Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

You haven't seen me ski - tell me how I can improve ?

Poster: A snowHead
So - following on from the 'Can you tell how good someone is ? ... threads. I don't think anyone here other than GrahamN has seen me ski.

So what should I do to get better ? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski, at a guess:
1. lessons.
2. get mileage in, not in lessons.
3. variety is the spice of life - try new terrain/conditions.

(for anything more than those generalisations, I'd need to read all your posts - so, I'll do you a deal - I'll read all yours, you read all mine, and then report back... Wink )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski, Orange ski boots is a good start.

If you're not keen on changing your ski boots try to make your transition from one turn to another as smooth and progressive as possible; don't snap at your turns Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Git chore weight forward more, and keep it there.

2. Angulate more, but concentrate on keeping upper body vertical.

3. Get onto the new edge earlier.

4. Be constantly varying the turn radius. No "park and ride".

Close? Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect that there are very few people who would not improve by being fitter. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, Even when one is "as fit as a butchers pup" Cool ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
ski, Orange ski boots is a good start.

If you're not keen on changing your ski boots...

... paint them!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
I said few not no-one. Ive never seen a butchers pup ski but I saw a dog last year going downhill a damn sight faster than me. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Search found 14124 matches ! snowHead

Mutch as I would enjoy the read - I don't think I'll live that long Crying or Very sad
Quote:

1. lessons.
2. get mileage in, not in lessons.
3. variety is the spice of life - try new terrain/conditions

So - lessons - yes every Friday

Mileage ? 5/6 weeks a year

Variety - Race, off piste, ski tour and tele ?

Quote:

Orange ski boots is a good start.

Nah - I prefer blue.

Quote:

smooth and progressive as possible; don't snap at your turns

Good shout !

Quote:

1. Git chore weight forward more, and keep it there

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

ne one else ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, I also mean variety of resort - if you tend to stick to France, try Italy or Austria. If you tend to stick to Canada, try Europe, etc...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski

Turn - but not too quickly and not too slowly.

Stand forward, but not too far forward. And not too far back. Just so. Consider the need to adjust where you're stood as you move around the turn.

Stay mindful of everything you're doing - stay relaxed at all times. ("In the event of sudden cabin de-pressurisation masks like this will fall from the ceiling. Take the mask and breathe normally.")

Don't let the desire to improve ruin the enjoyment - and don't let the enjoyment ruin your desire to improve.

Know which bits of your body are supposed to stay still - and which bits of your body need to always be moving.

Have your legs wider or narrower depending on conditions.

...and when you know all that - could you tell me please? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I also mean variety of resort - if you tend to stick to France, try Italy or Austria. If you tend to stick to Canada, try Europe, etc...

Yes ! This last year we went to Ischgl (haven't been to Austria for nn years) to ski tour, and then Gressoney... you are quite correct variety is the spice of life snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear sunscreen Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Balanced - stay balanced over sweet spot in ski for most of the time and return there when you have moved
HANDS - keep 'em in periphereal vision all the time
Poles - keep the tips moving ALWAYS... when you plant one the other starts its journey
Ski into and out of counter - not COUNTERED...
edges - Progressive edging... no slamming and holding... always be increasing or decreasing edge angle never static
Don't be lazy with inside foot - make sure you use it...
Steering - be able to add or decrease as needed from 0 to 100%
Get that outside shoulder forward at turn initiation!! (sorry one of my problems atm along with the counter thingy!)
Keep the hips correctly aligned so the inside leg does not creep forward in turn....

thats a few off my list - will any of them do?
snow report
ski, so I know I shouldn't be posting here, as I fail the first qualification of NOT having seen you ski. However, there is the extenuating circumstance that I was concentrating more on getting myself in the gate than watching you Wink .

From what little attention I was paying, I'd say that one of the most obvious differences between you and the faster guys was level of aggression - you seemed to be doing everything just about right (to my inexperienced eyes anyway), but just maybe taking it all a bit easy? Maybe a bit more of a dynamic push out of each turn to get that bit of extra oomph into the next gate.

Oh, and stop skiing on Head skis Wink . What was the winner on....Sal-o-something?.....I think Benny said, but I didn't quite catch it Laughing .
(Sorry, in-joke there). No ideas about off-piste, but you obviously have the perfect equipment for it though snowHead .
ski holidays
GrahamN, Ahh - being a wuss then wink that'll be me rolling eyes Thanks ! Not sure about the Solly's they are waaay out of my price range Shocked

Quote:

you seemed to be doing everything just about right

Thanks again - can I quote you on that ?

Note to anyone else - there's a nice pair of Head skis here....http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18111
ski holidays
ski, Head make great skis (well, great for me) - I have a pair!
latest report
ski wrote:
Thanks again - can I quote you on that ?

Sure (subject to suitable agreement on T&Cs rolling eyes ). Note of course the weasel-out words of "to my inexperienced eyes" and, more importantly, "seemed" Wink . And of course, if you guys are going to come over to SRSA again next year (assuming they manage to find any slopes fit for racing on Sad ), it's in my interest to screw you up as much as possible Laughing .
snow report
GrahamN,

Quote:

it's in my interest to screw you up as much as possible

Sounds like a challenge ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

The races seem much much more suited for some of our rugrats, so we will be back next year. snowHead

Wear The Fox Hat, I'm sure they do. It's just that (at the moment) I ski faster on Rossis.... snowHead
snow conditions
ski wrote:
GrahamN,

Quote:

it's in my interest to screw you up as much as possible

Sounds like a challenge ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

THIS ISN'T A DATING WEBSITE! Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Shocked
snow report
Ski with people who are rubbish. They make you look better.
ski holidays
Learn to or improve your snowboarding for a bit of cross-training. Watch a Tough Guys tele video and feel humbled. Rollerski in summer. Get or put on your twin tips and have a biggest rooster tail contest. Smile (even more) Smile Sack off a day's racing for powder hunting (not very practical on dryslope). Get the first lift every day & clock 3 laps of pristine groomer while the other losers wink are still putting their boots on.
latest report
I'd say the most important thing you can do to improve is to ski outside of your comfort zone. You can ski every day for an entire season and not improve if you don't push yourself.

Now for the more technical bit. Skiing is all about getting the right weight distribution, using your *legs* to turn and not your upper body, and finally timing your compression and extension correctly.

1.) Your weight should be perfectly centred. When you stand on your ski you should feel the whole of the base of your foot in contact with you boot with the same pressure on the heal as the toe. If you lean to far back you won;t feel your toes on the boot, too far forward etc.... Imagine there is a line perpedicular to the center of your ski - you should have as much of your body behind that imaginary line as in front of it. Knees slightly in front, back bottom behind, shoulders in front. If you want to find out if you are correctly balanced then ski with your boot *completely* undone. The stiffness of a boot is only there to help you correct mistakes. If you ski with the correct balance you should be able to carve a red run with the boot undone. It's a leap of faith, but it can show you very quickly how you need to tune your stance.

2.) You should be using your leg muscles to turn - physically directing the ski by twisting and pointing it where you want it to go. If you use your upper body you are unbalanced. It might work for you but when you ski more and more challenging slopes it will start to hamper your ability to improve. The best way to learn this is to ski with one ski. Find a nice beginners slope and try to ski down with one ski. If you use your upper body you *will* fall over. The only way to turn when you have one ski is to use your legs. It's pretty difficult for the first couple of attempts but it is amazing how quickly you will pick it up.

3.) The timing of your compression and extension through the lifecycle of a turn is the final part to the puzzle. When you want to initiate a turn stand tall (the steeper the slope the faster and more exagerated this needs to be). This de-weights your ski making it easier for you to turn (see 2!). When you pass the fall line (skis straight down hill) and start to come out of the turn, you should feel yourself being compressed into the ski. Fight against it, pushing your skis hard into the snow. Initially it the compressive force will win, making you more and more compressed, but as you start to exit the turn your legs will start to win, and you can extend out of the turn. This action keeps the maximum force passing though your edge into the snow, allowing you to hold that edge and create a perfect carve. Practice practice, practice, and when you get it right you will be able to hold an edge and carve in very icy conditions.
latest report
snow_gibbon, welcome aboard!

Interesting. I'm not sure I agree. Skis turn because they want to. Forcing a skis results in skidding=inefficiency.

Have I misunderstood your points?? It sounds as though you are describing skiing as practised pre-(somewhere around) 1998? Up-un-weighting is hardly (sadly) required on modern shaped skis? Puzzled
ski holidays
snow_gibbon, welcome to snowHead s

I'll throw a few pence into this pot.

Firstly I don't think "physically directing the ski by twisting and pointing it where you want it to go" necessarily means forcing a turn David. Using only the ski's turning ability without strong leg/feet steering action when necessary will restrict your range of skiing dramatically.

Secondly I think there is sometimes a problem with "pushing your skis hard into the snow" during the phase from the fall line through to the end of the turn. If we don't try to control/reduce the pressure which is building naturally (not as a result of any pushing by us) the skis will often break away. I think we should try and "suck up" the pressure by letting the ankles knees and hips flex to absorb.

Thirdly, a slow steady stretch at the start of the turn will help to press the skis into the snow during the "light" phase of the turn, and also helps to flatten the skis and give an easy initiation into the new turn, even with modern equipment (note that I am more interested in skiing all snow and conditions rather than icy race pistes).

Blimey, I haven't posted that much about skiing for about 500 years Shocked Laughing
latest report
LOL. No, I'm not an old school skiier, but the suggestion has put a smile on my face! Thank you!

The extent to which a ski can turn itself is goverend by its geometery. The flex of the ski can vary the turn radius to an extent, but if you need to get a turn with a radius of say 5m out of a 17m ski you it is just not possible to let the ski make the turn. You need to steer that ski. Obviously if you are tearing down a nice groomer then it is indeed possible to let you ski carry you though the turns.

Skidding=inefficency. I'm not suggesting you skid around all your turns - I can't imagine anything more ugly! The turning of the ski should be very controlled throughout the initiation of the turn - you can still achieve your perfect railway lines. As a side note, have you noticed the recent trend of slalom skiers to *skid* some turns? As it turns out, in some cases this can be the fastest way around the pole!

Weighting - it is required to a much lesser extent on modern skis. However it is still important. The more demanding the slope the more important this is. If you want to cruise the blues/reds then you can get away with very little extension. Increase the pitch to the extent where you need to make rapid turns you will need to utilise this technique if you are going to remain in control.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I want to see him/her do a retraction/extension turn initiated by standing tall...
snow report
snow_gibbon, he he

Always a pleasure, never a chore.

I must admit I never feel as though I am steering my skis, but then a lot of what I do is somewhat unconscious. Yes, a skis geometry influences its behaviour, but my paltry (for a one time physicist) understanding is that simply adding more weight, adds more flex, reduces radius? A ski with a long radius side cut just needs to be bent more to do a short radius turn?

I have no idea what (I can hear the audience groaning now as I come out with it again...) "radius" my all time fave 7SKs (1989) had but I could carve short radius turns on blue ice on them.

Hmm maybe we are simply talking at cross purposes?
snow report
David Murdoch,

i get harassed by the austrians every time I ski with one.... because I am an "edge addict" (blame instructor at canyone for that one he says edges are my cocaine).... so they assume i cannot steer.... we always have this discussion... you just have to have a short turn that is not pure carve in order to have a REALLY short turn... or in my Italians words (after I did some "short turns" for him - like slalom sized we would call them) "You do those turns up there(pointing to top of mountains in Switzerland direction) and YOU DIE" .... I can do a more steered turn - because my regular instructor insisted I be able to.... and taught me....

My guess as you said is that the steering is not obvious to you - because you do it unconsciously to shape the turns as you desire it to be...
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
...but my paltry (for a one time physicist) understanding is that simply adding more weight, adds more flex, reduces radius?

Yes and no.

Yes - more pressure (flex), applied in the right way, will give tighter radius.

As will moving your weight aft at the end of the turn (heresy!!!!!!).

No - as little tiger says, there's a limit to how much doing so will work and at some point you've got to steer, rather than just roll over the edges.

snow_gibbon wrote:
As a side note, have you noticed the recent trend of slalom skiers to *skid* some turns? As it turns out, in some cases this can be the fastest way around the pole!

Again, yes and no.

If you look at this you'll see something else in action. The skier is using the rebound energy from the last turn to get some air so that he can rotate in the air and place his edges to reduce the effective turn radius of skis.

And he's skidding a bit.

On the extension / retraction point...

- you can initiate a turn via extension (standing tall) - snow_gibbon's point

- you can initate a turn by moving your hips across the skis - David Murdoch's point

- you can initiate a turn using retraction - little tiger's point

None of these is "wrong" or "right" as a general point. Each of them will initiate the turn. The only question is when each of them is "more or less appropriate" to the situation you find yourself in...
snow report
Hmm. Reading all this confirms my view that the best thing you can do is find a good instructor who will work out what works best for you.

I used to ski with what I thought was even weighting between ball ad heel of foot. Thanks to easiski, I now ski with weighing that feels like somewhere near the balls of my feet. The result is faster turns, and far more confidence on really steep terrain.

Now, I am not saying you should do this. What I do believe is that the only way to get things right is to actually work with a good instructor so that you find out your own physical experience of good (or as good as you are going to get) skiing.
snow report
Completely agree achilles.

The problem, of course, is that one instructor will tell you one thing and another will tell you the complete opposite.

I've been told by Warren Smith to ski with weight on balls of my feet; by my instructor in Morzine to be weighted between the ball and the heel and by a race coach in Canada to initiate with the weight on the ball of the foot and "pop" the weight onto the heel at the end of the turn... Shocked

What I've finally realised is that they're all right. It just depends on the circumstances...

...for example, we all "know" that we shouldn't let ourselves get into the backseat - but then you look at frame 6 of this photo and then you look at this photo and you realise that circumstances are everything.
ski holidays
and.............relax
snow report
Ignoring all the BS written above, take erica's advice. Oh, and LAUGH.
If you're not laughing or smiling, then there's no point.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Hi Folks,
This is the script taken from part of chapter 14 of my film out on DVD:
'How To Survive Your First Ski Holiday'
This is one of the sections that can aply to all skiers

Recently I discovered for myself a way of thinking that reduces the
sensation of being on a slope and at the same time improves weight
placement, which improves control, therefore increasing confidence.
Whilst I was skiing steep off piste In low visibility, I began to feel that I was no longer on
a slope at all, but I was skiing along a flat surface, being pushed along by an
invisible motor or magical force. What happened was that I lost all visual
reference to the vertical. My brain had been fooled into seeing the slope as
a flat surface, over which I was moving horizontally, by a process of optical
illusion combined with my balance being tricked by my forward movement.
Later on I tried to see if ld deliberately replicate this sensation and
to my delight I found that I could. I quickly found myself more confident
on very steep slopes and skiing powder and rough chopped up snow better
than I ever have done. I haven't heard other instructors talk about this
technique, so I don't know if anyone else does it, but I would recommend
that everyone tries it for themselves.
So when you ski at moderate speed, look no further than about twenty feet,
or about two turns in front of you. Try to block out all the detail of objects
like trees and buildings that are in your peripheral vision, that give
reference to the vertical. Just concentrate on the empty piste or
instructor in front of you. Try to find the sensation that you're on a flat
surface and you're being pushed along by this invisible hand. This will place
you 90 degrees to the snow. Just as when you're standing on snow on a flat
surface, you're 90 degrees, so when you're on the slope, you're still 90
degrees to the surface. Here I'm standing in the correct ski position on
level ground, with my body 90 degree to the snow with my weight on my
toes. And when you look at this picture of Brigitte, you can see that she's
also 90 degrees to the snow, but when I revel the hidden background, you
can see from the pylon that she's not on flat snow, but is, in fact, skiing
down a gentle red run. It's the camera that's not level. If we re-frame the
shot, you can now see the slope, and most importantly, you can see that
she's not leaning forward of backwards, but is maintaining that all-
important 90 degrees to the snow. Here you can see the steepness of slope
we're on, but as we set off, I tilt the camera, which gives the impression of
the piste being flat. And it's this same illusion that the skier's looking for.
Now I admit that this is quite a complicated technique to explain,
and some people get it, and some people
don't, but whether you're a beginner or an expert, give it a try, I mean it
might be just the thing for you.

Regards to everyone

Andrew Day Very Happy www.skiday.co.uk
Andrew Day (Austrian qualified instructor) www.skiday.co.uk
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy