Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kopaonik, Serbia

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Kopaonok in Serbia on the 21st of January.

Anyone know what the record for snow is like over there?

I've seen Stev's picture gallery and it always seems to be ok, but has he just gone when the snow has been good or is it always good?

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Kapaonik January 1990

Don't worry no snow, I'm sure there must be better years Laughing snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda,
January 1990 was awful everywhere, main run from Grande Motte was closed, were there any worse years?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ouch!!! Dont want a repeat of 1990!!

Might end up with a good few scrathes and scrapes on my ski's!!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
no_snow_in_swindon, or should we say no_snow_in_kapaonik I'd take your walking boots too Laughing

I'm sure it'll be fine. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The snow was very late arriving that year, althougth from what I can remember I had a terrific time in Courchevel in February 1990. Fortunately years like that are not that common.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interestingly, there's a person on the chair lift... Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, he's off to rake the bunkers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill wrote:
PhillipStanton, he's off to rake the bunkers.

Ah, that'll explain it.

I presume that Yoda doesn't need snow / skis anyway as, presumably, he just yogicly meditate his way down the slopes anyway...?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mad

This has to be the most depressing new year (rosh hashanah; in jew years its 5767) I've ever had, I'm on the same flight as no_snow_in_swindon and that photograph has put me in right a foul mood Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, of course there is someone on the lift (single person chair btw)- we were skiing after all Toofy Grin

although I think the guy in the red jacket has had enough Sad

-JC-, never mind, on the morning we left it snowed so much they crashed our bus rolling eyes

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 24-09-06 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda wrote:
-JC-, never mind, on the morning we left it snowed so much they crashed our bus rolling eyes

Now that just takes the biscuit, what a week Shocked rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lol yoda you're really talking up this holiday no snow and coach crashes.

I should of booked Zermatt.

Were these photo's taken at the beginning or the end of January? It's not too late for me to change my holiday to a snow sure resort Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
-JC-, it's so long ago even I can't remember the exact dates Confused I do remember the drive to Gatwick - snow on the M4 near Membury almost finished us off before we started the holiday. Then we arrived to the snow conditions you see in the pics (there were actually some strips of skiable snow dotted around). Food in the hotel was, shall we say, interesting Shocked and beer in the resort was not as cheap as chips as we had been led to believe. In fact chips weren't cheap either. I managed to slip on the ice coming out of a bar and ended up with a stiff neck and haematomas? on both elbows - big black things like hard boiled eggs. Hurt like hell but I kept skiing.

I did meet an interesting guy called Sergei who was a maths lecturer in Moscow and ski instructor in his other life, he was there with another Russian and they were both pretty hot skiers. Never found out what happened to them afterwards (this was before Perestroika etc. of course).

I'm sure things will be much improved now.... Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda if there was a "screw you" smilie I'd use it Wink

I'm now getting the same nervous feeling that I get when I go to the dentist Very Happy
latest report
Dont worry about it mate.

We'll get there and it'll be under 5 foot of snow and the skiing conditions will be out of this world!!!!! snowHead
latest report
Yoda, Any chance of a link to view the rest of your pics from that holiday?
snow conditions
Yoda, I was in Kopaonik during Jan 1990. I’ve never known worse snow conditions on any other trip.

There was only one run open, a short blue not far from the resort centre. Bulldozers and dumper trucks were being used to move snow from wherever it could be found in order to keep this single slope going. This piste was monopolised by the ski school. If you weren’t in a lesson you’d queue for hours to ski a few hundred metres.

However, our first child was conceived while we were there, so the ex-wife an I must have found something else to occupy our time!
snow report
Yoda, I was also in Kopaonik in 1989 when the snow was good and the beer was cheap. The Yugoslav Dinar was devalued by 10x between 89 and 90 due to hiper-inflation and the value for money was cr@p in 1990 by comparison. Unfortunately, they hadn't replaced all the bank notes so some 1,000 dinar notes were worth 1,000 and some were worth 10,000 - and vice-verca. Confusing or what?

Food ? OMG(as my kids say). In 1990 it was reasonable as we stayed in the top-notch Hotel Grand. In 89 we were resident in the Hotel Caravan and enjoyed eating gristle stew most nights. On our penultimate night we had a traditional Serbian meal in a restaurant 1/2 way up the mountain. It was great fun sliding in bin bags back to the hotel. But not so good when I woke up with food poisoning. I still had the trots when we set off back to Belgrade airport 24 hrs later(a 4hour+ coach trip).

Memories eh? But it was still a lot cheaper than the rest of Europe.
snow conditions
rjwagstaff, hah sounds like you had fun as well! I shall put more pics up on the snowMedia zone when I get a chance Laughing
latest report
Yoda, Oh, and I love those straight ski's in your second pic.

Elan by any chance???
ski holidays
rjwagstaff, yup, those red/white jobbies are Elans. I can't remember what I was skiing on back then. Must have been pre my K2 Extreme days though, I only bought those after watching Blizzard of Aahhs Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy