Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you a faffer ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a keen skier. I like to maximise time on the slopes. When approaching the top of a lift I'll get my gloves on, goggles on, hat or helmet ready etc. I'll strap my boots up ... ready to go as soon as I get off the lift.

Then there are my friends. I call them faffers. When they're on the lift they faff. When they get off the lift they faff .... do their boots up, clean their glasses, take photos, fasten coat, etc etc etc during which time I'm stood around (or sat if on board) itching to go, thinking I could be at the bottom by now ready for another go! Maybe they call it 'being chilled'. I call it annoying.

So what's the norm : to faff or not to faff. What faff's annoy you ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am definitely not a faffer - when I get to the top of the lift I want to go as quick as possible.

Mrs K on the other hand is definitely a faffer. Not quite so much on the slopes to be honest, but in the real world she faffs over everything. I can do the weekly shop in less than 30 minutes, but Mrs K takes twice as long. when I moan about it the reason is she likes to look at everything before she buys! rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I Don't Remove gloves,goggles,helmet,hat. Just take back foot off board. No time to faff, must go....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith - I'm with you - roll off the lift, sort out poles and start turning. Or start turning and sort out poles - depending on how my coordination is doing.

Unfortunately it does, sometimes, have unintended consequences when I realise that I should have read the piste map and I'm going down the wrong run...

What really annoys me is people who get off the lift and start undoing things that are / were perfectly well done up so that they can do them back up again Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Non-faffers usually rely on faffers to read piste-maps for them and tell them where to go. As a "faffer" I tell my "non-faff" mates to sod-off or read the map themselves if they don't like it!

Anyway, what's wrong with taking photos? Aren't the views part of the fun??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can't keep up, you won't be skiing with me for long.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I get really irritated by faffers and all those people who just want to rush off when I need to adjust my boots wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
So what's the norm : to faff or not to faff.

Both. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Non-faffers usually rely on faffers to read piste-maps for them and tell them where to go.

Not in my experience, faffers tend to just follow the lead, it's the non-faffers who read the maps (while riding the lifts) and know where they're going so there's no faffing reading the map at the top of the lift !

Nothing wrong with a few photos' but when you're skiing in a group there's almost always one person always taking a shot ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have my faff moments (particularly when setting off from a hut early in the morning), but I try not to when on lifts. My objective, when skiing by myself, is to not let the skis stop on the snow as I leave the lift. Sometimes this does have unfortunate consequences as I start onto a black or somesuch with my left arm still struggling to find the right way into my rucksack strap....discretion then rapidly becomes the better part of valour.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have don Plan de la Gabba in Courmayeur three times in a row without actually stopping, which has to be some sort of record (though probably only for me). I think I fell on the forth run, which provides a less onerous thought somewhere, I reckon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm a faffer, but also the map reader. The ski day is well long enough for me. I am not a faffer on l the golf course, they REALLY annoy me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God, yes. All that waiting around at the top of lifts - especially the first up of the day. Or I'll think people are finally ready and ski down a bit and then wait 5 minutes for some of the others (who can ski just as well as me) to catch up. Did someone fall? No. I never discover what took so long.
I thought I'd find out what faffing was about when I got older, but I haven't yet.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-09-06 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No. I never discover what took so long

faffing, that's what.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If you can't keep up, you won't be skiing with me for long.

What do you say to your slower/faffing freinds on a powder day ?

'Bye'...........
latest report
I have no problem with 'faffing' or 'non faffing'.. faff as much as you want.. there is nothing wrong with , i am more than happy to faff about before i set off, sometimes i want to get cracking.. but if you are going to faff please do it out of the way of the natural chairlift exit.. there are beginners who are pleased if they can get off the chair without falling over who dont need to be negotiating groups of people talking about lunch who moan should said beginner bang into them..
ski holidays
ski wrote:
What do you say to your slower/faffing freinds on a powder day ?

There are NO friends on powder days, so the question is moot.
snow report
Some people maximise their fun in different ways (faff and non-faff).

Would you consider stopping to tighten your boots, remove a layer, swap goggles/glasses for glasses/goggles after the first few runs a faff? I just about trust myself to put my gloves back on when on a chair lift, but I wouldn't risk it with anything like camera or phone. Yes I'm sorry but I have made and received a few calls in recent years...." where are you now? which restaurant for lunch? oooh look I'm getting a ride in a helicopter! wink
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Would you consider stopping to tighten your boots, remove a layer, swap goggles/glasses for glasses/goggles after the first few runs a faff?

One stop no.

The trouble is that I've got friends who do that every run. "Too hot". "Too cold" "Too tight". "Too loose". "Pretty view". "Tired"...
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON, Well said, except if the faffers are a large party of Germans blocking the chair exit. "Follow me kids, Dad will show you how to play 10-pin ski bowling"
snow report
Most of you lot obviously make very poor friends wink
snow report
If faffing bothers you, try skiing with four girls, aged between 13 and forty (something), one of whom is a snowboarder.
Shocked

At any given moment, the chance that one of them will be
putting on sunglasses
taking off sunglasses
putting on scarf
taking off scarf
tightening boots
loosening boots
switching boots to 'walk'
switching boots to 'ski'
putting on lip balm
changing to lighter pair of gloves
changing to warmer pair of gloves
putting on inner silk gloves
taking off inner silk gloves
doing up jacket
undiong jacket
opening jacket vents
closing jacket vents
or making some hard to understand adjustment to some unnecessary piece of clothing is pretty close to certainty.

If you factor in the need for the boarder to take a foot out and put a foot back in every time you get on/off a lift , and add in the amount of time it takes four girls to pee and the frequency with which they feel the need to do so, the only surprise is that there are enough hours left in a day actually to ski at all Very Happy
ski holidays
Firmly in the non-faffing camp, unlike Mrs W who is a serial faffer. Having said that I consider there are degrees of faffing: stopping to take photos may not be a hanging offence (as above, the views are a big part of why we all love the mountains) : re-doing your boots after exiting every.bloody.lift certainly is.

Chairs are there to provide you with time to get your breath, time to plan your next run, time to relax. Cabins are there to enable you to re-apply your sun-cream, clean your glasses/goggles, plan lunch, discuss the last face-plant, relax.

Snow and gradient are there to provide you with exhilaration.

Easy rule to remember: UP = preparation. DOWN = go.

Never confuse the two!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, Well said, except if the faffers are a large party of Germans blocking the chair exit. "Follow me kids, Dad will show you how to play 10-pin ski bowling"

yeah but some of those german 'pins' can be quite big.. best to use an 18 pound ball!
ski holidays
19 stone "ball" Toofy Grin is better
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, particularly at the front of a 'flying wedge' formation Toofy Grin
snow report
If I've got my rucksack with me, putting it back on when I get off the chair does make me a bit of a faffer. But I'd rather be a bit of a faffer than go through what happened two years ago.

I hadn't taken my rucksack off, got to the top of the chair, lifted the safety bar all ready to ski off, moved bum off seat, went to put my skis on the ground but I couldn't because I was attached to the chair. JohnQ had skiied on thinking I was next to him, but I wasn't Embarassed I was going round the big wheel at the top hanging from the chair by a bit of string Shocked Fortunately the lifty heard me yelling at him before I got too far Very Happy
snow conditions
AxsMan, You describe it well. It works superbly as long as you can find a through path for your skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for work purposes we have defined "pfaffing" as "work conducted entirely for the fulfilment of targets and in no way helpful in acheiving our goal"
latest report
RachelQ, I've heard some horror stories about ruck sacks on chair lifts. So much so that putting on ruck sacks is an acceptable faff. But you can do it while on the move, no need to stop!
snow report
Worse is even getting out of the chalet in the morning...exactly how can 45 minutes be filled between breakfast and getting out the back door - beats me.
snow conditions
Someone mention RukSaks Mad

In lifts where you have to stand up these people should be forced to hold there Rucksack above there heads for the duration of the ride Very Happy
latest report
Jake, takes me approx 10 mins from wakeup to out the door 'including' eating breakfast
snow conditions
Jake wrote:
Worse is even getting out of the chalet in the morning...exactly how can 45 minutes be filled between breakfast and getting out the back door - beats me.

ive done it it ten.. and ive done the best part of ten trips back to the room to get stuff ive forgotten
ski holidays
Jake, I know what you mean.

Pretty much every week, in the time between our guests finishing breakfast and getting out the door I can:
clear the dining table
wash saucepans etc
load dishwasher with breakfast stuff
eat breakfast
go upstairs
clean teeth
apply sun-cream
get changed into ski gear
haul skis and boots downstairs
be outside chalet and ready to go

Of course, this is only on the couple of days a week I ski with our guests. The others I have to stay around the chalet and do the cleaning before I'm allowed to go out to play.
ski holidays
The thing that is amazing to me is that even after I have got up 1/2 hour or more later than everyone else I am still usually the first out of the door
snow conditions
ben wright, YOu sort the kids out, I'll clear the table rolling eyes
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, who said anything about kids?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, you took the words out of my mouth! We have two boys and the time it takes getting them out of the door to go ANYWHERE, let alone skiing is (almost) enough to make me not want to bother - ALMOST but not quite wink
latest report
Anyone stayed in the Station Hotel at Zermatt ? We were there a few years ago touring, staying in the bunk room.... on the fourth floor.

Ski room in basement.

Some of us would prepare our sacks the night before wink , and some in the morning rolling eyes Watching one of our party repeatedly run up and down those 5 stories for gloves, hat, googles etc was great (if slighlty irrrating) entertainment.

After 3 days, we let him (it was a he) in on the secret - pack your stuff the night before !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy