Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Racing shin pads?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to start some race training at Xscape MK, I have some skis and some poles (just about to buy boots)
and now I'm looking to buy some shin pads.

To be quite honest I don't have a clue where to go to get them or which ones to get.

Can anyone help me out with some general info?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matt Exley, I know nothing about racing, but I believe that a lot of racers go to ski bartlett for their gear. Might be an idea to speak to them...

http://www.skibartlett.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Ski Bartlett is the place. You'll also need some handguards for your poles. And Xscape Castleford have a compulsory helmet rule when running gates so I presume that MK will be the same.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Matt Exley, I would have thought EB at the dome would also have them. S&R at Hemel definitely do (ask for Martin Driscoll). We got our son's from Bartletts. Both seem to charge about the same (£40-50). Leki or Jofa or Scott.
A chin guarded helmet is of more importance IMO as are pole guards.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matt, just checking to be sure; will you be training in slalom courses (single pole), or giant slalom courses (double pole with panel), or both? Makes a difference on the equipment you will need. And as is sounds as though you will only have one pair of skis, what will they be? What sidecut radius?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, based on the fact that excape is less than 200 metres long.....it will be slalom Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Matt Exley, I bought my shin pads and hand guards from Lockwoods in Leamington Spa. You will need to shop around for a helmet though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matt Exley, Do MK have a race team notice board? I bought mine (new) for £25 from the race team in norwich - the person who organises equipment buys in bulk & cheaply - just a thought. I bought the rossignols but the scotts, were £32 - still much cheaper.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Matt Exley, You can make them from a bit of plastic gutter, some tape and foam... To start with (IMHO) handguards and a helmet would be all you'll need - shin pads can wait 'til you get near the gates....

I'm not sure of the rules in MK but out on the plastic you'll also need bungs on the end of your sticks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, You don't need bungs indoors.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Guys! Sounds like I need to speak to someone at MK Xscape to find out the exact rules.

The reason that I was eager to find out about the shin pads was because when I go skiing abroad I do about 1 hour each day with the racing team but find myself going slower than everyone else because I have to go wider round the poles than everyone else so that I don't hit them. Having only done slalom there I didn't realise that the other equipment (helmet and hand guards) were essential also.

I'm currently using some salomon poles (don't know the exact name for them) will I be able to buy hand guards to fit these? Do I need specific Guards or specific Poles?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matt Exley, No specific poles required as the hand guards clamp around the top of the pole shaft. They usually come with rubber packing pieces for use on thinner carbon poles if you have them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matt Exley, some suits have a modest amount of shin pro built in; you can also go the ready-made cheapskate route and use football pads so long as they clear the top of your boot cuff, there's less kneecap pro but they are also a lot cheaper.

<spyderjon's quick> Guards are specific only if you have fancy poles like carbon fibre or aerodynamic profile.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderjon, my poles say Allium at the top if that means anything to you?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting, I've never put them on ovalised poles before.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Interesting, I've never put them on ovalised poles before.

heatgun Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy