Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best skiwear out there?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear All

I've always bought salopettes and jackets a little on the cheap side and have found them to be mediocre at best (as you'd expect). As I'm off to Levi in Lapland in February, and expect temperatures of around -40*C, I want to splash out and get some excellent skiwear - in the hope that it will keep out the cold and last longer than the cheaper brands.

I also want them to be fashionable. Can anyone help?

Durham Red.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At -40 I'd be found wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt in the nearest bar!

I think any of the brands stocked by the big wintersports retailers are suitable - just about all of them would be up to the job providing the other clothes you are wearing are suitable. It's best to have several layers that you can wear underneath your waterproof kit, so don't skimp on things like a thermal layer next to your skin, a mid-layer or two to provide insulation, then the outer layer to keep out the wind and and snow. A good hat or helmet will make a major difference to how warm you feel (40% of body heat radiates through the top of your head), and I find that a fleecy neckwarmer is the difference between feeling comfortable and miserable when the temperature is very low. If you are going to get extremely cold temperatures (anything much below -25) you should get a facemask (neoprene with a fleecy lining) to make sure you don't get a touch of frontnip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think that skiing at -40 is impossibly cold for feet, hands, ears. Spending loads of money on a ski suit won't necessarily achieve superior insulation.

You'll need big mitts and some kind of exterior ski boot insulation to be able to stand those temperatures, for a start, I would think. If your extremities aren't very adequately protected, forget it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I would think that skiing at -40 is impossibly cold for feet, hands, ears. Spending loads of money on a ski suit won't necessarily achieve superior insulation.

You'll need big mitts and some kind of exterior ski boot insulation to be able to stand those temperatures, for a start, I would think. If your extremities aren't very adequately protected, forget it.

It's not "impossibly cold", just VERY cold.

Layering up has worked for me.
1. Silk base layer
2. Thin socks
3. (if using shell trousers) Track suit bottoms
4. Trousers

Top half:
1. Silk base layer
2. (if using a shell jacket) T shirt
3. Microfleece
4. Jacket

Hands:
1. Silk inners.
2. Gloves.

Head:
1. Balaclava with built in neoprene face mask
2. Helmet.
(the key here is to make sure you have no exposed skin on your face)

Well, it might not work for everyone, but it has worked fine for me in the past at those sorts of temps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the polar ice cap melting as fast as it is you should just take your swimmies.

I've experienced -40ish once in Vermont and -30ish in quite a few places notably Alberta and Norway. A genuine -40 is not a lot of fun frankly and I seem to remember retiring early to the bar! Wore the same Descent suit on all accasions and I've yet to find anything so effective at maintaining warmth when you need it most and yet being totally comfortable when in more mormal temps. Obviously you're aware of the need for the right undies and layering, insulated head gear, inner gloves, face mask, iceproof mascara.

I reckon there's loads of great clothing out there that'll cope. My other gear is North Face but it simply isn't as effective or bullit proof as my Descent stuff. Can't you just go somewhere warmer?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:

I reckon there's loads of great clothing out there that'll cope. My other gear is North Face but it simply isn't as effective or bullit proof as my Descent stuff. Can't you just go somewhere warmer?

Unfortunately, can't go to anywhere warmer as we have a Levi wedding to attend, so are combining it with a ski holiday.

Thanks everyone for the layering advice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

It's not "impossibly cold", just VERY cold.

I do think you need to be nuts to stay out in -40 though. It's just OK if all's going well and you've got your clobber right. The real problem occurs if you have an accident that imobilises you... it might be a straight race between the ski patrol and the grim reaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
... and the grim reaper doesn't have to haul a bloodwagon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
... or worry about face mask, boot warmers etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Durham Red,

Start with an ice breaker or similar and protect the extremities. Your face, hands and feet will be the first to complain. Not sure I've been out in temps that low, - 30 probably......... but have got caught by a very bad wind-chill and thats NO fun...!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Regular 5 minute warm-up stops are probably a good idea too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Durham Red, I've been to Levi and it can get very cold but it's not really that bad. A fleece neck warmer is an absolute must. While you're there an absolute must is snowmobiling, you can rent Yamaha racemachines that can reach nearly 200km/h, not that I did of course !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Durham Red, I've been to Levi and it can get very cold but it's not really that bad. A fleece neck warmer is an absolute must. While you're there an absolute must is snowmobiling, you can rent Yamaha racemachines that can reach nearly 200km/h, not that I did of course !

Good God, that sounds fun.

Any more advice on clothing for Lapland from someone who's been there Largezookeeper?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Durham Red, Take normal warm clothes and layer properly, If you are in an appt they all have drying cupboards and Sauna's yippee. Otherwise local's are very friendly and can talk about anything as long as it concerns fishing or reindeer Cool Don't forget your hat
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

That's because you're a soft southerner. -40 is beach weather up here. NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
The wind took the temperature down to -40 in Canada one year.

A quick trip into the nearest store. The purchase of a face mask, mittens (not gloves), silk glove liners and the nice little heat packs you can put in your gloves and off we went quite happy again.

I have since purchased a Ripzone jacket which is a Canadian company. They must know what they're doing as I've always been toasty in the jacket. Six seasons on (and plenty of abuse, washes etc) and this jacket still looks good and feels just like it did originally!
ski holidays
Durham Red, and remember, "cotton'll kill ya".

Any modern base layer should be effective - you should be able to find "cheaper" brands online. Some swear by Icebreaker and while I think my merino mid layer is astonishingly good, I wouldn't want it next to my skin (being of a sensitive disposition I get itchy easily).

My other "hot" (falls off perch in fits of laughter) tip is Patagonia's R4 jacket here

I bought one in Whistler when day 1 was -35 C and we had to chocolate stop every 2 runs. Most cosy thereafter. In fact, it's so warm I hardly ever wear it - it's effectively 3 fleece layers fused together - a base layer inside, a windproof layer and a mid layer outside. Just don't buy it too large...I have a Medium when I should really have bought a Small...
latest report
Kramer wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

That's because you're a soft southerner. -40 is beach weather up here. NehNeh Laughing

Laughing Coldest last season was -28 on the La Plagne glacier, plus wind chill; I started to get a white patch on the end of my nose which I'm told is the first sign of frontnip. I've since decided that as a soft southerner skiing in excessively cold temperatures when there are warm bars nearby is sheer madness!
snow report
I've skied in -35 and it was not very much fun. Zero skin exposed required at all times. If you get a tingling sensation, it's not pins and needles, it's the start of Frostnip, leading on to Frostbite. I suffered the early stages and it's permanently marked me.

Kjus have just become the best trousers/salopettes you can get.
ski holidays
Skied for a few hours at -65F (bear in mind there are an extra 32 F degrees before you get to 0) in upstate NY once.
It was so cold that the lifties instected you as you got on and off every lift. If you had any flesh showing at all you were not allowed to proceed until it was covered.
It was a bright sunny day and the temperature drop as you went into the shade was incredible....it was ski in the sun or not at all.
At about 2.30 the sun went behind the mountain...by 2.40 the pistes were deserted...it was just too cold for anybody to continue.
ski holidays
Nickski,
Quote:
I've skied in -35 and it was not very much fun.
, ah
but the SNOW!,
the densest of talcum powders,
the friction so high that you notice the acceleration when you get up on edge
(and you know a million snowboarders couldn't scrape it off),
no clumping possible so no death cookies or coral reef
(nor nobody sitting on the trail neither)
the breeze swirls coldsmoke powder bunnies so every run is fresh
teee heee!

( dangit, can't get to Canada 'til 27 jan)
latest report
Nickski wrote:
Kjus have just become the best trousers/salopettes you can get.

I've got a Kjus jacket and it's excellent! I did get a lot of comments in Canada though querying whether I was dressed warmly enough rolling eyes I don't think they'd seen them before.....

Paying out for the trousers as well though was just too much Sad
snow conditions
rungsp, -40F is the same as -40C , -65F: 5*(-65-32)/9 is only -54C but the mercury is frozen at this point and who carries a (calibrated) ethanol thermometer around anyway?

Durham Red, Western Mountaineering Flash Vest (under Arcteryx) or Feathered Friends Volant jacket = me toasty.

as David Goldsmith mentions, boot covers are very important, though my Thermoflex/Intuition boot liners are warmer than most others.
latest report
I don't care what you are wearing, nobody sits on a lift for more than 3-4 mins in -40 and stays warm.

The coldest I think have been out in is about -30 and you could barely get your skis to move since we didn't have cold weather wax. 15 min lift ride froze us, we skied one run and sat in a restaurant for 2 hrs to warm up properly. No-one else on the hill. At all.
latest report
Just spotted M&S have their mens thermals in! Couldn't see any of the womens stuff yet though. Certainly the womens stuff kept me very warm last year, & is not bad a price - the mens today was £17.00 for a long sleeved vest & £12.00 for long johns (maybe the other way round!)
latest report
flicksta wrote:
I don't care what you are wearing, nobody sits on a lift for more than 3-4 mins in -40 and stays warm.

The coldest I think have been out in is about -30 and you could barely get your skis to move since we didn't have cold weather wax. 15 min lift ride froze us, we skied one run and sat in a restaurant for 2 hrs to warm up properly. No-one else on the hill. At all.

Tuck all your layers in and have a curry the night before.
ski holidays
skanky wrote:
flicksta wrote:

Tuck all your layers in and have a curry the night before.

Very good advice!
ski holidays
Durham Red, if you really are experiencing that coldness, make sure you are with a buddy all the time you are outside - and take advice from the locals about whether you should be there in the first place. Check each other to make sure all your clothing is properly done up - and that the external layer, at least, looks appropriate. And keep an eye on each other . -40 deg C is in serious survival territory, IMV. Also remember wind-chill factor - any wind blowing will increase your problems. I wouldn't give a hoot about looking fashionable - warmth is your No 1 priority. Good luck.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Durham Red, I have a 2 old jackets made by Couloir, another Canadian company. I bought them both in Newcastle, but i don't know if anywhere in the UK stock them anymore.They were guaranteed to be warm down to something like -25C. One of them is white and purple though, but still gets worn on really cold days. I have never been cold in it. As for my Marmot one, I freeze in that. Lots of layers is the trick.
ski holidays
Durham Red, I have a Helly Hansen jacket, and after 20 years of C&A and like, it's the best I've ever had. Not padded or bulky, but I have never been cold (skied in temps down to -18 ), stayed dry on days when snow is falling, and it costs me about £80 in a Helly Hansen outlet Very Happy There are ventilation zips for later in the season too, so it really has been an all-season jacket for me. I'm looking for something else, just a bit bored, but it shows no sign of wear after 4-5 years. Would recommend snowHead
latest report
I wonder if any of you here have been in anything like -40 deg C? It is dangerously cold, particularly if there is a wind blowing. I have been in Newfoundland in mid-winter. Quite a while ago, and I don't remember the exact temperatures. My employer took strong safety measures, issuing us with special winter kit on loan, and making sure we were instructed in its use, as well as insisting that we had a similarly trained companion with us so that we checked each other over before going outside, and monitored each other's well being. Quite a few of us have skied down to temperatures as low as -20 deg C. That's cold enough. -40 is a whole bunch worse and needs to be treated seriously, IMHO.
snow report
Approaching -30º is my limit, and that's with not much wind chill. If there is wind at that temperature things like chairlift rides or any exposed pistes can be deeply, deeply unpleasant. At that temperature discretion is the better part of valour.
snow conditions
achilles,

Probably agree, if its too cold for what you are waring, its too cold...you don't need a temperature to tell you that.
I remember arriving in VD a week after it had been -25 for few days and loads of peeps had scabs from the cold which I understood to a be a stage of frostbite.

I have had frostnip on the cheeks after spending over 45mins on the Ag du Midi Arrete. It was a bluebird day down below but you could just see the snow getting blown of the ridge. The guide made me rub my face for at least 15 mins in the sun and out of the wind until he was satisfied we had dealt with it... Looked like giant blisters..!!
ski holidays
I'm off to spend a week in Levi in Lapland on New years and have been really all your replies about layering etc, been skiing before so we have the jackets and trousers, thermals etc but these thermal suits that you can hire. I believe from reading other forums that you can hire them on arrvial at the airport. Does anyone know if you can hire them once you are at the resort? as I want to see how things go 1st and don't want to fork our £80 unecessarily!
ski holidays
Just a suggestion............ to keep your hands cosy.
When we went skiing the other year in Bulgaria we took these little metal cases that you can ingnite and put in your pocket to keep you hands warm... I don't know what there called, perfectly safe, you get them from a fishing shop....
ski holidays
Durham Red, skiing in -40 ???

The coldest I have done was -16 in Austria last year and that was bad enough. From Pity me to Levi - I'd be with rob@rar.org.uk in the bar.

You must be very keen to ski in those temps !! Very Happy
latest report
Italian Ann, Welcome to snowHeads!

I've used something like that, not for skiing, but when out to watch fireworks and nightime ski displays. Very cosy!
ski holidays
Italian Ann,

Not sure about anything metal in those temps...!!!
snow report
Italian Ann, some friends went on a trip to see Santa, and were given these suits by the tour ops.
snow report
Its not your core its all extremeties that suffer. It was so cold for a few days when I was in Canada once that you could see who'd been up the hill by the scabs on their faces and you couldn't walk in the evening. You literally had to run beween pubs (even in down jacket, hat, facemask, gloves etc). I went to the cinema one night and outside of Everest base camp I'd never expect to see so many down jackets in one place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy