Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nervous Beginner in Murren - should I go to Adelboden?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going to the Jungfrau region this winter (have booked myself into a place in Lauterbrunnen) to try snowboarding! As I'm going the week before christmas, I'm rather relying on Murren's slopes.

However I keep on reading things such as this:

Quote:
Don’t plan to ski Mürren extensively if you’re a beginner. There are some intermediate slopes that the absolute beginner may be able to handle after a few days, but just barely. Lower intermediates will have their hands full, but strong intermediates will have a field day

That makes me really nervous. I've noticed skiclub.co.uk suggest that Murren is duff for beginners too. Alright so I learnt to ski in Argentiere, how much worse can Murren be? Though my partner is a complete snowsport novice, and quite nervous as it is. Should we go elsewhere Sad ? I would like some nice easy runs, but the area doesn't have to be massive.

Adelboden looks quite nice - how does it compare in terms of suitability/beauty/snow in december?

Thanks for any advice

Liam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lrx28, if you are in Lauterbrunnen you can always go up to Wengen and from there to either the Manlichen or Kleine Scheidegg where the slopes are more suited to beginers, it's unlikely that you will be able to ski down to resort level but far from impossible, it was possible last season but the lower slopes were marginal in places
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh I know there's always Wengen ....but I've always had a hankering for Murren and won't be happy if I get so close and don't actually get to ski (or should I say board) there! Wengen does look much better in terms of beginners... Are there nursey slopes in Kleine Scheidegg? Can't see any on the map.

Laim
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lrx28, there's a nearly flat nursery area right by the station at Kleine Scheidegg with a rope tow though it's very small, but there are several easy runs down from there, there's no reason that you shouldn't go to Murren though, your ski pass will cover both areas
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lrx28 wrote:
Oh I know there's always Wengen ....but I've always had a hankering for Murren and won't be happy if I get so close and don't actually get to ski (or should I say board) there! Wengen does look much better in terms of beginners... Are there nursey slopes in Kleine Scheidegg? Can't see any on the map.

Laim

You can easily try both Liam. Wengen and Muerren are on opposite side of the valley, and take a similar amount of time to reach from Lauterbrunnen. The Jungfrau pass covers both resorts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lrx28, chill. You've already booked it now so RELAX. Don't give your partner the jitters by telling her how terrible it is going to be. Have a beginner lesson or two at a SnoDome before you go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the reassurance. I get in a flap most years thinking I've booked into the wrong resort! Anyway I think we'll mix it up a bit and learn at Kleine Scheidegg for the first three days, then treat ourselves to a bit of Murren on the last.

Ice Perv - I've already bandied the snowdome idea around - it's 'too much snow for one year' apparently. Gives you an idea about the enthusiasm levels I'm working with!

Liam
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lrx28 wrote:
it's 'too much snow for one year'

Puzzled Puzzled what do these words mean?? I don't understand Shocked Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, four days snowboarding in Switzerland + three days of snowdome = 7 days of snow!

I'm really the only snow lover in our household. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lrx28, I taught my wife to Ski in Murren and Emma had no problems what so ever with the pistes.

The learning slope is at 1907m so its at a good altitude to be snow sure before Xmas and both runs back to the resort are covered with snow-making equipment as long as the temp as low.

There are plenty of runs in Murren that are blue and long called the Bob-run & Hindenburg aswell as shorter ones branching off on them. You could also visit Winteregg which again has two nice long blue runs but to get to it you need to go down a red run but dont worry it wide and is more of a blue compared to other reds in Murren.

With the building of the new Riggli chairlift which will be ready for this season it opens up the higher slopes at an altitude of 2676m for you just incase the snow is bad at the start of the season. ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2120 )

Visit http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=52 for an updated piste map on Murren
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28, like Chris says, I wouldn't be put off Murren just yet. If I were a total beginner, then I'd favour the nursery slope at Almendhubel over the one at Kleie Schiedegg. Once you get beyond trying to stand up, there are several nice slopes over there. Don't, however, follow Chris's advice about the Bob run....at least not on a snowboard as a beginner!!

You'd be fine getting into the Winteregg system and after a day or two going up to Birg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, true, but its the better of the two runs when coming back into Murren as both are narrow at the end.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, as a beginner, I wouldn't board back into Murren (especially when staying in Lauterbrunnen). I'd go to Winteregg and get the train from there. The red section from Almendhubel to Maulerhubel chair isn't too bad for a board because of the width. In my limited experience of being on a board, I'd rather do wide and steep than narrow and flat!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree adter spending time on the Winteregg area its better (depending on level) using the train back to Murrren than doing the Palace run as its narrow and fast. I though was shocked as our instructor took us back down to Murren via the Palace run on our first day.. Sad

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 23-09-06 7:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A beginner should survive Murren if he/she doesn't take the cable car to the very top and ski down the black slope, which resembles a side of a pyramid.

Wengen won't wet the pants.
ski holidays
This black run -

snow report
lrx28, if you decide to pop back...click on my link 'My photo gallery' where you will find pictures and movie clips of Murren...enjoy
snow report
Chris Brookes,

One picture is better than a thousand words.
ski holidays
lrx28, On my gallery in the snowMedia Zone, I have two video clips taken in Murren, see link here
snow report
Fantastic pictures/videos! Thet's really got me in the mood (for Murren)

Thanks all, Liam
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy