Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Comfortable Avvy Transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
Ok - I have an Ortovox x1 which I have had for two years, and in the limited time I have used it and the times I have practiced with it - have found very easy to use. Just I hope I never need it in anger.

BUT the strap/harness is cheap and nasty and totally sucks - and in January this year I fell hard with it riding round under my left lateral rib cage and broke a rib or two. Skiing was painful for the rest of the week and I could not sleep on my left side or use my rowing machine for 2 months... If it had stayed at the front I would have been fine,

So - I am looking at getting something with a better harness arrangement than the narrow webbing and elastic that comes with the X1 (and also ? the F1).

Any ideas about what is actually comfortable to wear and stays in the same place? The DTS and barryvox look better... Any opinions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother,

My M2 is very comfortable and stays in place. I wear it just below the rib cage, about belt height and to one side. Never been an issue comfortwise.
I'm surprised they have got it wrong in that respect with the x1 when the M1/2 was so right
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, having worn quite a few I'd say the barryvox. never had any trouble with it. FWIW I own a barryvox, if I needed to replace it this season I'd buy an x1. Simple is beautiful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, stoatsbrother, I guess it's horses for courses, but as far as I am concerned, the X1 is the worst transciever I've ever used - due to its dreadfully slow update rate. In an exercise last year, single search was just about doable, but needed a bit of patience (not something that's normally going spare when in a pressure situation), but neither I NOR THE GUIDE WITH ME could get anything useful at all in a dual burial (transmitters buried about 20m apart). I'll never use one again if I can possibly avoid it - I'd prefer to use an F1. I use the M2 by preference, but will probably be checking out the new Barryvox this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, I have used the M1 and liked the strap on that which I think is the same as the M2 and so was disappointed with the x1 harness. Hearing what you say about the x1 is worrying, and I have seen similar things said elsewhere.

parlor, thanks ... If you really want an x1 I might have one to sell!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, Soph and I have the Barryvox and have no issues. Have happily used with harnesses, etc. I'm not convinced any of the strap solutions are ideal - Sophie's sister skis with hers in her trouser pocket...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch wrote:
Sophie's sister skis with hers in her trouser pocket...

I wonder if you know that in the Tignes avalanche that killed two season workers at the end of last winter one of them had his beacon in his jacket pocket... the rescue workers found his beacon when they searched the debris... but with no snowboarder attached they found his body about 2 months later. The straps are usually designed so that the beacon is on when worn correctly, easy to forget when just stuffing the beacon into a pocket.

Regarding the X1, some reviews claim that the strap is the best part of that beacon!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, for sure. I had heard that particular note but anyway I was not condoning the practice, just making the observation... anyway I think it's also slightly less likely that her trousers will get torn off than a jacket.

I was always under the impression that one should wear it over the layer closest to your skin that you aren't going to be removing...on the grounds that it would be well disppointing to get caught on one just as you took off your fleece on the way up...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avalanche Workshop
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, I ski with an F1 (same shape as the X1)...I've found it very comfortable, and not had a problem falling. I do keep the the waist strap quite tight. It's not so great with a harness and/or touring pack tho.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski,

Good point. Don't position it over any boney area as hard plastic and bones don't mix. Not had a problem with a harness or backpack but the M1/M2 is rather slimline compared to others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, I think it is partly the pack, and my powder skirt/jacket that pushes it round. But surely it should cope with that... it starts at the front and then heads to the left... always. Never had this problem with a ski club M1/2
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother,

Quote:

it starts at the front and then heads to the left

I wear mine at the side (as it shows on the digram on the machine).

I think the reason it's a pain is that by the time the harness and racksack waist belts have hadd a squabble there's not much room for the transciever. This only gets to be a problem when skinnng, when I'm usually hot and irritable anyway !

BTW the pack is a Mountain Equipment Solitude, and the harness is a DMM Alpine. I think the harness is probably the root cause.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmmm I meant F1. Mrs P has a new F1 from last year, replacing my old Pieps.

What I was trying to say, but Chateaux Braine-Space prevented, was, you should hold on to the x1 for a little longer if you can... new developments in beepers are coming a long way with the Pulse, S1 etc...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, The pulse looks interesting - the main advantage seems to be to other people who get buried with you if you die, but if they are not going to use the pulse function in the US, (where I do a fair amount of skiing) as some have suggested - may be of limited use at 50% extra cost. Not sure I trust ortofons any more after reading around about the x1....
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, wait for the S1 then... Davidof may have more news about it's release date, they've cancelled it once that's all I know.

I'm not 100% convinced about the Pulse, if I was hanging upside down so the Pulse wasn't right next to my skin and gave a false low reading I might not get dug out first!! Too many gimmicks for me to trust the first incarnation.

If you have the money to spend, why not get an ABS pack and reduce your chances of ever having to rely on the x1? I'm sure you could do a descent enough job making the x1 comfortable... try sticking neoprene on the straps, it'll become grippy and soft...

My next big purchase will be ABS or perhaps an Avalanche Ball.
latest report
parlor, Why would you assume you'd be first to be searched for? wink
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've got to cook dinner Wink
snow report
parlor, seem to be some good ABS deals on german websites...
ski holidays
I have an F1 and wear it quite high under my left arm and have never had a problem. When I tested an X1 I found it amazingly quick and intuitive to within 1m of the burial then had a disaster pinpointing within that area. Thsi may have been pilot error though.
ski holidays
fatbob, Thanks. That position obviously works for you and ski, but it was the thing creeping round to the side which winged my ribs. I don't think I am going to stop falling anytime soon... I probably need one of those Sumo suits you can hire for parties...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy