Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm riders past and present... your thoughts please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In view of the Forestry Commissions proposals to remove 2 ski tows and 2 chairlifts as environmental improvements, various ideas are being thrown into the debate which hopefully can be refined into a small number off alternatives ranging from merely more palatable to a reorganisation that could improve the overall Snowsports experience.

I would love if you would consider the re-worked piste map below. This is based on accepting CML's premise that there is a need to rationalise uplift, while seeking to maintain a better spread of lifts, with scope for future utilisation of parts of removed lifts to double up lifts higher up the mountain, thus providing increased capacity on more snow sure areas:

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But that map shows No. 10 (Ciste chair) and No. 11 (West Wall chair). I'm not quite up to speed on this, but aren't those the remaining chairs (the only chairs now) that are planned for removal?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should add that the Daylodge Poma is shown as a hatched line because the map is assuming that the Aonach Poma will be enhanced. The map assumes a last resort to choose the AP over the DLP. However it would be highly deseriable to maintain it as completness of the ski area depends on the ability for interchange between the Ciste and Cas using the DLP and Aonach Poma, it allows greatest flexability of serving the most terrain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
But that map shows No. 10 (Ciste chair) and No. 11 (West Wall chair). I'm not quite up to speed on this, but aren't those the remaining chairs (the only chairs now) that are planned for removal?

Yes. The above map is based on a premise of maintaining uplift and access redundancy throughout the area by keeping a better spread off lifts thus avoiding the FCS situation where some pistes would be served by 3 or more lifts, while one whole sector (the ciste) would be served by just one. The argument for the above is that the wrong lifts are being removed not that all lifts should stay.

The Current Map

snow conditions
 brian
brian
Winterhighland, I particularly like lift A Very Happy

The only thing that would concern me is what if the lower Aonach is broken and it's too windy for the WW chair ?

Would it be possible for either the M1 (or it's double that you've added) to have a higher loading point ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland, Looks more sensible. It's a long time since I worked there...but some questions;

Removal the Fiacall T Bar - does this only allow access to the ridge via the Fiacall Ridge T-Bar - your map looks as if it can be accessed from the Cas ?

and

Are you proposing to keep the car park and ticket office on the Ciste side ? I expect most people will access the mountain from the Ciste, so you could remodve the Ciste chair ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The suggestion is made (in another place!) that the extended Aonach could alternatively load above the base station, as the west wall Poma has been adatped to do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, Yes all the runs served by the Fiacaill Tow can be accessed via the Fiacaill Traverse from the top of the Coire Cas Ski Tow.

The Ciste Carpark is very definitely staying, the construction of the funicular actually put a not inconsiderable dent in the capacity of the Cas Carpark, increased usage by sightseers/funicular visitors in winter as well as by climbers, walkers and ski tourers mean it's now necessary to park in the Ciste even when the ski area is not esp busy.

If the ticket office building is removed you lose the toilet facilities too which really isn't acceptable (nor is the state their in!). I believe the building should be put to an alternative use that will generate income to help maintain it and the provision of such fundamental basic facilities as toilets (watch this space!). The shuttle bus should operate from infront of the building rather than the end of the link road, so people are queuing by the facilities in the Ciste rather than at the end of the road oblivious to the facilities that are then hidden by the hillside.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, once again, very sensible and arguable suggestions. Looks pretty good to me. Lets hope Bob Kinnaird sees it this way too. If he's allowed to, that is!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy