Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you get an idea of how good someone is just by reading their posts?

Can you get an idea of how good someone is just by reading their posts?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 19 ]
Don't Know
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 48
Total Votes : 48

Poster: A snowHead
Easiski and I had a small conversation about this at the PSB last year and we both reckoned we could get a very rough idea for how good someone was likely to be from the way they talked about skiing in their SHs posts.

The question was provoked by another thread suggesting that WTFH had mis-represented his capability to review skis. Not in my book Foxy, rest assured!

Maybe this (and its sister thread) should be polls but I don't seem to be able to set one up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch wrote:
Easiski and I had a small conversation about this at the PSB last year and we both reckoned we could get a very rough idea for how good someone was likely to be from the way they talked about skiing in their SHs posts.

What were the criteria that you and easiski suggested might be good indicators (just so I don't embarrass myself by talking out of my dooda)?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch,

I agree entirely and I wasn't surprised at all by the outcome of the other thread.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im guessing if you talk about them clip thingies which hold your shoes to those planks of wood. Then youre classed as a novice.

But if youre talking riding some fat kit in the bc, wanting your solly's +5 mounted on yer SV's for maximum gnar in the park while doing a 10 switch. Then youre going to be a bit more knowledgeable !

huh ... I dunno!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe not by reading their posts, but by hearing them talk? wink

link is to 790K wmv file. OK OK, I know I've posted it twice
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, any idea who the multi-coloured Scot is? He seems vaguely familiar
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, he he.

rob@rar.org.uk, We didn't actually discuss criteria. At the risk of massive approbation, things I think that are indicative:

- better (?more experienced?) skiers tend not to want to fit themselves to S&R scales - although will gleefully discuss the construction of such scales

- rarely describe themselves as "advanced" or (shudder) "expert"

- tend to know what kit they like (and while interested in reviews tend not to ask for purchasing advice)

- are familiar enough with winter conditions that they don't ask questions like "what will the snow be line on the 14th of March?" (All please note, I'm not trying to discourage anyone asking anything, just voicing an opinion!!!)

But it's very difficult to quantify the whole matter.

Using (I hope he doesn't mind) WTFH as an example and WITHOUT having seen his vids, I would expect him to be a competent piste and powder skier, immensely interested in the sport in general and definitely a "seeker of the truth". NB, I don't think you can be "better" than "competent" without spending seasons on skis and having a bit of some form of competition experience. That said it's my own very loose description - stolen unashamedly from someone who knows more about this sort of thing than I!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A 'controversial' thread here covers this topic but does run to 12 page's. **Content warning** the argument gets a bit heated in places Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, phew! I think I do OK on all those criteria. It's just a shame my skiing isn't up to my "posting credibility" ninja rating!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-09-06 18:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, Wow! I remember that one and I wasn't even in the country! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch,

See, now we are getting down to the nitty gritty... and it is difficult to quantify time on snow with usefu quality time on snow ...and then in what conditions...??
I normally think that Jocks and Swedes/Scandi's who spend a lot of formative years are going to be sorted because they have done so much ground work.....the rest of us have to catch up so much more....... Gotta go, but I'll get back to this
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you can to a certain extent - there are some sHs that openly reveal they are social skiers. Others who talk knowledgeably & credibly about off piste runs and conditions.

I don't know quite where I measure up but my posts could be somewhat misleading because I ski and snowboard and until recent seasons have more snowboard mileage under my belt. I will endeavour to get some video footage this season so I can have some virtual coaching (though I hope I would be able to spot most of the problems myself first). No doubt I will disappoint myself and others Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges wrote:
boredsurfin, Wow! I remember that one and I wasn't even in the country! Madeye-Smiley

Ah, yes I remember it well wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, I don't mind!

I also find viewing footage of myself doing certain standard drills to be very humbling - when I see that I don't look like the ski god I imagine myself to be - yet at the same time, a video of me skiing in Alta powder, and it looks great, cause you can't see the finer points of the movement as it is faster, and there are billows of powders flying everywhere.

I think you can tell a lot about someone from their posts - maybe not how "good" a skier they are, but their level of enthusiasm, their knowledge, and where there interests lie - some posters are very "ME" oriented, some with try to subjugate others with there use of aggrandising vocabulary, when more eloquence and understanding can be found in diminutive words Laughing
Perhaps it helps in thinking about how someone might learn best, but I'm not sure about knowing how well they ski from how they post (unless they specifiy where and what they ski)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, good point.

I must admit that (anecdotally) I think that (historically) us Jocks (not necessarily myself) , the Scandies and oddly enough Canadians seem to produce a higher average level of holiday skiing than many lesser-skiing-nations. (I haven't noticed the same with Americans. Maybe they don't frequent Europe as much).

I put a lot of that down to conditions - if you're going to ski regularly in Scotland you have to positively like ice, heather, rocks, etc. Does this count as higher quality time? And as you point out, you are likely to start early and spend more hours on it.

Clearly locals from any of the "proper" skiing nations will have a natural advantage.

But I wonder whether the anglo-saxon diaspora to the alps in recent years and the ability to weekend/commute is going to change things a little.

fatbob, yep, good points too. Although, just to buck the trend, I consider myself a social skier...but I'm not terribly untidy in bumps wink
ski holidays
[quote="David Murdoch"]JT, good point.

I must admit that (anecdotally) I think that (historically) us Jocks (not necessarily myself) , the Scandies and oddly enough Canadians seem to produce a higher average level of holiday skiing than many lesser-skiing-nations. (I haven't noticed the same with Americans. Maybe they don't frequent Europe as much).

The seppos on home turf can vary from terrible (Texan package punters) to superb (weekenders with many years of trips to their favourite stomping grounds) even leaving out locals. On average I'd say they are better skiers than Brits. They certainly seem more committed to advanced lessons and gear that will improve their skiing etc. Canucks & Seppos in Europe tend to be the more committed sort and are probably on average a better standard unless you're talking about ex pats living in Geneva etc.
latest report
I added an poll for you.
ski holidays
fatbob, I am quite prepared to stand corrected - I just haven't noticed good skiing pie-eaters to the same extent I've noticed the Canadiyawns. But then, this is a biased view having enviously watched the awesome skills of the Piste Artistes (do they still exist) in the PDS over the years.

I will also submit that I think the Canadian instructors have to my eye a more attractive style to them. A bit like the French vs the Swiss in the PDS. Give me a garlic eating froggie collaborator anyday.

Who else can we insult?
latest report
DM, fatbob,

It all comes down to time on snow in the end and as long as you don't avoid the horrible stuff it will all add up to being useful.

Locals are as bit of a given..leave them to it and if you can keep up you aren't doing badly and they are probably taking it easy...!! A case in point, I skied with a Swiss ski instructor... very cute etc.... and I struggled..largely due to the fact that I was unprepared for the trip, but thats
another story,... and she said she struggles as much as I did that day, when she goes out with the local hardcore...!!!!!!!

On another occasion we go to Andermatt and are looking for Off-psite skis and the shops say there is no Off-piste..and no one would ski it because it was cr@p.... We bashed about in it...not pretty but the majority of locals didn't bother because they could pick and chose their OP days. Perfect powder days are as good as it gets in lots of ways...not least the way you can ski it..!!!

Of course, bad stuff counts, big time... because you can't spend your life ignoring it.. You just ski whats there because thats the deal IMV. But I'm not saying it is always pretty, for sure...!!!!!!!
latest report
JT, wise words. Funnily enough, one of the best skiers and instructors I know isn't/wasn't a local. He is now, and as for his son...
snow report
I've voted no. I had a Sri Lankan friend who was very modest about his ability at squash. I thought I was pretty good but, when we played, he slaughtered me. He could have beaten me on one leg, frankly. Afterwards, he said that the game he was really good at was cricket. I was captaining a side at the time and instantly recruited him. He turned out to be distinctly average. So I would sat that it's pretty difficult to tell someone's ability from talk.
ski holidays
DM,

I don't know about the skiing but I think I've got the BS angle well and truly covered....you reckon.....????

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
laundryman, good story. But based on one observation?

JT, very! Nice to hear we'll see you in only a few weeks!
latest report
DM,

Looking forward to it..got lots to sort out...might even enrol in the Race camp.....
latest report
I voted "don't know" as it would depend on how good you are at reading wink
I for one am a quick reader and a slow skier Smile
latest report
David Murdoch, good thread.

ALL, good comments.

My thoughts.

I have often wondered about this. I was surprised by WTFH's video, his (your) posts are intelligent, well written, knowledgeable with masses of enthusiasm which led me to *assume* that he is a very advanced skier. The video revealed a good, strong skier that is obviously committed, enthusiastic and clearly very dedicated. In my own head though I must admit that WTFH posts are better than his skiing. I'm confident that WTFH won't take this the wrong way as I mean it as a compliment, great skiing, but an even better poster!

I can't really elaborate on what it was about Foxy's posts that made me elevate his skiing to god like status. Perhaps it's just some of the rubbish that other people post Wink Interestingly, present company excluded, there aren't many posters here that I give the 'knowledgeable' status too, most I consider to be enthusiasts at best. snowHead

There are defiantly tell tale signs as to whether a poster is a good skier or not. My own guide is:

1) They never ski indoors
2) They never... only joking Wink

I think you can just tell as others have said, it's the little things... understanding ski technique, equipment and general skiing awareness.

Oh and the ability to stay out of certain discussions...
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
I will also submit that I think the Canadian instructors have to my eye a more attractive style to them.

you like the "hunch back of notre dame" look?
and the canadian "bob"....

I love watching their racers... and race coaches....but the instructors... sorry the bob/hunch thing is a bit off putting.... I know one racer swears getting his CSIA 3 ruined his skiing - took him a few months to get it all resorted after teaching himslef to ski "right" for the demos... then he says he had to get rid of it so he could ski "proper" for race coaching...

My canadian grew up at whistler - when he just skis he looks awesome - when he goes somehwere fast he looks awesome - when he does demos he looks like some stupid puppet thing because he suddenly gets this hunch bob crap happening.... THEN we go ski and he goes back to normal...

I spent so much time learning and unlearning the bob/hunch that we have a standard agreement that all canadian instructors have to enter into before i accept them now! NO BOB and NO HUNCH!
ski holidays
little tiger, Laughing what about the arms wrapped around the beer keg? Laughing

parlor I think perhaps, outside of those involved in instruction, we all develop an internal timeline of interests that follows our own development. Then one might accurately place someone else's development based purely on expressed interest, because it works for similar backgrounds and because there is no reason to think anything else.

I was, at first, going to quibble at DM's assumption of a single idea of "good". But that simply devolves into a discussion of "intent".

As an example of different backgrounds AND different intent, I think I'm going to try to find the conversation Physicsman had with davidof about 'guide skiing'.

PS, I was NOT surprised by WTFH's video. I think the demonstrated strengths matched well enough the posting "cred".

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 12-09-06 20:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, very true.
snow report
comprex wrote:
little tiger, Laughing what about the arms wrapped around the beer keg? Laughing

Oh I tend to lump that in with the "hunch" because they demo together... but you are correct....

I manage to avoid that bit - because my arm position was learnt with another instructor (don't ask has to do with my disability and needing to not wave them around behind me)....
However as the ski school nicely organises a week per instructors I have time to learn to "bob/hunch" and then get told "what are you doing?" or "been skiing with those canadians again" ....

the funny thing is EVERY other instructor I've skied with after recognises it as canadian - so even if they have no idea who I have skied with they can narrow it down to the few possibles in ski school really fast!
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry bit late with reply, had another flight to take in between. His name is George &**^% - possibly Adam or Adams? not sure I'll have to look it up when I get home. and maybe do some more clips....if there is any demand for them wink
ski holidays
I think this question is quite comparable to going skiing with somebody that you have never seen ski, but have spoken at length with about skiing.

In general I think the biggest difference has been that those who tell stories about how fast they ski, far they jump and spectacularly they negotiate their way through the steepest and icy mogul fields have turned out to be the least impressive ones!

Those who spoke more about the lessons they have learned, mistakes they have made, what they want to try and learn etc. have all turned out to be quite good or better than expected.

I think there is a strong link between a realistic self perception and ones ability to get better i.e. when you think the sun shines through your O, then you probably are about as good as you are going to get!

As a result, I would probably lean towards saying that I probably view those with plenty of personal anecdotes with a little more 'caution' than those who tend to just focus on 3rd person discussion.

I think parlors, use of the word enthusiast pretty aptly describes me - I know far more about skiing that I aspire to and have not yet mastered!
ski holidays
little tiger, hey, now you know what I look like when I ski! Hilarious. Clearly not just Canadian. I had a guest once who asked, "Did you first learn to ski with the Scottish-Norwegian Ski school in Aviemore (that'll be Scotland BTW) in 1970?" How spooky was that? (He was right...)

comprex, I don't think I have a single definition of "good", maybe just a vague feeling? Intent isn't all of it, but I now struggle to define what I mean. Probably a requirement for more BEER! I don't think I was surprised by WTFH's vid either, seemed to be what I expected.

Not going off track/topic, but what makes a good skier? Good question!

Intent, motivation, skill, ability, logged-time, philosophy, humour...and a combination of all.

Is WTFH a "good" skier? I'd say so.

Is he an expert-skier? Well, define me "expert-skier" first.

From Chambers dictionary, "someone with great skill in, or extensive knowledge of, a particular subject. adj 1 highly skilled or extremely knowledgeable"..............
ski holidays
agavin, I think you're about spot on. Although I am now rather conscious about spinning too many yarns...

Wear The Fox Hat, thank you for letting me use you as an example. Doesn't seem to have been too painful so far?
snow conditions
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed there have been a number of threads recently suggesting that the SH's that are modest or humble about their abilities are usually the better performers?

This trend seems to have given rise to a very large number of modest/humble posts lately! Laughing

As for me - Completely lacking any skill whatsoever! snowHead

I'm even rubbish at beer drinking and leching. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
beeryletcher, point 1. is this a bad thing?

Point 2. If you are anywhere near London tomorrow night let me invite you to an evening with my mates at London's finest Gentlemen's Club. Best leching to be done in Shoreditch and no mistake...(few beers to be had too).
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

I was surprised by WTFH's video, his (your) posts are intelligent, well written, knowledgeable with masses of enthusiasm which led me to *assume* that he is a very advanced skier. The video revealed a good, strong skier that is obviously committed, enthusiastic and clearly very dedicated. In my own head though I must admit that WTFH posts are better than his skiing. I'm confident that WTFH won't take this the wrong way as I mean it as a compliment, great skiing, but an even better poster!

Very well put. I've been trying to work out how to say just this. Very Happy

agavin wrote:

Those who spoke more about the lessons they have learned, mistakes they have made, what they want to try and learn etc. have all turned out to be quite good or better than expected.

This also resonates for me. snowHead
latest report
David Murdoch,
Point 1. No it's not a bad thing, just amusing.

Point 2. Ah Shoreditch! I have, in the past, been off piste and lecherous in a few places there! In fact I seem to recall there being nothing but nice Gentlemen's clubs there. Nice idea, but it seems, I've promised to do the local pub quiz with the Missus, in deepest Kent. Puzzled
snow conditions
beeryletcher, Case in point: Rob@rar.

I've skied with you Rob, you are not a bad skier like you try to make out occasionally. In fact sir, you are a damn fine skier (IMHO of course...)

- of course you want to get better, we all do, its just that some have a little less far to go than others (uses index finger to indicate self in said group) to attain high quality status...

Enough of the false modesty - say it like it is!

Isn't there someone on here (or was it something WTFH said a few months ago) with a tag line, " the best skier is the one with the largest smile"? So , that's me then snowHead snowHead
latest report
JimW, that's kind of you to say so; I'll try not to hide my light quite so far under the bushel in future Wink One of the reasons I don't think of myself as a good skier is that I get quite intimidated by the level of expertise on display here, and for fear of embarrassing myself when I actually ski with fellow snowHeads I try not to 'over-claim' my ability.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy