Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

metron b5 v m11b5vk2 apache recon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a confident piste skier and can pretty much cope with anything the piste can throw at me,love moguls and trees and divide my time 80% on piste 20% offpiste mainly due to lack off opportunity and coinciding my ski trips with the snow gods.I am used to skiing slightly'old school' ,i learnt to ski in 1979 and pretty much every year for 10/15 years until kids came along and spoilt the fun.Anyway the kids are now skiing and starting to catch me up fast so I thought I needed to upgrade my rossi b2's,a good ski but IMHO dont perform that brilliantly on the hard pack and ice and seem a unstable and flappy at speed.
Having read a bit from SPYDERJON and how he thinks the proper b5 is the dogs do dahs he is starting to subliminally hypnotise me into buying a pair?Are the m11b5's a bit of a compromise or would they perform better in the bumps having a bit more flex ?
I am 1.80m and 13.2stone and would like to do a little more off piste so I suppose am looking like many others for the ultimate one quiver ski one that will help a bit off piste but still give me the egde to edge control and shorter turn radius on the piste,but one that I can get a good few seasons out of as I learn a bit more about off piste .

The other consideration is cost I can get last years B5 @162 for about £350 and the M11b5@170+is around £399 and EB in manchester have clean 05/06ex demo apache recons@170 for around£250.
I am going to do a couple of warren smith courses at CAS next monday so maybe should try and demo the M11B5 as I dont think they are stocking the proper B5's? Will EB let me have them for the whole 3 hrs?
any other suggestions would be appreciated

hedley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hedley, demo, demo, demo . . . Atomic skis suit my way of riding and I love my SX10s, other people loath them. I took a punt and bought on magazine tales and a serious discount . . . I was lucky but I'll not do the same again. I tried the M11B5 at Cas and they were GRAND Madeye-Smiley, but those big spoons on the nose do mean that you need to drive them as they respond quickly to lumps and bumps, I crossed tips several times and was lucky not to eat crust more than once.

You're tall and light, I'm short and heavy, these things affect ski/board dynamics so demo, demo, demo, 'cos the forces I put into a ski are probably very different than those that you will induce so my ramblings, like most are of limited value at best.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hedley, if you do decide to go for the B5 I will be selling a pair later this year when I bring them back from France. More details in this thread.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley,

Can't comment on the B5 but I've tried the Recon and it is quite a smooth ski. IIRC the sizing of the ski is 174 and 181 and I'd go to the 181 to take everywhere. Of course, if you ski mostly off-piste then there are better skis in that domain than the Recon but for a few jaunts then 174 and 13 st is too short IMV.
I'm the same weight and over 6ft and I've skied a lot, and 181 is the lenght I'd say. If you do mostly piste work but do not want a Race type ski, the Recon is a good choice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hedley, The Recon is a very good ski but I personally find it pretty damp & boring - & it's certainly a long way behind the Metron for piste use. Masque is right in that if you either love the 'kick in the a$$' from the top end Atomics or you don't. If you do then Rob's price for his B5's is a cracking deal & they're the right length for you.

I'm hoping to make Warren's session next Mon at Castleford so you're welcome to have a spin on my B5's if you wish. The M11B5's are great & they are softer than the B5's which would make them slightly easier in bumps. They're certainly are more suited to an 'old school' style but Warren will soon sort than out for you wink. I haven't yet seen the Metron length chart for the M11B5 but the chart really does work so ski the length that it suggests & if you're a 'tweener' go shorter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, thanks for the offer ,maybe I will see you there?At least I will be able to recognise you by your skis!!!!
As masque said I shall have to give them all a spin and go from there.
anyone ever purchased skis from the conrad shop in germany as they consistently seem to be competative on prices
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hedley, I've bought from Sport Conrad & so have a few of my buddies. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hated the B5, love the M11 B5 and here the Recon is a great ski too (I came close to buying an pair today as a backup).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the last two seasons I've had the Recon and found it a good allround ski that will take me anywhere I want to go, and can ski all day no problem, whether on piste, off, free skiing, or teaching.

Mid last season, I spent a day demoing various skis, including Atomic's B5 and (last years) M11. The B5 I found a very demanding ski: you had to ski it technically correctly otherwise it would try to throw you, and wasn't convinced it was a ski I could ski day in, day out for a couple of weeks. The M11 required a somewhat less effort and was great fun with that shape.

Just before Easter I ended up buying (cheap!) a pair of M11B5s, and spent a week in Switzerland on them. And then Wednesday this week, at the Lockwoods ski test at the Snowdome, I skied the M11B5 and the Recon (and many other skis) back-to-back, and remain convinced that I made the right choice: both are great all-mountain skis, but the M11B5 is more lively.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:
......The B5 I found a very demanding ski: you had to ski it technically correctly otherwise it would try to throw you, and wasn't convinced it was a ski I could ski day in, day out for a couple of weeks

You're obviously not fat enough. Eat more pies & re-test wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, spyderjon, I ski on the Metron B5. Granted I ski on Michigan Groomers, but I've skied on it from 9 AM til 9 PM frequently. I can't imagine it being too damanding. It was a concern of mine when I was biting the bullett to purchase it but its' my main ski and I spend most of my time Grinning ear to ear. (other than my lazy inside leg, but I'm working on that)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you ski 'old school', then I cannot imagine you getting along with the Metrons, which I think demand a modern carving technique.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy