Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing whilst sporting a beard - Good idea or bad idea?

Poster: A snowHead
Having just recently cultivated a full set (not quite the Grizzly Adams look... yet - give it another few weeks tho'!) , I was wondering - will skiing with a hairy face

a) keep me warmer because of the insulation? or

b) make it colder because of the real possibility of trapped ice and snow close to the skin?

IE - Irrespective of the views of the fashion police / my daughter, should I shave before I hit the mountains?

PS speed isn't an issue here...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jim, what's your beard made of?

Click to enlarge
Photo: www.prolixium.com/snowirrel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Jim, what's your beard made of?

Very Happy Very Happy

Whatever it is that the face sprouts of its own accord - whic frankly could be anything depending on the individual

When I get the hang of this interweb thingy I'll post 'before' and 'after' photos.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimW My SO gets a frosted beard on foggy days :

BTW this isn't my SO Shocked

I just liked the picture Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW,

Not sure about the thermal qualities of the beard, but advantages of sporting a beard are no time wasted shaving in the morning and no wind burn on the skin which you've just shaved. It used to be fun getting a lift pass photo sporting a beard, goggles and hat - alas, 'Hands-free' passes now deprive of this simple pleasure..... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW, definitely keeps you warmer, especially with a scarf over it. wind burn is eliminated. It doesn't need to be a soup strainer to be effective and unless you're a drooler it doesn't ice up in the conditions most of us play in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay - this is where I bring down a sh!tstorm.

Skiing - good idea

Beard - bad idea

personal opinion... I'll get my coat...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ermine?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, Laughing Laughing

Glad you clarified the pic for us wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque,

So what you're saying is drooling is out...

Shame, I was just enjoying the thought of DMs lycra-clad eye-candy from t'other thread.

stoatsbrother, So, not into beards then I take it. Oh well, takes all sorts.

IncogSkiSno, I lurrv that piccy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimW, you've obviously looked into this, because if speed isn't an issue, you should be fine. Unless of course you're ginger, in which case you have a serious problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimW, works for me.

If even you get thirsty, saves having problems with hydration systems.

I suspect a faceplant may have been involved sometime prior to this - no can't have been that, so definitely absolutely just a seriously deep powder field Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I rather favour the "no shaving on tour " approach, to be flexed in the second week to "shaving allowed but only to create novelty goatee" rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski wrote:
JimW, you've obviously looked into this, because if speed isn't an issue, you should be fine. Unless of course you're ginger, in which case you have a serious problem.

That sounds like 'gingerism' to me. Is that politically incorrect yet ? If not, why not ?

Red haired women can look very nice (no facial hair) but they are considered 'unlucky' in some parts.
latest report
GrahamN, is it me, or had you face-planted a few minutes before that?
snow report
No snow in my beard in Canada (maybe a few crumbs and mustard!) snowHead
latest report
From an aesthetic point of view skiing, or doing anything else, while wearing a beard is a no-no, even for blokes.

I have had a beard for yonks, and it gets iced up sometimes when skiing, but that doesn't seem to make me cold. I assume that the snow/ice as well as the fur itself acts as insulation.
latest report
It's okay if you are Peter Sutcliffe....or similar
snow report

Beards *rock*, 100% of fact

Every man should grow a beard at come point, even if only to confirm that it's not what they want

(clicky makey bigger-er)
snow report
nbt, call THAT a beard rolling eyes I were born w'more than that on m'butt . . . and these days there's more in m'ears!
snow report
Nickski wrote:

Hmmm, another snowHead thinks I have a red beard, so then, Nickski do you mean that I have a serious problem?

Maybe we shall find time to get to the bottom of your prejudice at the PSB Twisted Evil

edit:
Just checked the PSB thread and I was thinking of the wrong Nick. Our meeting will have to wait...
snow report
Obviously an excellent idea wink

snow conditions
Odin wrote:
No snow in my beard in Canada (maybe a few crumbs and mustard!) snowHead

Saving those for the chairlift later were you?

Ray Zorro - It's red ! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Can we score them? Toofy Grin
latest report
For some reason beards seem to have a slighty unnatural look to me. Sure those last two aren't just drawn on? NehNeh
snow conditions
cathy Laughing You start the ball rolling then Toofy Grin

I am not fussed either way, but if a bloke has a beard it really must be cropped short, no out of contol long hairs eewww!!! Confused

Frosty the Snowman, You're sporting the mean and moody look there wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
nbt, call THAT a beard rolling eyes I were born w'more than that on m'butt . . . and these days there's more in m'ears!

one of the many reasons I've now shaved it off. Still, that's another comment in support of my theory that men don't actually go bald, it's just that hair sinks - and starts growing out of noses, ears, shoulders, back...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, You're sporting the mean and moody look there wink

They are called jowls Sad Embarassed
snow report
Clearly not a great marker for style however:
latest report
Never had a beard, but remember first skiing holiday when I had a moustache and temp was -20. I kept thinking that the jam from my breakfast croissant had not all made its way into the desired location until I realised that it was a mixutre of icicles caused by breathing out through my nose and snot from my eyes watering in the wind-chill.
Yeeuucch.
I do tend to follow fatbob's approach to shaving on holiday though.
snow conditions
I will be unveiling my tribute to FTS at the EoSB...
snow conditions
I like the beard thing while skiing. I like the little icicles that form on it. So much fun to pull them off when on the chairlift. Also, it gives you the added benefit of looking like a grizzled mountain man, or something like that.
snow conditions
You had better be a good skier if you are going to sport a beard, as he just said:

DarkSummer wrote:
it gives you the added benefit of looking like a grizzled mountain man, or something like that.

If you ski like a twerp....get the razor out!
latest report
If you do go the bearded route then watch out for fluffy red neckwarmers - when you take it off all the little red bits means you end up looking like you faceplanted a rock!

Of course they're good for hiding *real* blood and split lips Smile

And the not shaving thing is good too - unless you go for a full Robinson Crusoe you still need to shave - but you can get away without.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy