Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Christmas Experience

Poster: A snowHead
The family fancy a 'snowy' christmas this year and it is down to me to try and deliver. Fingers crossed most resorts should have some cover by the 23/12, however finding somewhere to stay that will tick all the boxes is tricky, can anyone help/suggest to answer these questions:

- hotel/catered chalet that will have facilities to amuse kids if they get too cold on the slopes
- as above that has some christmas atmosphere, we don't know quite what to expect having never done before at Christmas
- all counties considered, we are driving and have 8-9 days so we are in no real rush
- if we do end up self-catering, what are the typical opening hours of the big supermarkets in the holiday period?
- how do we arrange Santa to deliver to a different address?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved

Lisa
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lisach wrote:
The family fancy a 'snowy' christmas this year and it is down to me to try and deliver. Fingers crossed most resorts should have some cover by the 23/12, however finding somewhere to stay that will tick all the boxes is tricky, can anyone help/suggest to answer these questions:

- hotel/catered chalet that will have facilities to amuse kids if they get too cold on the slopes
- as above that has some christmas atmosphere, we don't know quite what to expect having never done before at Christmas

Simon Butler Skiing in Megève, France meets these criteria. I've been at New Year rather than Christmas, but it's certainly festive and great for kids. Megève is a lovely village too, with evening pony and trap rides a big hit for the kids!
Quote:
- all counties considered

I'd steer clear of Norfolk!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lisach, I'm not going to be any help on this particular request, but I do remember a panic post from you last winter when you were just about to set off and there were huge drifts blocking the roads and you were worried about actually getting to your resort. You left us all (well, me at least) wondering whether or not you actually made it.

The question I ask myself, is why do I remember that, when I can't remember where I left my car keys or what I did yesterday Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lisach,

Depends where you go ...

Don't expect Xmas to be the same as at home... and if you want that then make arrangements yourself. The lifts close down on Xmas eve around 2pm, IRCC, but work all day Xmas day, in some places in Austria. I get the impression that Xmas in the alpes is more family and religous and not so much the commercial thing it is here...so a bit more low key to the eye, I'd say.

In France, new year is not so much getting hammered in the pubs, they all congregate in the Sq and throw champagne bottles after toasting the new year in...!!

However if you go with a Brit chalet, maybe they will do Xmas like at home. Maybe some of our chalet ops here will tell you what to expect
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lisach, Not a chalet and can't help re the kids (ours are all teens) but we stayed at the Hotel Mercure in Val D'isere last from Dec 19th to 26th. Val was great, very 'festive' and despite the slightly 'thin' snow cover skiing was fine because of all the snowmaking on the lower slopes. The hotel was very comfortable with great food. Re Christmas, they do an excellent gala dinner Xmas Eve, but the 25th is 'just another skiing day' we had Fondue for Xmas lunch (and lots of Genepi) at Val Claret - it was one of the best Christmas days I have ever spent! Lifts didn't close early on Xmas eve, but the apres did kick off early, particularly in the Grand Marnier bar, when Pancakes and Grand Marnier were delicious, and the shots of GM were only 1.50 for a double. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lisach, we've gone skiing as a family at Christmas for years. When the boys were quite small, we told them that as long as they were good, Santa would know where they were!

We've been all over the place, Val d'Isere (which was very cold), Morzine/Les Gets a few times, Andorra, Mayrhofen, Megeve, Val Thorens (where it rained on Christmas Day), Saalbach/Hinterglemm twice, Ischgl this year (hope it'll be lovely).

The big celebration is Christmas Eve. Everywhere we've been has put on a firework display and Santa arrives and hands out little gifts to the children. It's quite magical. Christmas Day is very quiet on the mountains, a lovely time to ski, especially when you think of everyone back home eating too much and getting bored.

We've stayed in self catering apartments, chalets and hotels and always had a brilliant time. You don't say how old your children are, but we've never had a problem keeping ours entertained.

I think Austria has the best atmosphere overall, probably because it tends to be more 'villagey' and all the trees and buildings are lit up with fairy lights, but it might be a bit too far if you're driving.

Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll all love it and will probably never spend another Christmas at home Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being an only child and not having any children myself, christmas was always fairly quiet event. We do however try and get away in the land of snow, either Norway or France. I think it is a great time to get away especially with the kids, niece and nephew in case of Norway and friends family in France. I do not recall the lifts closing early christmas eve anytime I was away.

As RachelQ, said xmas day itself with unusual lunch of Goulash soup or crepes is very different, memorable none the less. You do not notice that it is a special day back home just another day on the slopes. When you are carving those turns, they are at home carving the turkey!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, a few answers! Ray Zorro, in the end I bottled it!! We spoke to the Hotel and they said that it would 36 hours at least until the road would re-open. Given it was a short trip we decided to let the flights go and went a few weeks later. The hotel didn't charge, they were insured.

laundryman, thanks, we went in that direction in April and its on the list again!

JT, "religous and not so much the commercial thing", that is exactly what we are after! Christmas has turned out to be a very pressured occasion in recent years and we want to do something completely different - other than Santa!

AxsMan, thanks, will look at that.

RachelQ, thanks. We like Austria although the lack of 'Greens' for the kids does worry me just a little.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lisach, I'll PM you some details of our chalet in Alpe D'Huez over the Chirstmas period. We always give great discounts to snowheads! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about visiting santa and skiing as well ?
try here - note that you can have 'dinner with Santa' over Christmas. CHRISTMAS
Other operators also go to this area, its just that I knew of this one. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My mate did the Levi one above last christmas (Not sure it was with Inghams but similar) and they loved it.
Complete with elves & reindeer on check-in at Manchester airport! - and they didn't tell the kids beforehand - ahhh... Smile
(They don't actually ski so just did the snow-shoeing, dog-sledding & holiday stuff)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lisach, in recent years the Swiss hotels (that deal with the brits) have been getting into the Christmas spirit, decorations including tree (sometimes more than one) all set up, plus special dinners on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Family run places seem to be better than chains and don't mind the kids running arround as much.

When I was taken out as a child my parents would bring some smaller presents with me but anything big was left at home, if you're driving it's not as bad as you have no luggage restrictions, but leave anything behind that they can't play with like games for the PC etc.

Resort shops will probably only be shut on Christmas and New Years days otherwise they will run as normal, lifts in Wengen do normal hours but ski teachers get new years day off.

In Wengen they have a lovely English church where they hold services and sing carols.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here are some Xmas experience

Are in Sweden, Oppdah, Geilo and Hemsedel in Norway - Great atmosphere, poor snow in one year but the Swedish resort let us ski for free for 3 days until there was enough snow to open a sufficient number of runs. Self catering fantastic, no problem with shopping. Downside is Scandinavians close 0.5 to 1 hour earlier than the Alps. Also it can be really cold. I mean ideally you need heated soles in the boots.

Zell am See/Kaprun/Saalbach/Hinterglemm in Austria - Stayed in Zell am See B&B and ate out every evening. Austria is highly recommended for Xmas because the atmosphere is first class. Plenty of drinking in the open in Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Facilities are good everywhere.

Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil - Worst Christmas ever. Stayed in a hotel in Monthey and every shop, bar and restaurant closed Xmas evening. Drove like a mad man up and down the Swiss motherway only to find even the service restaurants opened "half day"! Ending up chewing cold and rock hard sandich (grab from petrol filling station as last resort) with Mrs Saikee in the hotel room to celebrate Xmas. Give Switzerland a miss if it is Xmas time.

Whistler in Canada - Stayed in hotel off resort in a group of 8. Food is no problem anywhere in BC of Canada. Great atmosphere.

Chamonix, Bourg St Maurice in France - Self catering mainly but French hypermarkets are available and open long hours. Cheapest as well if one books early. I took PG's studio flat in BSM and paid 300 Euro for the Xmas week and only 160 Euro the week following for 2 of us.

At the beginning of the season the snow is stoney. Skiers with car can track down good snow. Austria has good snow record but I would look into Boug St Maurice too becuase there must be good snow to be found within the Tarentaise 1600km piste domain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had no problems with restaurants ans shops over Christmas last year, although the village one was only open for a few hours. All the restaurants were open both Christams Eve and Xmas day. Have a celebratory meal Xmas Eve, ski Xmas day, and have lunch on the mountain somewhere nice. I cooked our first meal in our apartment in the evening, but there were restaurants open .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's not been any sign of shops/restaurants/lifts closing early where we are. The local supermarket (which uses any excuse to shut) was open on Christmas Eve until 7PM and the same on Christmas Day. Likewise, the restaurants were all open but quiet in the evening on Christmas Day as that's not the main day.

I'm sure wherever you end up the tourist office will lay on something. Where we are, for the last 3 years it's been Pere Noel arriving by parachute (very traditional) and then parading around in a horse-drawn carriage dispensing sweets. There's some 'animation' as well but we've not gone to that.

You'd probably be best off in an establishment run/used by a UK operator although you might have to choose carefully to get the balance right between having a few nice Christmassy touches and rampant office party antics although I suspect that most of Brits that go skiing for Christmas are families.

I don't know what other chalets do but we bought presents for the guests - DVDs or board games for the kids and local stuff like wine or olive oil for the parents - so I wouldn't be surprised if you got this at most places.
latest report
Thanks again to all. Having considered this further it appears my girls want to be at home on the big day, but are more than willing to ski from the 26th onwards! Seems ferries are still available at a reasonable cost however where on earth can I expect to pick up somewhere to stay Tuesday to Monday/Tuesday bearing in the mind the New Year. Is this an impossible dream!?
snow report
Lisach -

you might be able to get something in Les Arcs 1950 - I know they have a major conference in over that period, but its not occupying more than few days, so coupled with the holiday period, they are offering some slightly off-the-wall deals to fill up the days around it.

Sorry I can't be more precise, having a brain fade this evening..

Try HMC or Radisson directly rather than going through the TOs.
latest report
lisach, The Mercure at Val D take bookings from any day to any day (we did Tuesday to Tuesday last year). This was the main reason we chose it as most French hotels insist on 7 days, Sat to Sat.

Hotel info here

It's worth speaking to them on the phone (they speak English!) as they can be more flexible than their website.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy