Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A couple of Chamonix questions

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all. We've booked a four day beano in Chamonix again next year, as this year's trip was so good. I have two questions:

1) Having never skiied in Italy, is it worth our while heading to Courmayeur for the day? We have a car, and I understand the drive is not too terrible. Our only other target for the week is to do the Vallee Blanche.

2) What are the adv/ disadv of renting a car on the Swiss side of Geneva airport? I've been recommended to do so, but don't know why.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rainman,

on 2)

pros for Swiss side:

- the car will come with chains, winter tyres and a Swiss motorway vignette included in the price (well at least I've always had all 3 when renting on the Swiss side).

- It's a bit more awkward to get into and out of the French side of the airport, but far from impossible.

pros for French side:

- It's usually cheaper, but may be marginal if you factor in chains and you need a vignette (for Chamonix it would make it easier but you could live without it, available here , costs about £18 ).

- if you're going with squeezyjet, the baggage scrum is a lot smaller on the French side.

I'd say check both prices, if French side is significantly cheaper then consider it, otherwise go Swiss.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rainman,

Quote:

1) Having never skiied in Italy, is it worth our while heading to Courmayeur for the day? We have a car, and I understand the drive is not too terrible. Our only other target for the week is to do the Vallee Blanche

Cormayeur - definite maybe. I reckon the sking in Chamonix is better, but variety is the spice of life. Tunnel quite pricey tho. VB well worth doing, with a guide !

Quote:

What are the adv/ disadv of renting a car on the Swiss side of Geneva airport? I've been recommended to do so, but don't know why.

The only difference really is that it's much much much easier to return a car to the Swiss side. There is NO upside to renting from France.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rainman, Courmayeur has plenty of appeal skiing-wise and resort-wise if you'd like to eat there before heading back.

Alternatively, zip over to Megeve which has some very pretty skiing, especially when the snow's good (it's not very high)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rainman,

IMHO rent on the Swiss side. the French side don't always have chains and won't have a vignette. So you'll need to buy one or drive on A roads only in Switzerland. Not ideal. The French often don't even have chains available so if there's any snow around...and it's a bit more of a pain to get the car picked up and dropped off.

As suggested, the skiing in CHX is better than Courmayeur. That said, you get a totally different view if the MB from the other side. If the snow in Italy isn't generally great, Courmayeur can get rather packed (lots of snow cannonery). If you do go over, ensure that the other Aostan resorts have good snow, otherwise you'll be on boiler plate with every Turinese/Milanese who fancies a slide.

If conditions are OK, the VB is worth it just for the scenery.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, to be honest, the thought of a decent Italian meal at the day's end is appealing, and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to ski in Italy again.

brian, So what's the script with the vignette? It's compulsory for driving on motorways; like a toll? We just want to get to CHX as quickly as possible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rainman, conditions are often different either side of Mt Blanc so, if the snow is poor on the French side, it may well be better on the Italian side - I've certainly found that myself in the past. I like Courmayeur anyway, though I can't have found the best restaurants!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rainman, The easiest/fastest way to get back to Geneva is on the motorway, for which you need a vignette. Swiss cars will have one, French cars will not .
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rainman, yep, they check for them at customs post on the motorway.

If you are arriving in GVA in the evening then it won't take you much longer to go straight through the city and on to the motorway at Annemasse. If it's busy you'd be a lot quicker on the motorway so you'd need the vignette.

As others have said, the Swiss side is a fair bit easier if you don't know where you're going.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rainman, if you don't get through the tunnel, Casa Valerio on the Rue de Lyret in Chamonix is very authentic...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If youdo use the tunnel buy a single on the way through, you can get a discount on your return journey by keeping your lift pass...

Aslaundryman said the conditions can be quite different. The food can be excellent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rent on the Swissd side for the reasons others have stated. IMO the scrum for bags is the same and i think you have to go through 2 sets of customs is you are going out through the French side.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman - the only reason I'd rent on the French side is if the Swiss side run out of cars of a particular class. Otherwise the Swiss side is easier, faster, cheaper...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As ever, you've all been enormously helpful. Sounds as though it might be worth the drive for a day in Courmayeur. Just for a change of scenery.

brian, we arrive at Geneva at half past three on a Sunday afternoon (with Sleazyjet), so traffic shouldn't be an issue. But we'll still take the fastest route, so the Swiss side sounds sensible.

David Murdoch, funnily enough, we ate there this year. Great pizzas!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman, very good pizzes, very good veal too - Yum!
ski holidays
rainman, I can also recommend popping round to see Enrico in the Alpina Complex for a great taste of Calabre
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rainman,

Not hired a car from Geneva but I don't understand the Swiss motorway bit... Unless you need the vignette to get through Geneva you will get to Chamonix on the French side and then via the tunnel to Italy. The chains issue is relevant though.

As for Cormayuer, it is worth a day trip, if only for change and the food on the hill is better than the normal. I think the 1st cable car ...forgets it name... just through the tunnel on the right is the least busy but make sure you have good look at the map to see the way down last thing... Its not always possible to ski down and you need to make a few links. The parking is better than from the centre of Courmayuer as well which can be murder IME.

As for the VB, get the best weather forecast and book it as soon as you can
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER, where's the Alpina Complex?
latest report
By the carpark opposite the Fire station, underneath the Hotel Alpina, relatively difficult to miss. It's alongside the river, on the opposite side to the school and ENSA
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, the quickest way out of GVA French side is to go immediately back into Switzerland. Then the quickest way out of the city is to get on the motorway at the airport and head out through the Bardonnex customs, you need the vignette for that bit.
snow report
When I used Easycar 4 years ago from Geneva airport it was a longish walk through the airport but astonishingly cheap.
There is some good off-piste at Courmayeur if you get into that (If you get a guide for a few days he may well take you there for a day anyway).
snow report
I have stayed in Chamonix a number of years and Courmayeur is well worth a visit. It is just at the other end of the Mont Blanc tunnel so literally some 15 minutes away. You will see the chairlift immediately after you exit the tunnel approach. Just go there early to ensure getting a parking space. Courmayeur is covered by Chamski pass too.

Driving further down the Aosta Valley and you try La Thuile which is linked with La Rosiere of France (skiing two countries).
snow conditions
rainman,

If your in Chamonix and want a bit of variation then head over to the Grand Massif. It's bigger (250km) and better than any other option near Chamonix. One large area, with Flaine and 3 other truly linked resorts. Flaine also has an excellent snow record and is as high as any other ski area in the Mt Blanc area.

Your best bet is to head over to Les Carroz (direction Sallanches / Geneva), they have free parking and a new gondola lift.

The whole feel of the area is very different from Chamonix but if you want a real culture difference stick with Italy - it is a bit strange coming out of the tunnel and everything being very different!

Regards
Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NorthWestFace, thanks - but Flaine is one I'm really pretty familiar with. The opportunity to ski in Italy appeals precisely for the reasons you've stated - a chance to experience something a little difference. We've always skiied in France, partly because of the language issue (ie can get by in French/ can only order beer in Italian/ shout non-pc phrases in German) so the thinking is to grab a day in Italy whilst we have the chance, and with very little effort. Plus, I hear the sunglasses shopping is good. Cool
latest report
rainman, a little left field, but if you drive (quite) a bit further you could check out Cervinia and the Matterhorn. I found it rather more fun than Courmayeur.

You could also (if you can arrange the transport/take taxis - taxi to Courmayeur and come home via the Italian version of the Vallee Blanche?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Is there an advantage to doing the VB on the Italian side?
ski holidays
rainman,

Quote:

Is there an advantage to doing the VB on the Italian side?

There's a long thread about this somewhere.

The downside of doing it from Cham is the arrete you have to walk down. It's not great if you don't have a head for heights. As it goes I don't, but I didn't find it a problem. IMHO the ride up the Midi is worth the walk down. It's not far.

You won't get away from the crowds going this way, but you won't have to sort out transport into Cormayeur either. Hope that helps
ski holidays
ski, it does, and I quite fancy the arrete, to be honest. Half the fun, innit?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You need a guide from the VB Italian side too, which would be another reason to go to the Italian side with a guide.
snow report
rainman, Pop by the Shop when you get into Town, we can look at the options for you then when we have current weather conditions. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and tell you which boots to buy off ebay Twisted Evil
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Lange W/c 95mm 150kn in size 25! I can hear you wince!
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think they'd fit me.... Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I found a pair of Edges in a 29, would they do?
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Move the family in an let out the West Wing! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thank you, you've been a great help
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, what colour are they - I need to look like a non-expert.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Orange, I think
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, do you do them in any other colour? Cause I currently have orange boots and that's caused a lot of confusion on here, with people having delusions of adequacy about my skiing...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes, I just checked the manufacturer and they also do them in Flame, Mandarine and Sunset
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy