Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mental Trim Disc, Balance Disc etc...

Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-09-11 21:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, I've got a diamond cutting disc if that's of any help Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:

Me too, how do you think I got the ankle injury Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:

I've got a Neil Diamond Compact Disc, if that's any help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, I dislocated my ankle a few years ago and it stiffens up if left unattended for a while. So I make sure I give it few stretches every time I'm down the gym, especially to make sure I don't lose any range of movement that could prevent me flexing properly when skiing.

Last year I also bought a wobble board - big wooden disc with a hemisphere glued on the bottom - it's probably similar to that balance disc in function.

It's very good; primarily to ensure I don't lose any range of movement, but has the added advantage of helping balance too.

You know it works because it hurts at first and is hard to do, later it doesn't hurt and gets a little easier. That said I still can't do one legged excercises on it without holding on to something. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, a friend of mine had a Vew-Do, a funny little balance board that looks like a skateboard. Great for balance and really builds up core and leg (balance) muscles. I'm sure it would also offer you a good ankle work out. It's probably not as comprehensive as your metal trim disc etc. so I'm sure it's good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Does anyone have either of these bits of kit? Here is the MTD:

http://www.bodycare.co.uk/default.asp?pID=2001

I have just had an ankle operation and it is the kind of kit that is used for physio, I was wondering if anyone had them at home and had opinions?

I'm recovering from a knee op and have found that using a wobble board is helping greatly. But I'm not sure you need quite as many attachments! Puzzled

I've got one of these, which is a more traditional wobble board:

http://www.gaiamdirect.co.uk/content/product.aspx?productID=6883&rCat=0

and one of these, which is a copy of a BOSU ball:

http://www.gaiamdirect.co.uk/content/product.aspx?productID=6884&rCat=0

Even though I had the wobble board, I bought the BOSU because it can be used as an unstable surface for general exercise. If I were to buy again, I'd just buy the BOSU as you can use it dome side down as a wobble board. (

Suggest you check back with the physio though just in case they have an opinion. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
davidof, a friend of mine had a Vew-Do, a funny little balance board that looks like a skateboard. Great for balance and really builds up core and leg (balance) muscles. I'm sure it would also offer you a good ankle work out. It's probably not as comprehensive as your metal trim disc etc. so I'm sure it's good.

I've got a vewdo as well and would suggest that it's a tad agressive for rehab.

It is, however, excellent for brightening up a spot of ironing as, with practice, you can "swoosh" up and down the ironing board... Madeye-Smiley DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton, This might be a future activity for you - probably you do this already?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, During my recovery form my achilles injury, I have used a wobble board and a stability disc - under guidance form physio and P Ed staff. I found both very good. in developing ankle strength and stability.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my friend had a similiar issue, he got a balance disc with some games built into it, along the lines of rolling a ball bearing around a maze I think, he reckons without that he would get bored of it very quickly.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One thing I've noticed that doing more than 5 minutes on the wobble board pays dividends. But kitenski is right - it's dead boring.

My approach is to try and do 15 minutes whilst watching something I like on TV.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, anything that helps improve the condition soft tissues around the ankle joint and improve propriocepton (balance and spatial awareness) will be beneficial to you. Any type of wobble board is good but one that is multi-planar (moves in all directions rather than only backwards/forwards or side/side) is better for you. If I was to suggest one peice of equipment to buy though I would definately suggest a BOSU. Not only is it fantastic for rehab work but it is also a brilliant training tool for improving ski fitness. I have set up a ski specific workout that makes extensive use of the BOSU. If you want a copy of my workout then just PM your email address and I will mail it to you.
latest report
I have a bosu (back in Oz) and a couple of balls and a couple of stability disks... I have used the discs a bit - as I had programs written for me using them.... they are great for doing squats/lunges etc onto/off.... the advantage of them is they travel quite well being smalllish (ever tried to pack a bosu...)
snow conditions
built my own wobble board and have a vewdo also, both are great.

simple balance is easy after a little while so you need to do stuff on it like crouching down, spinning around, one foot and juggleing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy