Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Watch

Poster: A snowHead
My watch is bust and I need a new one- I can get one of these a trade price (£110)
http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Watches/CASIO%20Sport/Pro%20Trek/PRG-80L-3VER/At%20a%20Glance/
Is it worth it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got an origo watch that measures altitude etc but as it's relying on pressure it isnt particularly accurate and needs lots of recalibrating. Having said that it's a good way of getting a rough estimate of vertical skiied in a day etc....My wife thinks it's amusing as it regularly thinks we are below sea level when in Southampton!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got the non-solar version and love it! It was great in Peru, particularly when monitoring altitude so that I could calculate when the headaches would clear!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well it appears after 4 minutes you have convinced me I will order one tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II wrote:
well it appears after 4 minutes you have convinced me I will order one tomorrow Very Happy

You took a lot of convincing there rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier,
what can i say i'm easy Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II, if you ski off piste altimeters are a very good safety tool. Without much skill they can be great navigational aides. As Roger said they need to be calibrated on a very regular basis to be of any use. The barometer can help you guess / fantasize about weather changes and the thermometer is always interesting too.

Yes. Buy One. Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
why do they need calibrating regularly?

As long as they read correctly, and you check em before you go out, they are ok I reckon, so you know what the watch actually reads.

ie bottom of lift, watch reads as 1100m, if your coming down on piste, you need to get back to lift before watch reads 1100m, regardless of wether the lift is "actually" at 1200 or 1000m!!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, that's fine if you are only using it to work out your average descent (or ascent). If you are actually interested in your height you need to check that it is still calibrated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The trouble with watchs like that is they are iredeemably naff.

Casio make watches that you could use for diving, but I would take a simple Citizen with an analogue face in preference.

I certainly would not wear something like that on a daily basis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
why do they need calibrating regularly?

As long as they read correctly, and you check em before you go out, they are ok I reckon, so you know what the watch actually reads.

ie bottom of lift, watch reads as 1100m, if your coming down on piste, you need to get back to lift before watch reads 1100m, regardless of wether the lift is "actually" at 1200 or 1000m!!

Cheers,

Greg

What if the temperature changes during ascent /descent? Then you are knackered. Boyle's law, innit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you miss my point! Even if you calibrate it, how do you know it's correct, but do you care?

So let me expand a little. Say you are interested in your height, not merely your average descent/ascent and you need to be back at the bottom of a lift, which your watch reads at 1100m.

So you set off from the top somewhere, off piste, checking your watch, when you read 1200m on your watch it's time to start to traverse back towards the lift now, as you know it's only 100m lower than you.

So in my example it doesn't actually matter how calibrated your watch is, as long as you know what height it is reading that day at the point you want to get back to, wether it be the base station, valley floor or bottom of a lift.

flicksta : temp changes will affect the watch even if it's calibrated???

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, Afraid so. You are calibrating it at certain conditions, and temperature is one of them. As long as the temp remains the same, you'll be OK, as long as the altimeter is sensitive enough to change as quickly as you descend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Suunto watches are temperature compensated. If a watch wasn't temperature compensated how much difference would a 5 degree temperature change in terms of atmospheric pressure? I'm afraid I can't remember anything about Boyle's Law, my physics education being some distance in the past.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the temperature of the watch is 10C, then a great deal, since you are changing the temperature by 50%. However, the temperature of the watch should change reasonably slowly. If have one of the digital altimeters and whilst it holds its calibration, it changes too slowly to be useful to me on the move.
snow report
flicksta wrote:
If the temperature of the watch is 10C, then a great deal, since you are changing the temperature by 50%. However, the temperature of the watch should change reasonably slowly. If have one of the digital altimeters and whilst it holds its calibration, it changes too slowly to be useful to me on the move.

Ignore that, I'm talking utter poo-poo. The temperature would be measure in Kelvin, not C, and would be a change of 5 deg out of 283K at 10C, only a change of 1.8%.
latest report
flicksta wrote:
If have one of the digital altimeters and whilst it holds its calibration, it changes too slowly to be useful to me on the move.

How (in)frequently does it update? My Suunto watch seems to register altitude changes very quickly - if I look at it while going up in a chairlift it shows a steady increase in altitude every few seconds.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
flicksta wrote:
If have one of the digital altimeters and whilst it holds its calibration, it changes too slowly to be useful to me on the move.

How (in)frequently does it update? My Suunto watch seems to register altitude changes very quickly - if I look at it while going up in a chairlift it shows a steady increase in altitude every few seconds.

suunto watches are good, mine is shite.
ski holidays
I got a Polar AXN 300 outdoor computer watch for my birthday in june. It is designed specifically for snowsports as it not only has an altimeter and barometer but it also records how many slopes skied, average and maximum speed of ascent /descent, maximum and minimum altitudes and also keeps a seasonal record of these figures. See HERE if you want more info and an excellent price, or HERE for the full spec.

I am VEEEERRRRRRRYYYYYY impressed with mine.
ski holidays
I've used a Suunto S6 for the past three seasons. Still like it. You can plot every run including time spent on lifts as well as vertival distance for each run.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy