Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - Which of the Villages is the one to go for?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinkin about La Plagne this winter, who's has been there and what would be the best of the 7/8 micro villages to go to, I know its france but which would have the most life at night etc......ski area seems extensive, and has it been linked to Les Arcs or Les Deux Alpes?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs - the link is near Montchavin but I don't think that village is ideally located as you'd have to take a few lifts to get you to most of the skiing.

There's a sH on the other side of the cable car that links La Plagne and Les Arcs so he might be along with more info.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glengooly-Guy, depends on whether you want to go across to Les Arcs. I went to Belle Plagne as a first-timer (with family) and there was plenty of skiing for me homeside of the link. Not much in the way of nightlife; Plagne Bellecote or Plagne Centre seemed to be the places.

Other snowHeads will give you a much better picture though...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les arcs 1800 is the best of the la plane villages Twisted Evil

Seriously I went last year, stayed in plagne centre (supposedly the livliest) ans found it pretty wierd and quiet - there is something really odd about going out for a drink inside a shopping mall. I found arc1800 much better the year before and, as you suspected the two are linked by lift.

In terms of best slopes in the combined area depends what you want - especially for boarders I think the main areas of la plagne are a bit flat, lots of poling an uphill walking. arc1800/peisey is much better for this. Arc200 also has a nasty flat to the lifts.

aj xx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glengooly-Guy, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I have to say I would really recommend Les Arcs over La Plagne.

I stayed at Arc 2000 in April this year and had a fantastic time - brilliant snow and extensive interesting ski area. Went across to La Plagne for a day and didn't enjoy the slopes that side half as much. It may just be the pistes we went on, but the the La Plagne ones were very busy, very churned up and just not half as much fun as the ones in and around Les Arcs.

Re ajhainey's comment on Arc 2000s flat bits, it is true that there is a flat bit to get back to the village but you can avoid it by dropping down to the new Intrawest 1950 and getting the lift back up (which remains open til around 11pm - v good for late-night drunken bum-boarding if you are into that kind of thing, but you will get told off by the lifty).

Night-life was a bit iffy if you are looking for clubs, etc but reasonable pubs ~ depends who you are going with, but I find with a group and alcohol you can generally make your own entertainment.

There is a fantastic restaurant on the piste within walking distance of Arc 2000 as well ~ we went there for the Chaletbods night off - it was great snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glengooly-Guy wrote:
Thinkin about La Plagne this winter, who's has been there and what would be the best of the 7/8 micro villages to go to, I know its france but which would have the most life at night etc......ski area seems extensive, and has it been linked to Les Arcs or Les Deux Alpes?

The 43 mile gondola between La Plagne and Les Deux Alpes is still at the planning stage. You'll have to use the French road network instead.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne has some great skiing but its fairly quiet at night in all resorts. Stayed in Plagne 1800 and had a couple of evenings in Plagne Centre.

Its a pain in the a*&e poling around Plagne Centre to the up lifts when you come down from Aime.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Closest night life is probably in Austria - but after theat I agree that Les Arcs and (even Bourg) has a better night life than La Plagne
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The sattelites of LP itself are closer together than you think and not an issue on skis IMV. Belleplanne is nearest to the Roch del Mio -spelling- which opens up the Bellecote but it wasn't open all my week...!!

It just a ridge away to the Les Arc lift but still allow an hour or so to do this. Nightlife is a few pubs..so forget all about that IMV
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kieran, Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd echo halfhand's comments; I've stayed in both Plagne 1800 (one bar, which is on the pricey side, and not much else going on. Can be a pain to ski back to, as well, if the snow's not great.) and Plagne Centre, which is basically a slightly depressing shopping centre at the bottom of the slopes. Much better to head for Les Arcs if nightlife's your thing. Having said that, I still prefer La Plagne as a ski area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SkiBod wrote:
Glengooly-Guy, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There is a fantastic restaurant on the piste within walking distance of Arc 2000 as well ~ we went there for the Chaletbods night off - it was great snowHead

That would be Chalet de l'Arc. Its one of my favorites that way!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mmmm Chalet de l'Arc...maybe I'll go back to les arcs this season after all Madeye-Smiley aj xx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please please take no notice of all the posts telling you to stay in Les Arcs instead. I am finding this a very worrying trend on Snowheads. La Plagne is a really really nice place - and if you go there the pistes in Les Arcs will have more room for those of us who simply have no alternative but to return year - after year - after year Madeye-Smiley
Kieran - do we stay in the same Bourg St Maurice?? Nightlife?????????? mmmmmmmmm - actually I suppose McDonalds is still open after 8pm!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go with friends, make your own nightlife.

Les Arcs - La Plagne. Let me see, shall I go to a great ski area linked by a fantastic 4 minute ride to another great ski area or shall I go to a great ski area linked by a fantastic 4 minute ride to another great ski area? rolling eyes
ski holidays
And as a major plus, it's not far from La Rosiere Shocked
ski holidays
And another, its a long way from Chamonix Shocked
latest report
Glengooly-Guy, welcome to snowheads, and well done on your excellent choice of resort: La Plagne is an excellent place to ski.

Ignore all those suggesting Les Arcs: it is a most inferior resort, strung out along a long mountain ridge (piste map).
La Plagne is a much friendlier place, concentrated mainly in a cozy bowl, but does overflow in a number of places (Montchavin/Les Coches and Champagny).

By far the best place to stay is Belle Plagne. It has all the nightlife you need.
The Maitre Kanter (00 33 479 55 76 70)T is great place to just collapse in with plenty of space to sprawl out and relax; it also does excellent food.
If you want crowds and crush with evil Margaritas, head off to Le Cheyenne café (00 33 479 09 20 72) which also does good Tex Mex, though the service can be a bit slow at times.
But for serious night life there is Le Saloon (have sound on for this link). I warn you, this place should come with a health warning. Many a punter has popped in here for just a quick late night drink, only to find themselves staggering home at 4am. At 4 am you feel ever so happy, but on waking up again later you may seriously consider contacting the euthanasia society. Skiing that day is likely to be a very gentle affair.

Belle Plagne is also the best positioned village for access to the best slopes, both on and off piste. I've been going there every January since 1998, and quite a few Easters as well. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.
ski holidays
Glengooly-Guy, would echo everything Jonpim says. Le Saloon is probably the best late night establishment on the whole La Plagne domain, plus Belle Plagne is also the nicest of the villages. The gondola also runs till about midnight, so you can get the gondola and bus to Plagne Centre and then there's a free shuttle bus to Le Saloon which you can use for getting home. Best bars in Plagne Centre Bar Luna, and PlanJa. There's some good restaurants in PC, the best being Le Vega, and Le Phare Ouest. There is also a lovely place in Aime 2000 called L'Arlequin.
snow report
Glengooly-Guy, The above poster is the official Snowheads expert on Apres. You would do well to note his comments.
snow report
jayne durham, I would agree with your sentiments about LP being a great place to ski, tho' I haven't been to Les Arc.
snow report
halfhand, I enjoy both ski areas (although I tend to think of them as just one big place now). The skiing at LP is a bit more extensive, but not as varied as Les Arcs in my opinion. There seems to be mile upon mile upon mile of moderate terrain at LP, but not so much steep stuff or not so many pistes left to develop bumps. Having said that, both offer wonderful skking opportunities and I don't think you can go far wrong with either of them.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, cheers bud Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy