Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current conditions in Pyrenees

Poster: A snowHead
Dypcdiver, you must try harder Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think its coming check out from 108 hours on.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/pyreneessnow_full.shtml

If this happens its the mother load
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well spotted vonce66
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what is sad, is that I am watching it that much. Sad part is 6 day forecast are notorious for being unreliable. However it is something to watch and keep me sane
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have started to check the grandvalira site on a daily basis - that will change to hourly after christmas Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Smokin Joe, when are youoff to Andorra then?> and what does that page say, It asks me to log in and I'm not a member
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It shows over a meter falling next tuesday and wednesday.

I leave Jan 2nd
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, 4 February to Soldeu.

You have to be a paid up member to get that page but its basically forecasting about 50cms
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=2 Shows a dump at the end of next week. Their temps are usually higher than I'd expect so ignore that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't know if anyone has seen these already but there is certainly some skiing to be had in Andorra at the moment!

http://www.vallnord.com/Galeria_apertura_pistas.asp

Looks ok to me anyway! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they give and then take away.....already backing off the snow next week.

At least the resorts are starting to open some runs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
current condictions are 60% of stations closed, in the opened ones 90% man-made snow and only 20-30% of pistes running.

An in addition 1.000.000 of crazy catalans that can't ski the past week holidays (no runs opened) going up. The forecasts claims for a big change the next week, with E - NE currents that can bring nice dumps, BUT this situations are very very impredictable, a few degrees changing in currents and we only will have cold but dry. WE hope for a nice christmas present, but not sure.....

AND if the E-NE currents will come with insufficuient "power", maybe Andorra don't take a big part, only few snow showers......

I repeat, the movements of High pressures are interesing in the point of view of Catalonian-andorra Pyrenees, better than actual static situation, BUT it need a monitoring and wait for 1-2 days forecasts at much
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For all who are interested, They(Grandvalira) sent me this

"The season has started in Grandvalira. The low temperatures combined with the relentless activity of the snow cannons means that it is finally possible to open 30% of the lift systems (and with very good conditions) this weekend. The largest ski area in the Pyrenees will open a total of 25 lifts and 19 slopes throughout the resort from Saturday the 16th of December.
The price of the ski pass will be 21? for adults and 15? for children, and the passes will be valid for one day only.

It will be open:8km of slopes between Grandvalira-El Tarter and Grandvalira-Soldeu, also will open 11,5 km at Grandvalira- Grau Roig and 7,5 km at Grandvalira-Pas de la Casa. Grandvalira-Canillo will be closed.

Because of the small amount of slopes open, there will be a set limit of 6000 peoplein the Grandvalira-Encamp, Grau-Roig and Pas de la Casa sectors and a set limit of 2000 people in the Grandvalira-El Tarter and Grandvalira-Soldeu sectors.

For those clients who wish to join in adventure activities, you will find the Activity Centreat the base of Grau Roig where you can enjoy a day of archery, trekking, Orientation, ARVA, Paintball, Tibetan Bridges, Tirolines, Climbing and Dog Sledging.

Despite the difficult start to the season, Grandvalira is now able to offer its clients their first snow experiences of the winter. It is thanks to the intense work of the technical teams that the slopes are in the good condition they are in now, they have made sure that the first runs of the season will be completely safe". Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Confused Confused Confused First snow experiences??.....maybe, first rocky & ice experiences Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It looks like its so unpredictable, changing daily
ski holidays
This meditarrean situations are very unpredictable.
It can change only 12 hours before.

In 2001 decembers, it was a big dump (snow line at sea level, and amounts of 30-70cm at 200-500m) in Catalonia with 100cm in the oriental Pyrenees in 12 hours. And in the same morning the meteorological services did't know what was happening yet!!
latest report
It is depressing Sad
snow conditions
It's been snowing in Pas today. Looks like another 10cm or so. Very Happy Keep it coming please.
ski holidays
any one know what is happening in the up there?
snow report
Right, I have just got back from Soldeu, I have had four days of somewhat restricted skiing, however I have to say that I enjoyed it.
I met some friends at lunch time today who had skied this morning and they reported that the 6 man Solana chair had opened.
I would say that 20% of the runs are open in the Soldeu/El Tarter area, a few pebbles are showing through in a few places, but I have not done any serious damage to my skis. The snow cannons are running day and night and it looks like more of the mountain will be open by tomorrow. Taking into account what they are up against the piste maintainance is brilliant. The off piste is very restricted Twisted Evil We had 1 cm of snow whilst we where there Crying or Very sad
I am not going back until after Kings (6th Jan) when I hope the snow has arrived and the crowds have left. Cool
latest report
metalhead132, AlTom, Happy christmas, and I hope it snows for you soon. Very Happy
snow conditions
happy christmas easiski

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-12-06 11:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
metalhead132, AlTom, Happy christmas, and I hope it snows for you soon. Very Happy

Thanks, happy christmas to you too..... The best present could be a 1m dump.... but the forecast aren't good.

We don't ski since L2A....I'm very despressed...Normally after december and christmas holidays we have skied 10 days or more Sad Sad ......... Overall is the worst december of the last 10years, because the bad conditions are generally, all resorts Sad Sad Sad

I also have some free days after "peak holidays", until 10th, and maybe if the conditions don't change we think in another short trip to the alps..... We will see...

Now I'm totally crazy looking for some snow, As much as I'm thinking in take a plane to Vancouver and then I will see, Shocked Shocked Whistler have a base of 230cm!! And snowfall acumulated since november of 650cm!! Shocked Shocked Shocked "Niño" effects Mad Mad

Are here other crazy people to take a plane this saturday to the (actually) snowparadise for 10 days???? jajaja Laughing Laughing
latest report
Anu updates for the Pyrenees? People are suggesting that the first week of Jan will see new snow in the alps...is this likely to happen in the Pyrenees too? Please say YES!
snow conditions
smudger, my advice is stay away from Metcheck Sad Don't know if any of our GFS'ers can give a more optimistic take on things.
snow report
No signs of change in the Pyrenees..... Sad Sad Sad The new snow predictes in the Alps maybe can be 5cm at much! in Pyrenees, or nothing..... Or even worse, the forecasts says warmer temperatures so it means to me that the snow cannons can't running. And after the Christmas and New year crowds, you will have more rocks than snow...... Sorry, but its the true today..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It can be the firsts year of last 10 that I don't ski in december with a minimal conditions (I don't want ski in nursery slopes, or only 1 or 2 runs opened and thousands of people).

for example, I know that Baqueira Hotel are calling to their guests talking about conditions and recomending: "Not come, please, we will refund 100% of your money and reservation, but not come, please".... You can imagine the conditions....
snow report
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 29-12-06 12:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The worst condictions since 1994!!!

I hope before 15th January the conditions will change. It seems that it can snow a bit on January 2.

Maybe between January 10 and 15 we can see the first significant snowfall,.....pray for it!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For now the "best" conditions are in Boí-Taüll and Cauterets (in French Side)

A couple of pics of Boí (If this is de best, imagine others!!!...)

snow conditions
The hope is this

snow report
metalhead132, the cover on the open runs looks quite nice. Clearly, like here, just needing more low down, but you shouldn't be discouraged. BTW you had the best of our conditions so far this season. Very Happy
ski holidays
I am supposed to be flying to Font Romeu on Jan 2nd. Its all man made snow, half the runs are meant to be open, but heard reports that its really bad. Should I just cancel the trip? Can any one tell me if it is any good?
snow report
easiski wrote:
metalhead132, the cover on the open runs looks quite nice. Clearly, like here, just needing more low down, but you shouldn't be discouraged. BTW you had the best of our conditions so far this season. Very Happy

But not be confused, these resort has now the best conditions around pyrenees. And the 2nd photo it's the highest run in the Pyrenees (2750 highest lift arrival, until 2500m). So these one holds the upper snow of November, that the snowline was around 2300-2400m.

Boi has the resort base at 2050m, and in the photos the snowbase is "nothing". So, you can think in the 80% of the resorts that the bottom is around 1700m, and top around 2400-2500m... I said you man-made snow 100%. For example, Grandvalira has more than 1000 (yes!! Shocked Shocked one thousand!!) snow cannons.

In Pyrenees these start of the season was the worst of the lasts 15 years (before this, just, I don't know.... wink ) And maybe if the fall wasn't be rainy such these one (for water reserves) or if we haven't snow cannons, I'm sure that the only slope in ALL The Pyrenees skiable is the runs showed in the photo Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

And easiski, for sure, worse, very worse conditions than L2A.
latest report
vonce66 wrote:
I am supposed to be flying to Font Romeu on Jan 2nd. Its all man made snow, half the runs are meant to be open, but heard reports that its really bad. Should I just cancel the trip? Can any one tell me if it is any good?

Font-Romeu has a bad orientation (mainly S- SE-SW and some, always icy, N) and altitude, so in terms of holding snow it's not good. But in the other hand there are a lot of resorts in a 50km radius that can be occuped for one week (in actual conditions, in good snow conditions you can spend one season in the zone). Now Grandvalira has the best conditions in terms of opened km (about 60km) and Vallnord 40km more.
Andorra it's not far from font Romeu, taking the route to Bourg-Madame - Col du Puymorens - Pas de la Casa in less than 1/2hour you're there.

The neighbour resorts of Les Angles I know that have some runs to spend a day there. And the catalan Masella (20minutes from Font-Romeu) has opened a couple of runs.

The decision of come or not it's difficult the conditions are bad, but if you come and want you will ski.
snow conditions
Some photos from VALL DE NÚRIA today (little resort in Eastern Pyrenees, catalan side).

Resort base 1950m:

And a view of the the south face of Finestrelles (2825m) next to Puigmal (not shown) Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The photos are taken by a mate of a catalan forum http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?id=20523

Despite all of this some friends skied in Grandvalira, Masella, Port del Comte, Les Angles, etc etc and all said that the snow is better than they thougt and they spended a good day skiing 9 to 16h, also better than thinked..
snow report
IF there has been any snow I am told that Eyne (eyne-cambredaze) holds it longer than Font Romeu / P2000.
I have found that Les Angles is better for the long runs and has a more snow-sure 'bottom' than P2000.

BUT to echo comments on another thread. P2000 and neighbours can be great at Easter.
Good Luck

John
latest report
AlTom's photos:
1)

2)
ski holidays
metalhead132, AlTom, Is that a beach in photo one Shocked I can see a lake, are they windsurfing? Shock
ski holidays
No, in winter is frozen. And the big building is a Sanctuary. You need to take a cog railway, no roads up there. Not windy conditions to do windsurfing, and you have "Costa Brava" at only 100km......
ski holidays
Just back from Arinsal. Vallnord resorts are officially about 50% open...but actually a bit less really if you don't count contiguous runs as 2-3 runs.

Arcalis: decent cover really, but busy and getting lumpy\icy in the afternoon. Only really 1-and-a-half long reds and a blue open. But nice ones.
Pal: Not as good cover as Arcalis. hard and icy when I was there 3 days ago. Carnage on the steep. More variety of runs available though. Getting lumpy in places on some runs though.
Arinsal: personally very disappointed with the limited runs here. Long straight-aways that are all very similar. Well-groomed but hard (and ridiculously lumpy at the ski-school runs). Got very icy about 3 days ago....not sure how it is now. Link to Pal is open....but only to lower pal runs and there is no way to link up to main Pal area.

A few words of warning:
Ski early...grooming good and crowds less
Pal bus....didn't seem to be a ski bus to la massana from Arinsal...very frustrating with so few runs in Arinsal
Hotels....jesus, there are some sh*t hotels in Arinsal. No end of complaints about no hot water (Solana), crap food (Montane\Princesa parc), queues for dinner (Princesa!)
Surf bar.....argie barbeque that has to be seen to be believed. I had a half a cow, my girlfriend had the other half. If you stay at the Montane, you'll need a night here to keep your strength up!

All-in-all, there is some decent skiing to be had, with Arcalis tops for conditions and Pal for variety. had a good trip....but won't be rushing back to Andorra. Back to cervinia\zermatt for us, where the snow is metres deep and there are runs 17km long!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy