Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere OK run

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing in control, taking into account other slope users, bumps and other factors, what would a good time be to get down the OK run ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4 mins
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I mean, how long, not, say, at 4:30 pm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I timed it once and it took me about 15 minutes I seem to recall. That was skiing at a normal rate, including a couple of brief rest stops to recharge weary legs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4 mins was the total time NOT including the stop halfway down, we stopped the clock when we took a break
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
daehwons,

I think 4 mins could be achievable but the conditions would have to be near perfect. I managed 4 min 40 last (this?) year but that was at the end of a day (less crowded) with weary legs. Beat my previous time (from 1994) of 6 mins !

Would like to think as the first run of the day I'd get nearer to 4 mins, but then again I'll be a few years older, no plans to go back to VDI for a while yet.

Taking a break is cheating !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jean-Claude Killy used to race the Solaise cablecar from the top station to base station, so I guess a respectable time would be beating the Funival (6 minutes, from memory).

Can't say I've achieved that. When I used to test skis we used the OK repeatedly in late April, when there were few people on it, but sadly never timed the runs!

Skiing it responsibly in mid-season, Rob's time seems just right. Buy the man a beer at the cafe at the bottom if you see him.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which one's the OK run?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, Do you mean a good time or a fast time ? snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

masmith, Do you mean a good time or a fast time ?

A fast time becomes a good time only if it's good.

A good time can be had by all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith, was first run of day when we were first to top and hence no traffic to deal with.

Couldn't do it without a break, after the long schuss my legs were on fire and just about to colapse.

Am I right in saying the DH'ers do it in about 2 mins?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daehwons wrote:
Am I right in saying the DH'ers do it in about 2 mins?

Yes, just under that I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
Buy the man a beer at the cafe at the bottom if you see him.

Laughing I'll be there for the weekend of the Men's downhill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, (insert green smilie here)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
About 15 Years ago I tried it a couple the day after a race (so reasonably flat and parts of the barrier still in place). It was almost empty and I managed 3min 35sec excluding a stop.
snow conditions
Sheesh, snowball. I think the length of the course is available on the net, so maybe you could calculate your average speed for us!
ski holidays
snowball, 3.35 is great, where abouts did you stop?
ski holidays
By the big restaurant not far from the bottom where the main piste goes right or you can pass behind the restaurant and do the second, narrower gulley used for some races (more to the right when you look from the finish.
Can't find the length, but seem to remember 2.25 miles (?) could be wrong. But I was doing some turns after the first, flatter half or third, so my path was longer. About 40mph perhaps?
latest report
Did the hahnenkahm in about 20 mins, the lads do it in just over 2!!!!! It was the week after the race and iced up. I have a lot of admiration for them, very,very brave (or foolish) men. I must admit I am not a speed freak, I try and look stylish rather than bombing it!
snow conditions
snowball, that would be Piste G at the bottom.
snow conditions
Yes, I think that sounds right.

Perhaps I should have said that I checked out the run at slower speed (but still quite fast), seeing where I could dare go faster and where take it a bit more carefully, before timing myself.
ski holidays
Snowball, for the Criterium it is just over 3 k (3.1) so the downhillers average 90 k/h (2 minutes). Your average 50 k/h. Vertical 915m.
latest report
snowball,
Quote:

seeing where I could dare go faster and where take it a bit more carefully

After returning home I played the Xbox game "Ski Racing 2006" - this has a 'reasonably' realistic version of the OK run and after mastering it on the Xbox I feel it's equipped me that little bit better to shave some more seconds off the next time I try it for real.

Back to reality, not the xbox, I found that most of the top section down to the left hander just before the first restuarnt could be done flat out, with just a few turns on two steep sections. After that the legs were too tired to go flat out, had to keep standing upright to aid recovery then back into long turns. Choosing the route, particularly on the steeper icy section towards the bottom is crucial.
latest report
Are you sure the racers only do 90kps down the OK (56mph): I was told they average 65mph. And I was sure I read that the World cup track (which starts above the OK start) was over 2 miles (I thought 2 1/4), not 1.9 which 3.1k would be. Are you sure that wasn't for the other, Olympic, run?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 14-09-06 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
masmith, I took those top steep sections straight but possibly not in a tuck. After the first restaurant I too was standing up but took much of it straight.
latest report
Is the OK piste ever quiet enough to go flat out when it is open to the public? From what I can remember of it there are quite a few transitions from gentle to steep, which you will be approaching at high speed but no clear indication of who is skiing below you. I'm all in favour of going a bit quick from time to time, but I think I'd be a bit nervous about going for a really fast run from the top of the mountain to the bottom for fear of getting too close to others skiers on an unsighted section of the piste.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, On the wider, flatter sections I don't see a problem. I make sure I'm a good distance from anybody else, often moving from one side of the piste to the other just to stay in free space. You need to look ahead and plan your route many turns in advance. The key thing is to stay in control and retain the strength to be able to stop quickly if the need arises.
ski holidays
masmith, fair enough. I think my problem would be that travelling at those speeds I'd begin to panic a bit and rationale decision making would go out the window. And I don't think my legs could take the pain!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At what is a blind jump for the racers above the first restaurant I had to slow right down in case someone was underneath. There were other bits I could have gone a bit faster if I had been sure nobody was on the track. I was helped by the netting being still in place along most of the course. It meant only people who deliberately started the course from the top were on it. Except for a while after races (Europa cup in this case)or if it has just been groomed it is too bumpy to go really fast on some parts.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 14-09-06 11:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowball, depends on route and condition. Last two years on short course approximately 3100 m in 2 minutes. In 2003 total 3478 m in 1'58" by Eberharter.
ski holidays
I think mine, 15 years (or so) ago was the longer one, starting well above the OK. The Europa cup run did not go right to the bottom (the World cup finish gate) but stopped at the lower restaurant where I took a few seconds rest (perhaps 15 or 20sec?). I then continued to the finish line at the bottom the quickest and emptiest line I could find, and added on the time. I did calculate it at the time and it came to just under 40mph (perhaps 38 and a bit?), using the official length, (ie not counting my longer line) and not counting my rest. I probably lost most time on that bottom bit. I actually skied piste G at the bottom, which may have made it slightly longer but was almost empty and less bumpy, so I could go faster (I took the last part - the long chute you can see from the finish, straight, but the bit above, narrow with blind bends through trees, I had to take it easy).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-09-06 12:26; edited 7 times in total
snow report
snowball wrote:
I was helped by the netting being still in place along most of the course. It meant only people who deliberately started the course from the top were on it. Except for a while after races (Europa cup in this case)or if it has just been groomed it is too bumpy to go really fast on some parts.

Several years ago I did a section of the OK piste (mid section, after the first restaurant) a couple of days after the Men's downhill. The piste was still very hard and icy and I was really motoring along when another skier headed across the line I was taking and I had to move across to the side of the race piste and suddenly into soft snow. I completely messed up the transition from icy piste to soft snow and had the biggest wipeout I've ever had. When me, my skis and my poles all came to a stop, some distance apart, I'd somehow managed to demolish one of my toe bindings and delaminate a section of the ski. The bruises and the long journey down to the bottom of the hill on one ski helped etch into my mind what happens when I ski beyond my ability!
ski holidays
Aaaargh!
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Did the hahnenkahm in about 20 mins, the lads do it in just over 2!!!!!

I've done that but not timed myself. I reckon it would be harder to do a good time on the Hahnenkam because of a few very steep bits - for example the very short but extremely steep Mausefalle, just 50m or so down from the start hut. Did you dare to take it staight? (surely not if you took 20mins), Side-slip it? Do a turn off to the side a bit? The racers are doing 80mph at the bottom of the jump and then are hammered into the ground by the compression of a sudden flat.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Laughing I'll be there for the weekend of the Men's downhill.

Me too, same as last year - I wonder if Finlay will go down early enough to give the Brits something to shout about again? Mr. Green
snow conditions
When is the Men's downhill in Val this year?
snow conditions
Kramer, 9 December.
ski holidays
I've LOOKED down the OK and decided you would need a calendar to time me. Cool
snow conditions
AxsMan, If it helps boost your moral, the OK is probably the easiest downhill on the circuit Shocked
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Thanks for that. I feel loads better!

(actually in truth, Mrs Axs and I did go down it, and you wouldn't have needed a calendar to time us (just a stopwatch with an hour hand) Smile.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy