Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hip operations & skiing

Poster: A snowHead
My dad, who has always been a bit of a hellraiser, has had to have a hip re-surface recently (damage from falling off a horse some years ago). He has always been fit, sails a lot in the summer, ski's in winter & is concerned how soon he can ski again & how best to prepare for this. Anybody any experience here?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No personal experience but I believe my friend's uncle had one in his 70s and was back skiing the next season. Mind you this was in Canada where its accepted that older people have a right to return to active sports.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, my dad is 71, & is a great skier - he has a BASI qualification and has raced - so is a pretty effortless skier, if that makes sense. your comment 'the next season' will return a smile to his face!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rpft@rpft.co.uk,

My freind had a new hip joint as opposed to a resurface...I believe, and he is back skiing... a bit cautious, but that's him, not so much the op. And other friend is back playing golf and has no prblems there. One talks about it a lot and is clearly worried and the other doesn't even mention it...

Someone else I know, is getting a new knee and only expects to miss a season...but he is quite exceptional.....and a stubborn bug. Maybe it affects the person how they let it affect them.... or something like that. If a person is determined to make light of it, they will probably do quite well
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, He is pretty sensible & he doesn't really do the macho stuff, but skiing is his favorite thing - perhaps like your friend with the new knee & therefore determination must come into play. a knee op is pretty tough! good luck to him.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rpft@rpft.co.uk, I have a friend who races with a replacement hip.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, who wins?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Mum just had a hip replacement and was told she would be able to ski after it.

She was delighted, she said, as she couldn't ski before it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rpft@rpft.co.uk, no experience/knowledge of this I'm afraid, best thing is to ask the surgeon. As a gross generalisation lower limb orthopaedic surgery takes minimum 3 months to settle in, before any undue stresses start to be applied. Physiotherapy for mobility and graded leg-strengthening exercises would help to get back to skiing quickly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rpft@rpft.co.uk,

I would expect a 71 year old would slow down a bit.... but try telling them.....but as he was quite skilled beforehand he may be able to get close to that level as he doesn't sound like he was struggling with the techicalities. It will depend on the success of the op, it they know it was a success, the surgeons will probably tell them they can go skiing with the caveat of take it easy etc. If it isn't such a good result, they'd probably say skiing is out.
This sort of surgery is akin to carpentry IMV so get a good chippie....Laughing Laughing but resurfacing is the easier option for doctors, I'd have thought..

But I'm no doctor.... .............and then its down to rehab
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, I'm told hip resurfacing is regarded as more challenging surgery than hip replacement
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, Laughing

rpft@rpft.co.uk, we had a 70 year old guest stay with us last winter that had had a "new hip" 7 months before coming out and doing a Warren Smith course for a week! I spoke to him last week to see if he was going to stay with us again and he's just had the other side done (August) so thinks he won't be skiing until March or April.

I suspect they were both replacements. If it helps I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you or your father. PM me if you'd like to be out in touch...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rpft@rpft.co.uk, there was a thread on this subject ages ago, but I can't find it now. I can't say whether I am recalling correctly, and I'm not a doctor, but I think it was concluded that a Birmingham hip resurfacing was more desirable if you wished to ski afterwards. Advice from surgeons was variable, but may have depended on whether they were skiers or not. I will have another look for the thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges,

It may well be... but a hip replacement would involve more butchery....sorry about this terminolgy, than a resurface, wouldn't it...and therefore be a bit easier for rehab, surely.... And the resurface is the 1st option for younger peeps as the repacement is the final option.

But I agree, get better info on this
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, I don't know but doubt a resurfacing involves much less soft tissue trauma or rehab than a replacement, though by virtue of the technique, it may be that rehab would be able to start sooner in resurfacing - pure conjecture on my part. In any case, all I was trying to say was that I don't think it's true that resurfacing is the easier option for doctors. Little Angel
ski holidays
slikedges,

Yes, none of those two procedures appears to be a lightweight option, but from anecdotal 'eveidence', admittedly, then the poster's father might be heartened to know that people do ski on after such ops.
I hope it goes well. Smile
snow report
thanks for all these replies, I have been at the dry sk slope all day with my kids - their lessons.

rjs, fantastic - he used to race but gave up about 5 years ago - think he still helps with coaching though!
admin, Laughing
slikedges, thanks for this, the surgeon was v.happy with the result - & the physio knows that he aims to ski next spring. the replacement method (birmingham?), is usually used with patients under 50, who have had a mis-spent youth (very apt)
JT, slowing down!! he insisted on sept. for the op so that he could sail all summer - bring the boat out of the water in aug, have the op in sep to be skiing new year!! even with a looming hip op he was still incredibly fast in april!

parlor, thanks, thats v. kind, he has spoken to lots of people, but none that skied - so this might be perfect for him - btw love the video!!
Helen Beaumont, didn't know that, just thought it was because the damage was an injury as opposed to wear & tear.
snow report
rpft@rpft.co.uk,

My friend is the same... he is planning his knee ops around the season but accepts he will miss one.... probably..
He thinks he'll go snowboarding instead.

P.S he is older than your father..there is no stopping some guys...!!!
snow conditions
JT, snowboarding??? isn't that even worse for your knees rolling eyes

one of the first comments my dad made after the op was about how beautiful his (female) egyptian doctor was - he will never slow down (I hope)
latest report
rpft@rpft.co.uk,

Not according to him... and his knees are in a terrible state..but he's an experienced boarder as well...
snow report
rpft@rpft.co.uk, I've taught a number of people with hip replacements. the only problem they seem to have (if beginners) is that they can't open very wide in a snowplough. Otherwise fine. For a good skier, providing he takes it easy I should think he could ski before the surgeon says - they always err on the said eof caution! (understandable of course). However I don't think it helps if they ski themselves - only if they ski well. If they're the brutal forcing type of skier, they'll obviously think skiing's out altogether!
Of course, I'm not a medical person, just an observer. Smile
snow report
easiski, We all skied together in april and the only problem I can recall is where people stopped suddenly in front of him - & you know how often this happens. It is pretty predictable though, near lifts (halfway up a run) or more often where someone suddenly stops at the top of a run.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy