Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual travel insurance

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, If anybody nicks my old atomic r11s - I get an excuse to buy something new... I agree about your priorities.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Update to my post above.

A director from Dog Tag has just phoned me up to understand what happened; apologise and has made an offer to put things right. Which is as much as one could ask for.

I must admit to being very impressed with this - it does at least prove that they care - and that if things go wrong they're willing to look at them.

Full marks for effort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton, I wonder which sH works for Dog Tag . . . or are we being . . . watched Cool
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, do you have a link for the DSV one ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, try this:

http://www.ski-online.de/content.php?folder=2000

It's only in German, I'm afraid. It also gives you membership of the DSV and quite a nice mag every month. I got the price wrong, though - it's EUR 43 per person as a couple. Still not bad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, I suspect the latter, as I post on another forum, for holiday property owners , and when we mention problems with holiday rental sites, they quite often conatct us to sort it out, or explain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm with Direct Travel Family Worldwide Annual - Just claimed them this year after being stuck in Shetland for 2 days because of fog.

Only problem I had was getting a claim form sent out, took 3 phone calls. Once claim was in no problems and received a £200 cheque which covers the insurance for the next 2 years Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sage, good to know!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, ta very much Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, I supplement with Carte Neige which does cover h-p. In general I've found it excellent - and it's worth it for the Priority Pass lounge access alone. You also get accelerated air miles collection.

We travel quite often - maybe 50 or so return flights a year each? So that's (minimum) 100 x £5.00 (glass of wine at the airport bar) x 2 = £1,000 - so getting unlimited free wine for £250 is a bit of a bargain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, that was my plan as well, but when I questioned Amex they said that if you were injured when skiing off-piste the Amex policy wouldn't cover any medical expenses even if recovery was covered by Carte Neige. I was disappointed by this as the Priority Pass would have been nice, and the Amex policy also includes car hire cover (including insurance excess) so getting cars from Geneva would be a bit cheaper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Halifax insurance, £78 worldwide cover.

A good tip is to swap odd ski's with other people so they don't match and put them far apart.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used skiinsurance.co.uk last season which I found via Natives and made two claims. Both where for modest medical expenses (about £150 each) as the result of skiing injurys, x-rays that sort of stuff. They made a quick pay outs on both occasions. However I don't think policys are really tested to the limit on these sort of occasions where its a small amount involved in a straight forward prang on piste but I was pleased they dealt with everything quickly. I only noticed the "must phone us to have a doctor appointed to you" clause after I'd had the treatment and paid up at the doctors and was worried they may wriggle a bit but it did'nt happen, very happy . I'm shopping now for a new policy for next year, may use the previous insurer, has anyone else had experiences of skiinsurance.co.uk ???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
PhillipStanton, I wonder which sH works for Dog Tag . . . or are we being . . . watched Cool

From the conversation I had the guy struck me as an enthusiast, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hang out here in some guise...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the help and advise. I have taken a policy with Dogtag, partly as I had one in the past and partly with their response to PhillipStanton,

Thanks again

JP
latest report
PhillipStanton, I'm impressed. Thanks for letting us know.
snow report
Do Brit. companies cover heli-rescue without whingeing? Just curious as if I was writhing in agony in some remote spot I would worry about the £2k bill later.

Best deal in Switzerland is www.rega.ch (not an easy site - you have to wait for the video clip to calm down) which gives annual cover for 24/365 heli-rescue at SFr30/person (and not just for ski accidents). but the small print reveals you either have to be Swiss or resident there.
ski holidays
Another update

A cheque from Dog Tag arrived today.

I must admit to being impressed at the service.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm with online travel group, however having not made a claim (hope i'm not temping fate here) I cannot say how good they are.
I am covered tell December this year so it's look around time then.
latest report
Quote:

I would worry about the £2k bill later

it would need to be a very short chopper ride to cost £2k, Boswell,
snow report
Thread creep - how do you delete a post? Selecting Edit/Delete just gives you delete.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-09-06 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boswell wrote:
pam w,
I'll check this week here in Leysin. The local heli-outfit charges £600/hour for shifting building materials up to our chalet, with a minimum of 15mins, which apparently is a saving on any other method. (New roof goes on tomorrow - dozen skips of stuff sitting outside on the road). Maybe there's a premium for the medical team?

Boswell
ski holidays
We failed to pass muster for the Ski Club "Executive" insurance because of my husband's pre-existing medical conditions (Type 1 Diabetes, Coronorary Heart Disease/bypass). However the brokers they use (P J Hayman) have another policy called "Adventure" which also covers 60 day trips and unlimited winter sports and includes off-piste. That policy is more lenient than the Ski Club one on pre-existing medical conditions (another example of SCGB "ageism"?) and also enables you to take just the medical cover, and cover for activity equipment, and not all the other bits (personal goods, cancellation etc) to reduce the cost. It was expensive - £240 for both of us - and there is a £100 additional excess for claims arising from the pre-existing medical conditions, but it was the only one I could find that would do the job. The Ski Club one, including membership, would have cost as much, even if they had accepted the additional medical risks. For anyone with pre-existing medical problems, the "Adventure" policy is well worth exploring.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,
Just out of interest, checked heli prices. For all our building work yesterday they charged SFr39 (£17) / min, and dumped 17 one-ton bags of waste in 30 mins - not bad going, but not an hourly rate of £600.

Pilot said they charge SFr750 for 1/2 day heliskiining on nearby glacier (Les Diablerets) for 4 pax, so not out-of-sight, but wouldn't exactly do it every day, and I asssume that's one-way.

So the £600 figure looks more like £1000/hour. Down to the Valley hospital in Aigle would be around 5 mins each way, but gettting a stretcher out at each end, paramedics etc. could add up a bit. I think yoiu're right!

That Adventure cover looks good, I wonder how they classify winter sports? Parasailing down the mountain?
snow report
Boswell, there are several levels of winter sports cover, the first just covering cross country, the top one heli skiing and ski touring. we have level 3, which covers everything most of us get up to, including off piste. It was expensive, though no more so than the top ski club version if you had to pay membership. And only the top ski club version allows unlimited skiing and longer trips. The inclusion of pre-existing medical conditions is a real plus. I don't think they would include them for a US trip, but then nobody does for sensible prices. How very exotic, getting your place built by helicopter. Very Happy
snow report
I have renewed with BMC today - £158.00 for the Annual European Alpine & Ski policy. I took their policy last year after having had a 'negative' experience with a Ski Club policy claim. The Ski Club policy paid out just as the matter went legal.

Although I have not had any claim experience with the BMC, dealing with them gives me confidence. They have a very comprehensive policy and are very straightforward. Plus, a real human being on the telephone, who knows what they are talking about and not a Claim Management company in sight!

I do top this up with Carte Neige and a bit on my household policy, to cover more equipment, as the BMC has a maximum £350 limit on any one item. Very Happy
latest report
I've been using these guys for my travel insurance the last few years. Their annual worldwide policy covers my sports and business travels without too many restrictions on what country or how many days and the usual few days of ski/board a year. They do a seperate ski/snowboard policy which supposedly covers heliskiing and parapenting so long as it isn't the main purpose of the trip.

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/
snow report
speed8, I have used them before, and can't remember why I stopped. Website problems I suspect. And it's more expensive the Direct-Travel I think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Primary is fantastic!

www.primaryinsurance.co.uk

£22 with winter sports cover in europe.

A
ski holidays
Anyone doing a ski season might be interested in looking at www.skiinsurance.co.uk and www.fogginsure.co.uk

Fogg do a medical only cover - which inlcludes rescue / repatriation and is £123 for a season in Europe. It doesn't cover travel delay, baggage, etc - but if you're doing a season then it may not be an issue.

Ski Insurance are a little more expensive - £127 for 150 days - but offer an £12.86 option of being able to add two "home visits" back to the UK. This is useful for us as our parents are getting on a bit.
latest report
slikedges,

What's Carte Neige?

I always click to buy the insurance that comes with the season ski pass (as well as being with Direct Travel too).
snow report
Freestyle, .....just in case slikedges is off to Les deux Alpes Toofy Grin ......Carte Neige is really the annual version of the insurance that is sold with weekly ski passes. It looks like you have it already, if you buy it with a season pass. Best to check. The Forfait staff don't normally give you any details with it, but I have the full English version of details & benefits if you want it. Where do buy your season pass?
snow conditions
BernardC, I've never had to claim with BMC insurance (touch wood) but I've heard good things from those who have: pretty quick, no trying to wriggle out of paying. The only (minor) downside is you have to be a member first although this doesn't add a massive amount to the cost and there are other benefits.
snow report
BernardC,

Thanks. The Grand Massif. We got the insurance with the passes cos it seems to make things easier if you are picked up by the medical team - they look at your lift pass to check for the insurance and seem very satisfied if it's there. I guess we have Direct Travel in case we need to be flown back to the UK - plus our other hobbies are diving and hanggliding so we like to be covered! Cool
latest report
Swirly, ....purely for your information, as no doubt it will draw some smart comments here!!!!!, if you are a member of the Eagle Ski Club..(£18 you can access the BMC Insurance.

I became fed up dealing with, a) Bad service, b) automated telephone services, c) waiting 15-20 minutes to speak to a human being, d)eventually speaking to persons of limited mental capacity........

....anyway I opted for the BMC....not an automated telephone service, or Claims Management Company in sight. Speak straightaway to an intelligent human being who is invariably a skier or a climber........enough said?........rant over (temporarily....) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
justapurrin wrote:
I'm sure its a question thats been asked before but I'll ask again.

I am wanting to get some annual travel insurance to cover for all trips snow and non snow related. Probably would want 3 weeks of cover for skiing. Is there anyone better than the rest. Would want to do it as a couple as well but don't know if that is worth while if we're not married.

Thanks for any help from the collective snowHead wisdom. I've had a long hard summer on the farm and am struggling to engage the brain anymore so snow is all that keeps me going now.

Thanks

JP

I have read on several occasions that more than 90% of all ski insurance policies will NOT adequately cover off-piste without a guide. That can include being just a few feet from the edge of a marked run. You need to tread very carefully on this topic.
snow conditions
Whitegold, the mantra among travel insurance underwriters is that the insured should avoid unnecessary risk and act as if they were not insured. Remember, they assume you're stupid. An example of this is leaving skis unattended outside a restaurant... would you do it if they weren't insured? If the answer is "no" then take precautions. If the answer is "yes" then you accept responsibility. Fact is, they'll probably take a view and most will pay out. Regards off piste - of course they know there are grey areas. What they are looking for is eveidence of recklessness... if the avalanche risk is, say, 4 and you venture off on your own and get swept away, well that's reckless. If the established off piste is locally considered safe and you get unlucky... well, that's a genuine misfortune and they'll cover the resultant claims (probably). If you've taken the precaution of hiring a guide... well, they'd view that as someone behaving in a responsible manner. They are getting harder about claims though... books of pure ski & snowboard insurance are well known to "burn" like crazy. If your insurer changes underwriters virtually every year it will tell you that their claims situation is dire. Net result is that they'll be more picky over your claim.

I think we all have to remember that a travel insurance policy is a legal contract. You should read it (boring I know). There's no point in arguing "that's not fair, or I didn't know that" after the event. I've heard of claims being refused due to alcohol related incidents (fights in bars etc) and many get refused where people have failed to disclose pre-existing medical conditions (attempted heart bypass holidays are common). A genuine misfortune to a responsible individual off piste? It'll be covered providing the policy wording says off piste is OK.
latest report
Thanks for all the useful advice.

Gone with the crowd and just booked with direct-travel.

Well at least the web site is encouragingly straightforward, but I guess with insurance the proof is in the Helicopter ride and the phone bill rolling eyes
latest report
My son is going to France at least 3 x over the winter to ski, ski race training, & take part in races, I need to top up our travel insurance to cover this who would you recommend?
snow conditions
snow,

I used Snowcard's Competition policy for my son, when he was doing something similar. Link to Policy descriptions here - http://www.snowcard.co.uk/pages/policy_trips.asp

I found it really hard to find anyone else who would cover racing and training.

I have had no problems with Snowcard - they have been very helpful in trying to tailor policies to fit and paid out promptly on a claim.

They wouldn't cover training and racing on a long-stay basis though. Does anyone have any suggestions for that? I know a few kids planning gap years, schooling abroad, etc, who are having trouble getting insured and would appreciate any advice on that. All the ones I know are doing Nordic racing, so it's pretty low risk (at least compared to everything else that teenagers do rolling eyes )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy