Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiing (touring), mountain biking, walking/trekking, driving the car all give me the possibility to get lost.

I have a simple GPS but not as many Austrian maps have GPS markings (when compared to the UK) so was thinking of about getting a new GPS. I've seen some that also enable streetmaps to be used on the same device (although I doubt it will match the performance of a dedicated street navigator such as a tom tom. Which GPS should I go for and why?

There will be times when the GPS will just be a back up to my map reading (e.g. Treking / walking / Ski touring) and times when I want to follow a downloaded route with a map as backup (mountain Biking, in the car).

Any Inspector Gadgets out there who are keyed up on GPS's that could give me some advice ?

Was thinking of going for a Garmin.
http://www.garmin.com/uk/outdoors/outdoors.htm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a bluetooth GPS off ebay approx £40.00 link it with PDA with memory map software or the equivalent. Good for walking, mountainbiking, Skiing and if you sail during the summer nautical charts can be uploaded.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£40.00 looks cheap (although I haven't got a pda).

This is much more expensive but seems to cover all my needs ....

http://gpsinformation.us/gps60c/g76Creview.html

Quote:
What is our Overall Opinion of the GPSmap 76C(x)?
These units are a superior product overall. They provide a complete Car Navigator feature and Hiking GPS features as well as a useful set of Marine navigation features. While it is not as inexpensive as the GPS-V and some other competitors, we think the color screen is about the best we have seen for out-in-the-sunshine use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all, first post. I can make some comments regarding GPS'.
I use a Garmin GPSMAP276C in my boat with Bluecharts and in the truck with City Select autorouting. I have a HP 4500 with a Garmin GPS 10. My first GPS was a Magellan Platinum.

I still own the Magellan but no longer use it, I found the North American maps and autorouting sorely lacking when I bought it several years ago and switched to Garmin. This unit has a compass and barometer which give height and direction without reference to the GPS satellites. A normal GPS needs to be moving to provide a direction. Both of these I will get on my next handheld. With the compass enabled battery life was greatly reduced.

The 276C is a great unit for both modes that I use it in, highly recommended.

I bought the GPS 10 to go with my PDA but for handheld use it is a PITA. It is ok to use where you have somewhere to place the GPS receiver, it is magnetic and works great in a vehicle where you can stick it to the roof. As a handheld it is only good if it sticks to the metal plate in your head. You need 3 hands to use this setup while walking.

My next purchase will be a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx it has a colour screen, the compass and barometer and works with the autorouting software. It appears to be a good all round unit.

In my humble opinion, BUY A COLOUR SCREEN! They are much easier to read.

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregs, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Hoppo, I am a 52 year old displaced Brit. We moved to Canada when I wuz 11. Better skiing here I think.

Greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy