Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS Mens Downhill/SG in Tignes 13-17th Nov

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just stumbled across the fact that there are 2 mens downhill races and a super-G during that week which would make a great excuse to a) have a well earned break, b) watch an FIS race live and c) possibly get a few miles under the skis early season. However:

1) Where to stay? I guess Tignes will be pretty dead????
2) Whats the snow like at this time of the year, i'm guessing good on the glacier though any chance of skiing back to Val Claret? Not looking for crystal ball predicitions, just historical average likelihood of a return to resort...
3) Is it going to be a major pain in the a*se to see the events if they are based on the glacier which i think they are?

Any advice welcome, trying to make this a cheap week away, I can do flights for 2 adults and a 2yr old for less than £290 including a weeks car rental which is not bad at all......

Cheers
David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skinutter wrote:
1) Where to stay? I guess Tignes will be pretty dead????
2) Whats the snow like at this time of the year, i'm guessing good on the glacier though any chance of skiing back to Val Claret? Not looking for crystal ball predicitions, just historical average likelihood of a return to resort...
3) Is it going to be a major pain in the a*se to see the events if they are based on the glacier which i think they are?

1. Quiet, but not dead by any means. I've stayed in Val Claret for a week in November during the last couple of years, and I'm going out for another week this year on the 18th. There are a number of shops, bars and restaurants open, and enough people around for a bit of nightlife in the evening. There are quite a few local ski clubs who drive to Tignes for the day, so the funicular, the ski lifts on the Grand Motte and the Panoramic restaurant are all very busy. I really like the atmosphere around the resort at this time of year - full of anticipation, with lots of keen and pro skiers around.

2. Only expect the lifts on the Grand Motte glacier to be open, although I've been before in October when an early snowfall meant it was possible to ski back to Val Claret at 2100m down the 'Double M' (off) piste. Also expect that a large proportion of the terrain on the Grand Motte to be taken by race clubs who are allocated lanes for GS training.

3. The SuperG/DH course runs from shortly below the cable car and curves to the left, running parrallel to the Rosolin draglifts for the bottom half of the course. It's very easy to get to the side of the race track and see just about all of the (relatively short course) from most viewing points.

If you're looking for accommodation, the Hotel Curling in Val Claret (run by Crystal) is open in November, and will have other British skiers staying there as it is used by snoworks.co.uk as their base for race training courses. It's a short walk from the funicular and several bars and restaurants are open nearby.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a couple of ladies SuperG and mens GS the following week (20th - 23rd) as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Rob - sounds promising....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinutter, If you've never seen a major race, then it's a must. I might pop along one day myself, however FIS is division 3 in football terms - still awsome skiers though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
good spot Easiski....just re-checked the calendar and looks like i clciked the worng tab. I thought it was a WC event - looks like its not. Confused Shocked

I saw free practise in Lake Louise a few years ago which was great, even shared a piste with the 'star's as the bombed back down wixy-waxy (I think that was the name) as the snow cover was poor and they only trained on the top section while the cannons worked overtime but would love to see a proper event...

who knows the the cover is good i might be tempted anyway - gagging for a bit of skiing!!!!! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FIS races are division 3 as easiski says but last year watched some top skiers racing in the Super G and in the Downhill at Tignes. Joel Chenal, Olympic silver medal as well as racers from the national team of France. Good races.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy