for the list. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for your ideas - certainly food for thought!
If I left it until a bit more last minute, would it be possible to book up a private lesson or two? I am actually on snowblades but I am the timid intermediate (just can't seem to get over my fear of falling over and hurting myself which is why I can't seem to go very fast or advance). My husband is a boarder but I am slightly holding him back because he has to wait for me all the time!
snow report
Hannah wrote:
If I left it until a bit more last minute, would it be possible to book up a private lesson or two?

Yes, you should be able to book a private lesson or two if you leave it until much later to book, including not booking until you get to your resort. The only possible danger is that you will have to wait until later in the week for your lessons as the slots at the beginning of the week tend to be those which get booked first. Getting lessons is a good way to move from being a timid intermediate to a confident intermediate! Good luck with your improvement Smile

If you know for certain that you will want a couple of private lessons I don't think there is any advantage to waiting before you book. I don't think I've ever seen a ski school discount its prices for 'lastminute bookings'.
snow report
Thanks Rob for that, I think I need a few lessons!

I meant waiting until more last minute to book the holiday, not the lessons.
snow conditions
Hannah wrote:
I meant waiting until more last minute to book the holiday, not the lessons.

Sorry - it's a bit too early for my brain to be working Embarassed

You're going at a fairly quiet time of the season, and there's just the two of you so you probably will be able to get a lastminute booking and perhaps save some of the money. There have been a couple of threads recently which discuss people's last minute booking experiences, so you might want to take a look at those. The main drawback of booking late is that if you have specific requirements, like choice of resort, choice of departure airport, etc, you might find it difficult to get exactly what you want. If you're flexible in what you end up with you should be able to get a good deal, especially if you go in the second or third week of January (the quiestest time of the season).
ski holidays
I agree with Rob but you have a fair number of good choices above and nobody seems to have popped up with Swiss or Austrian choices. That gives you a fair amount fo flexibility unless you want to fly from a regional airport. There always seems to be avail from Gatwick or Manchester
latest report
Quote:
nobody seems to have popped up with Swiss or Austrian choices

I mentioned at least one Swiss one. wink

On the lessons side of things, when we went to Les Arcs in January, a number of us booked separate private lessons on arrival in the resort and all of us got second or third day slots (most of us wanted second or third day slots).

On the last minute booking side, you may want to select a general area, and book your transport earlier, then select the resort nearer the time. But as Rob says, look at those other threads first, as they have some very useful infor and advice in them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy