Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche awareness talks

Poster: A snowHead
arranged by SCGB, Times Online. Snow+Rock and Swiss Tourism at various venues around teh country

More details here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good spot..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...and look - the second speaker is our lord and master! snowHead

(Actually I don' think it is, but they share the same name...)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have they shared the same room?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ne one else going to CG then ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, I very much doubt it as ours was unaware of the other until I mentioned him to him (IYSWIM) at the event that must not be named. The other one is actually the son-in-law of Nigel (who will I guess be doing the main presentation).

ski, doubt it, as I've already seen it (well I assume Nigel says pretty much the same thing each time) at Gressoney last year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Everyone's started talking in code: CG, IYSWIW, "the event that must not be named".

I'm off to GCHQ to contact Q about OO7 to see that he's equipped with the latest avalanche ejection pants.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, would you say that are worth going to for someone like me, that at the moment restricts off-piste to the area between or besides pistes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, "the event that must not be named" is the xxxx (sorry, just can't bring myself to say it), (but can probably also be applied to the Ski Club AGM).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, Sorry - trying to save typing. CG = Covent Garden . 'We are born with a finite number of keystrokes - when you use them all up, you die'
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, if you've not had any avalanche awareness training at all (lecture, read a book, on the hill, whatever), then I think it's a good idea if you're doing any off piste at all. Remember that it's not only what you're skiing on, but what's above you (both snow condition and shape of terrain) that's important. If you never venture more than 3m off the piste it's probably not going to be really useful (other than for general interest), but crossing 50+m gaps between pistes could possibly get you into potentially dangerous areas.

My only concern with these types of talks is that they make you think you know more than you actually do. I've probably had 1/2 doz little talks (mostly on hill), but I would still be vary wary about assessing an unskied slope by eye, as to whether it's likely to be safe or a deathtrap - experience really is the key. Of course you can never be 100% sure of anything - witness the number of guides who die in avalanches each year.

If You See What I Mean...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro - have a look at this. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray, for what it's worth I'd thoroughly recommend any talk on avalanches. I've mentioned it before, but Colin Fraser's book 'The Avalanche Enigma', later published as 'Avalanches and Snow Safety' (originally published by John Murray in 1966) is my most treasured book on snow-related stuff. Brilliant book, well worth searching for via 2nd-hand book channels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, PhillipStanton, GrahamN, thanks for the advice - much appreciated. It sounds like I should try and do it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro - it is, after all, free.
snow report
I found that a little avalanche knowledge scared the wits out of me but that as I've learned a bit more, I've become a bit more relaxed in certain situations, and have the ability to avoid (most of the time anyway Confused ) really scary situations
snow report
In the equipment section rob provides a link to Henrys avalanche talks who are doing a UK tour for anybody who can make them.
www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
In the equipment section rob provides a link to Henrys avalanche talks who are doing a UK tour for anybody who can make them.
www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/

They also do private talks - an idea for a snowHeads event?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy