Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done the train from lyon->alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering St Sorlin (les Sybelles) this year (thanks to one of the pms from my last thread) but the taxi from lyon is astronomical (£100 per person return) so wondering about the train lyon part dieu-> st jean du maurienne.

Anyone done it?
Any tips?
Any tips on st sorlin generally for that matter?

Thanks in advance,

aj xx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ajhainey, I've caught the train from Lyon to Bourg St Maurice a few times go to www.sncf.com and you'll find details of regional trains for Rhone-Alpes (TER) it'll probably take about 3 hrs and you possibly will have to change at Chambery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajhainey, I went there in February and am going again this year (driving though). I put a report in which is here. There are definitely buses running up to St Sorlin from the train station at St Jean, the timetable will be on their website or I guess you could take a taxi. After my horrendous descent last year (it took 7 hours) I'm thinking of leaving my car in the valley and taking a bus.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
has any one done lyon to Bourg st maurice. how long does it take?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, 3 1/2 hrs but the trains are few and far between.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajhainey, looks like there are plenty of trains, some direct, some change at Chambery. Seems to be around 2.5hrs . Much cheaper than €100 each I imagine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100,
Agree with that, its further than you think for the train... we flew into Chambery and then got a car for VT and the car-hire negates the saving of the Chamberry flight. I'd rather get the train from the UK for around £140.... straight to Moutier/BSM and then up the valleys on the bus
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100, I think you can do it by bus. From Grenoble airport there is a bus that goes that way and another that comes in from Lyons airport (might even be the same one continuing). There will be info on Grenoble airport site nearer the time. But heh this is France it will probably be a couple of days before the season starts Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used Altibus from the Lyon airport with no problems.
http://www.altibus.com/

They leave from the top floor of Lyon airport and have an easy to find desk. Rates were reasonable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used the train and the bus from Lyon but if there is a few of us it is always cheaper and quicker to rent a car between us - even though we don't really use it during our skiing week.

Bear in mind though that we only need to drive as far as Bourg St Maurice so we never really have any nasty climbs in the snow to deal with
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The train is the easy part (E34.50 if anyone else plans to do it this year, times work with the easyjet flights) - was mainly wondering about the airport->train station, and also the best way to get up to saint sorlin.

Reports of the road up to sain sorlin are pretty dire Kieran hence avoiding the car hire route Sad Can't find any saint sorlin bus timetables but I guess they probably run in time with the trains so might be a good option.

Anyone taken the bus from lyon airport to lyon part dieu station? Is it a coach (i.e easy ski storage) or a normal passenger bus?

aj xx
p.s For those wondering about the bus to Bourg/moutiers etc by the way we have used that and it is fine - although watch the timings on bank holidays!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajhainey, the bus is a navette, shuttle service, takes about 1/2 hr, there's a bus info desk in the main terminal, there are also regular caoches to Chambery/Grenoble from St Expury but never used those.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy