Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Lifts for Tignes / Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Tignes Palafour Chair Lift
There are four new lifts scheduled for the French mega-domain, Espace Killy this season.
Tignes Palafour F 6-CLD Doppelmayr
Val d'Isère PyramidesF 4-CLD Poma
Val d'Isère Signal F 1-SL Montaval
Val d'Isère Cugnai F 4-CLF Montaval
Info from www.lift-world.info

The replacement of the Palafour IMV is great news, I hated the slow twin 3(?) man chairs, always seemed to be breaking down, will speed up getting to the main runs.

Not sure why they're replacing the Pyramides drag with a detachable and not the Cugnai. Done Cugnai a few times and always enjoyed it but it was a long cold lift, seem to remember that the first bit of the run is quite steep. Only ever done Signal once when taken down an off piste bowl after traversing further up the valley towards the Col d'Isere, one of the first off piste runs I ever did in powder, but the drag is long and slow and only seems to do one not inspiring run, I assume the lift is for the off-piste.

Back to Pyramides, why replacy this with a quad, doesn't really do anything the run from up there unless I'm missing something? The Signal is the longer of the two existing drags.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From a pistesking only point of view.

If i recall correctly, Cugnai leads to a reasonably uninteresting place. A short bit of steep moguls, then flat stuff too flat to be of any use. Amazing they upgrade it, it was one of the quietest lifts I hit. Incredibly straight into the sun too, couldn't take my sunglasses off really, with my eyes closed ;P

Replacement of the 2x3 man palafour should have happened a decade ago, so behind the times for an entry lift to be so crap.

Signal i believe I had, took some lunch in it... "teleski dificile" Very Happy
Pyramides? was a twin drag right? always good to upgrade that NehNeh

Taking into account I skiied Espace killy 3 days, this news doesn't warm me up to return. Too many interesting places served by total utter crap dogslow endless lifts. I fear subzero temperatures! (it was 10 OVER zero, and i got cold towards Aguile Percee coming from brevieres after doing la sache.....)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All these are to ski off piste- cugnai - Cugnai lift and theGrand Vallon- pyramides and signal
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The new Cugnai chair is meant to be much shorter covering only the steeper upper part of the old chair's route so probably no need for a detachable. Access will be by a new trail from the top of the Glacier lift.

They're also planning to replace the Col drag lift in the Fornet valley with a chair. Once that's done they'll shut down the old Vallon bubble.

Details of the plans were published in last November's STVI news letter here : http://www.stvi-valdisere.com/en/infos.php in the Projets : 2006-2008 section. Unfortunately the "English" version is written in French.

The other major change for the area this season is a new hands free lift pass system.

Martin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ronald, There seems to me a marked difference between the two resorts. Val d'Isere has invested alot and wisely over the past few years, as evidenced by the improvements to the le Fornet area being done this year and as reported by martinday - there are not many slow lifts on that side (Mont Blanc and Marmottes being the obvious remnants). Val d'Isere also seems to have committed significant amounts to artificial snow generation too. Tignes appears to be investing much more slowly; I am always impressed by the plans shown at the botom of the underground funicular at Val Claret, but am also impressed that year after year so little of the plans have been implemented. Sorry, this might come across as prejudiced against Tignes and lacking in understanding of ski infrastructure economics, but the contrast is striking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nlinesw4, That would explain a hell of a lot concerning my impression. I was Tignes based, thus always had to enter through that side and lift system. (And return)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think a lot of Val d'Isere's investment has been to help them get the 2009 World Alpine Skiing Championship (I think they tried for 2005 or maybe 2007 but didn't get it). The Mont Blanc and Marmottes lifts are due to be replaced in the next year or two as well according to the STVI.

Martin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of nice fast new lifts. Have a lot of new pistes been created? or will the existing ones just be even more crowded?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think we're being entirely fair to Tignes.

In the last couple of years.

Tommeuses - now an 8 Man !

Grattalau - replacement of possibly the coldest lift in the alps
Tichot - goes up to Grattalau

Merle Blanc (I think)

The two new 'access' lifts from Lavachet.

But no, Frosty the Snowman, new pistes have not been created Sad Which means the amount of off-piste has not been decreased snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My impression is that both resorts have invested lots of money on new and upgraded lifts. For the last few winters the bottom of the Tignes funicular has had a huge map showing which lifts are being upgraded and when over a several year period. I have not seen a web-based copy of the map.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adrian, it used to be on the Tignes website, but like martinday found only on the french version - I don't knmow if it's still there, but they do haev a tendency to put things back but I agree with ski that there has been a lot of significant work in Tignes of late, but the updating of Palafour is long over due and I wish they'd get round to sorting the Tufs chair as well. But hey it must cost millions to do these things!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to http://www.valdisere.com/gb/domaine/description/nouveaute.php the Laisinant detachable 6 seater chair that opened last winter in Val d'Isere, cost 4.3 million €.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adrian

Maybe the "snow plan" on this web page is the map of Tignes upgrades you had in mind?
http://www.tignes.net/GB_STGM.html Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tom.lorenc, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead Useful from the start wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tom.lorenc, yes thats the one - pity it's not in English and explaining why they don;t do things in the order of the plan.
snow conditions
tom.lorenc, Thanks for the link. I had in mind that the earlier dated items were not shown on the map in the Funicular, but it was 8 months ago when I last saw it. Must remember to take my camera to Tignes some time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy